Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
I am going to throw this name out there, and see what happens. Mitch Daniels has to be a favorite. He doesn't have any of the skeletons that all of the people who are commonly named have.

Yea, but you talk about a guy who has done some hazy s*** to make himself look good... just ask your school districts.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
the question is...

can Rick Perry win Ohio, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Colorado, Florida, Virginia, Indiana, New Mexico, Iowa, North Carolina???

The current President can.

We'll see how things are in a couple years. The premise of the article is Obama would be vulnerable.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Yea, but you talk about a guy who has done some hazy s*** to make himself look good... just ask your school districts.

He was also the last person in the country with the surplus, and he sold off a money losing asset to do it. He is the face of Tea Party conservatism.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
He was also the last person in the country with the surplus, and he sold off a money losing asset to do it. He is the face of Tea Party conservatism.

When every commercial about your man mitch is gonna allege cooking the books, with testimonials from school adminstrators and city and town governments to do it, I don't think he'd even make it to Iowa, frankly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 04:37 AM)
But won't again...

depends who the opponent is.

Rick Perry.. i don't see him doing too well in the Ohio/PA/VA/FL areas. In those areas, moderates tend to do better than conservatives. (and i think Perry is more conservative than McCain)

Iowa, Colorado, NC, IN... he can probably win.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
When every commercial about your man mitch is gonna allege cooking the books, with testimonials from school adminstrators and city and town governments to do it, I don't think he'd even make it to Iowa, frankly.

Exactly. He won't see the light past Indianapolis, frankly.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Exactly. He won't see the light past Indianapolis, frankly.

Dude, if Sarah Palin can get this far, if Huckabee can make sure his sermons aren't released, if Guiliani can continue to be consulted as an expert on terrorism issues, if Bush's National Guard documents can just conveniently vanish, then if there's a strong enough constituency that gets behind him, that'll all just wind up under the rug.

The question is, how good are his people and how important are his backers.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
depends who the opponent is.

Rick Perry.. i don't see him doing too well in the Ohio/PA/VA/FL areas. In those areas, moderates tend to do better than conservatives. (and i think Perry is more conservative than McCain)

Iowa, Colorado, NC, IN... he can probably win.

Actually Perry would have an easy time painting himself as a moderate. Even better, he can speak about his "conversion" when the Dem party "left him" and he switched to the Repulican side of the aisle. Who is more moderate than an ex-Dem now GOP governor.

Ah crap, I'm actually beginning to believe he could find himself in the hunt.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
Actually Perry would have an easy time painting himself as a moderate. Even better, he can speak about his "conversion" when the Dem party "left him" and he switched to the Repulican side of the aisle. Who is more moderate than an ex-Dem now GOP governor.

Ah crap, I'm actually beginning to believe he could find himself in the hunt.

Til you start throwing back clips of him saying secession of Texas is an option from last summer.

How moderate is threatening to create a new civil war?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)

Everyone is cutting. He wouldn't be alone in being able to say that.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Til you start throwing back clips of him saying secession of Texas is an option from last summer.

How moderate is threatening to create a new civil war?

I guess the people that actually took that seriously probably weren't making it to the polls anyways.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 3, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
Some would call it joking.

We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot.

Rick Perry at a Teabagger event, in response to a reporter's question on April 15.

That reads like some Seinfeldesque material there!

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
Rick Perry at a Teabagger event, in response to a reporter's question on April 15.

That reads like some Seinfeldesque material there!

More sarcasm and satire to me. Do you really take those comments seriously?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
Yes, I would. Everybody did at the time, in fact.

No, not everyone. Not even close. So what did people do to try and stop him? Show me where someone took him serious and proposed how he should be stopped from doing that? Rex, you're making a paper tiger here.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
No, not everyone. Not even close. So what did people do to try and stop him? Show me where someone took him serious and proposed how he should be stopped from doing that? Rex, you're making a paper tiger here.

He didn't take any action, unless you count the states rights resolution in the spring of 2009. But plenty of people took these comments seriously, a quick google search would make it easy for me to show you how many people took it serious.

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/12227/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15...-probably-wont/

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con..._75_opt_to_stay

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con...tter_not_secede

So yeah, a number of people took it serious. So, here's the question - which is it? Was the governor making a joke at the expense of all those tea baggers who support him? Or was he being serious about states rights and the right to secede from the union? Because I gotta say, if he isn't doing one of these, he sure as hell looks like he's doing the other.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
He didn't take any action, unless you count the states rights resolution in the spring of 2009. But plenty of people took these comments seriously, a quick google search would make it easy for me to show you how many people took it serious.

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/press-release/12227/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15...-probably-wont/

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con..._75_opt_to_stay

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con...tter_not_secede

So yeah, a number of people took it serious. So, here's the question - which is it? Was the governor making a joke at the expense of all those tea baggers who support him? Or was he being serious about states rights and the right to secede from the union? Because I gotta say, if he isn't doing one of these, he sure as hell looks like he's doing the other.

Rex, you are far smarter than this. OK, you take him seriously.