Mark Buehrle's Perfect American Chopper

The Ginger Kid

Buehrle is literally the coolest guy on the team. Good for them. his wife is cool as hell too. If Mark doesnt get into the HOF, he should have his number retired by the SOX. Seriously he is the best.

My favorite player was always Frank and Fisk, but after I met Mark it wasnt even close. He's the best White Sox player in history IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 05:09 AM)
Buehrle is literally the coolest guy on the team. Good for them. his wife is cool as hell too. If Mark doesnt get into the HOF, he should have his number retired by the SOX. Seriously he is the best.

My favorite player was always Frank and Fisk, but after I met Mark it wasnt even close. He's the best White Sox player in history IMO.

You had me until this last line. Everybody has their opinion. But when you break it down, Frank is the best player in franchise history. And it's not even close.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
One of the nicest players I have met on the White Sox, next to the legend Aaron Rowand

Man, the most I can stake a claim to is Miguel Olivo at Grandstand. Still a pretty cool guy, but Rowand and Buehrle is gold.

Though, I do love my brother meeting Ozzie when he was five, sitting on his lap and Ozzie said "I am your favorite player, and you are my favorite fan" after telling my Grandpa (Cubs fan who liked the Sox to, and was more of a Sox fan in his later years) "Hurry the **** up with the camera gramps."

This explains my brothers excessive swearing.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
He sure didn't sound very surprised nor very excited.

I was thinking the same thing. I only watched the short clips,not the entire show, but he didnt seem excited at all. Kinda like when you wanted some Nike shoes for Xmas and got some Pony's instead.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
He sure didn't sound very surprised nor very excited.

I'm pretty sure he either doesn't know how to ride it, or can't really ride it until he is retired (could be a clause in his contract since that is pretty dangerous, I.E. Rowand) So right now.. that's mostly all for show. But he was feelin the bike though. He LOVED the scoreboard reference and the baseballs on the wheels it seemed.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 6, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
I'm pretty sure he either doesn't know how to ride it, or can't really ride it until he is retired (could be a clause in his contract since that is pretty dangerous, I.E. Rowand) So right now.. that's mostly all for show. But he was feelin the bike though. He LOVED the scoreboard reference and the baseballs on the wheels it seemed.

Let's hope he stays off the bike, less we have flashbacks to Jay/Jason Williams.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
And you can tell his ghost I said hi right back. It's still not close. Walsh was great for his time. Frank was great for ANY time.

Some of you need to realize that good baseball players existed prior to 1980 and that not every superstar in today's game is superior to the superstars of your father's or grandfather's era.

You can opine all you want about Frank being better than Walsh, but to objectively claim that "it's not even close" is just silly. Walsh is in the Hall of Fame for good reason: He's the all-time leader in ERA (1.82), he had a 40-win season in 1908, and he had five 350+ IP seasons (including two of over 400 IP). That's a remarkable career, even for the dead-ball era. I'd love to see one of today's pitchers win 40 games or try to throw 400 innings in a single season.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Some of you need to realize that good baseball players existed prior to 1980 and that not every superstar in today's game is superior to the superstars of your father's or grandfather's era.

You can opine all you want about Frank being better than Walsh, but to objectively claim that "it's not even close" is just silly. Walsh is in the Hall of Fame for good reason: He's the all-time leader in ERA (1.82), he had a 40-win season in 1908, and he had five 350+ IP seasons (including two of over 400 IP). That's a remarkable career, even for the dead-ball era. I'd love to see one of today's pitchers win 40 games or try to throw 400 innings in a single season.

You can not equate essentially 19th century statistics to a 21st century game. I could spend an hour talking about how different things are, and how much different things would be.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
You can not equate essentially 19th century statistics to a 21st century game. I could spend an hour talking about how different things are, and how much different things would be.

Thus, one cannot objectively claim that Frank is the greatest Sox player ever and that nobody else is even close.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
Thus, one cannot objectively claim that Frank is the greatest Sox player ever and that nobody else is even close.

You can actually. It has more to do with their standings within their eras versus anything else. Really it is opinion-based, so it is hard to say that you can't make an argument.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)

Again, he was great for that time. And lol@you would like to see a pitcher today win 40 games or throw 400 innings. I'd like to see Ed Walsh in today's game attempting to keep his ERA below 10.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
Again, he was great for that time. And lol@you would like to see a pitcher today win 40 games or throw 400 innings. I'd like to see Ed Walsh in today's game attempting to keep his ERA below 10.

Think about. There was no curveball, no change up, no splitter, no slider etc.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
The guy has the lowest career ERA in the history of baseball, and you're brushing him off as though he were a joke because he played a long time ago.

So is he one of the top 10 pitchers ever? Context is very important when you want to throw out names of guys that played, like, 100 years ago. And I never brushed him off. I said from the start he was great for that time. Now if you're saying he's one of the best pitchers ever because he has the lowest ERA ever, well, I'll just stay out of it.