Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
I just graduated with a BA degree in the human resources field. I also graduated with a 4.0 gpa. :-) Now I'm looking around for an entry-level job in the human resources field. The going has been tough, since I've been looking for a job since November.

Any leads? Any tips or advice?

GPA is only a marginal help, and once you are a few years into your career, it is meaningless. But with a full 4.0, as a recent grad, definitely make sure that is highlighted!

Here is something I just read the other day... Aon (insurance conglomerate) is adding a thousand US jobs, including 750 or so in the Chicago area, and they have said the biggest chunk of that will be in HR. They are also consolidating some remote offices into their downtown building. So they might be a good place to start.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:54 AM)
As long as your GPA is above 3.0 you should be in a pretty good position, obviously a higher one can help but many employers just check if it's 3.0 or higher and move on to other areas of concern.

When I was applying for entry level gigs, it seemed like there were 2 cutoffs. Either your GPA had to be above 3.0 or a 3.5 (for higher quality jobs).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
You guys are beating Don up a bit here, jeesh.

GPAs are less important than one would think, but if he got a 4.0 that is definitely something that shows he can consistently succeed and is a responsible, hard-worker. It's definitely not something I would overlook if I was a potential employer.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
I definitely wasn't trying to knock down that achievement, hell it's one that I never could even dream of doing.

Just have good interviewing skills Don and you'll be a great candidate :)

Thanks, guys. ^_^

I definitely agree with what iamshack said in terms of how a gpa can show that someone is a hard worker and is responsible.

Plus I'm still surprised that I was able to graduate with a 4.0 gpa, I honestly never expected it. Because I was a lifetime 2.7 gpa student in high school (never really did homework). But once I hit college, my gpa went higher and higher.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
GPA is only a marginal help, and once you are a few years into your career, it is meaningless. But with a full 4.0, as a recent grad, definitely make sure that is highlighted!

Here is something I just read the other day... Aon (insurance conglomerate) is adding a thousand US jobs, including 750 or so in the Chicago area, and they have said the biggest chunk of that will be in HR. They are also consolidating some remote offices into their downtown building. So they might be a good place to start.

Ohhhhh, thank for the heads-up! I'm definitely gonna look into Aon. :-)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
1) Have a 15min phone interview tomorrow which is most likely a precursor to a face-to-face interview in a few weeks.

2) A friend of mine passed my resume on to his boss and he's apparently very interested in me. I need to get him a revised resume by noon tomorrow and I'll probably have an interview within the next week.

Job 1 was offered to an internal candidate, i wouldn't have accepted even if they offered.

Job 2 is falling apart. The guy REALLY wants to hire me, but I'd need security clearance and he doesn't think HR will be willing to foot the bill.

Have a potential interview for another job thanks to a friend who called in a favor.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
I just graduated with a BA degree in the human resources field. I also graduated with a 4.0 gpa. :-) Now I'm looking around for an entry-level job in the human resources field. The going has been tough, since I've been looking for a job since November.

Any leads? Any tips or advice?

Don't bring up your fantasy baseball history. #2006-present

And especially don't bring up #FOBL.

Keep your chin up, brah.

Hi all-

I graduated in December with a degree in chemical engineering and am currently frustrated with my job search. I go to engineering specific websites and look for jobs available, and all I find are postings for stuff that as a fresh college grad, I don't have the necessary experience to do. Most job postings are stuff like "Sr. Project Manager"(which are obviously for the people with 20+ years of experience) and the stuff that looks promising like "Process Engineer" they say in the job requirements that an MS or PhD are required. The stuff that I have found that only requires a BS, they ask for either "3-5 years experience" or "at least 5 years experience." I became a ChE because I wanted to work in alternative energy solutions, such as batteries and biogas/biofuels. I spent all of my undergrad tailoring my studies to this so I could get in, only to now find that the engineers who work on Alt. Energy sources are very tenured in the field, and usually have the "Sr." in their job title. I've only been looking for a month and I already want to pull my hair out. I spoke with an engineer and this person said that companies are trying to save $$ by not training people and only hiring people with experience, and from a company in the same field so that they already know what they are doing. What is a fresh grad to do?

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)
Hi all-

I graduated in December with a degree in chemical engineering and am currently frustrated with my job search. I go to engineering specific websites and look for jobs available, and all I find are postings for stuff that as a fresh college grad, I don't have the necessary experience to do. Most job postings are stuff like "Sr. Project Manager"(which are obviously for the people with 20+ years of experience) and the stuff that looks promising like "Process Engineer" they say in the job requirements that an MS or PhD are required. The stuff that I have found that only requires a BS, they ask for either "3-5 years experience" or "at least 5 years experience." I became a ChE because I wanted to work in alternative energy solutions, such as batteries and biogas/biofuels. I spent all of my undergrad tailoring my studies to this so I could get in, only to now find that the engineers who work on Alt. Energy sources are very tenured in the field, and usually have the "Sr." in their job title. I've only been looking for a month and I already want to pull my hair out. I spoke with an engineer and this person said that companies are trying to save $$ by not training people and only hiring people with experience, and from a company in the same field so that they already know what they are doing. What is a fresh grad to do?

Look into non-alternative energy companies, or those who are primarily non-alt. Places like BP are hiring like crazy, or were, and they love hiring college graduates.

Your first few years may be better served to work at a place like BP, where you get paid extremely well, get great experience, and open up doors to the "Senior" positions you desire at companies you want to work at down the road.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 12:09 AM)
Look into non-alternative energy companies, or those who are primarily non-alt. Places like BP are hiring like crazy, or were, and they love hiring college graduates.

Your first few years may be better served to work at a place like BP, where you get paid extremely well, get great experience, and open up doors to the "Senior" positions you desire at companies you want to work at down the road.

I have been looking for those type of positions. I realized about 2nd semester junior year that this was the case with the alt energy companies. BP isn't hiring until September, neither is Shell. I went to their website and it said so on their "Students/Recent grad" tab. I also don't know if they'd even consider me due to the fact that my undergrad research experience was so heavy on alt energy stuff. It just seems like something that they wouldn't want in a candidate to me.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:16 AM)
I have been looking for those type of positions. I realized about 2nd semester junior year that this was the case with the alt energy companies. BP isn't hiring until September, neither is Shell. I went to their website and it said so on their "Students/Recent grad" tab. I also don't know if they'd even consider me due to the fact that my undergrad research experience was so heavy on alt energy stuff. It just seems like something that they wouldn't want in a candidate to me.

I may be way wrong, so don't quote me on this, but I think those companies could definitely use someone with your experience.

1. They are constantly trying to make their processes more environmentally friendly, which alt energy could help do.

2. I think they have smaller side projects with alt energy processes. They want to show the world they aren't 100% oil and they do care about the future, so alt energy is something they work with a little bit.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:16 AM)

Don't shy away from positions due to their experience requirements. Keep in mind, that is the ideal candidate the hiring manager would like to find...it doesn't mean those candidates actually exist. As long as they don't require 5+ years in something, I would go ahead and apply. Worst thing they can do is dump your resume. And who knows...all you need is one hiring manager to be interested...

Something else...have you looked into working for a public utility? Are you willing to relocate?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
Don't shy away from positions due to their experience requirements. Keep in mind, that is the ideal candidate the hiring manager would like to find...it doesn't mean those candidates actually exist. As long as they don't require 5+ years in something, I would go ahead and apply. Worst thing they can do is dump your resume. And who knows...all you need is one hiring manager to be interested...

Something else...have you looked into working for a public utility? Are you willing to relocate?

1. Not really. I guess working for a power generation plant or water reclamation wouldn't be that bad.(except for the foul smell)

2. I'd prefer to stay in the Chicago area, but I'm open to moving to certain areas of the country if necessary. I realize that the jobs might not be here. I'm giving myself another month or so to look for jobs in Chicago, but if I don't get an interview or even a call back in that time, I'll start looking nationwide for jobs as well, location be damned.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
1. Not really. I guess working for a power generation plant or water reclamation wouldn't be that bad.(except for the foul smell)

2. I'd prefer to stay in the Chicago area, but I'm open to moving to certain areas of the country if necessary. I realize that the jobs might not be here. I'm giving myself another month or so to look for jobs in Chicago, but if I don't get an interview or even a call back in that time, I'll start looking nationwide for jobs as well, location be damned.

Slim,

There are a ton of positions where you would be valuable in the utility industry, not just in plants or a reclamation plant. Utilities all have Renewables departments where you would be very valuable.

I work on the trading floor of a utility and we have people from all sorts of backgrounds here...and the workforce is very geriatric in general so they are always people retiring.

Not sure how many people I will reach with posts, but here's my thoughts.

I am working in an entry level position with a startup in Chicago and I am doing a job that I have only three months of experience in. It isn't that difficult - write press releases, post them to the wire, monitor the media mentions of competitors and our industry and reach out to journalists or media outlets when you have news.

The issue with this job? I am a self starter that takes new tasks, but I need a manager or boss that has experience in media relations given that my current boss doesn't know dick about PR. I feel like I sit there on certain days just trying to think of things to do when there's nothing to pitch. The unfortunate thing is that our founders think that the press releases we put out are newsworthy, when they most certainly are not. I get the "you're getting experience," "you could get big with the startup" and "you're learning" responses, but I haven't learned anything since October and I have three internships under my belt. Would you stay here since the economy is "that bad?" Or should I continue working till my review or six months while studying for the GRE and start looking for a new job in the meantime?

Have a job interview for a Temporary Credit and Collections position with Montana-Dakota Utilities tomorrow, which is actually based out of Bismarck. The deadline for the application was actually last Monday and, after applying for about 4 or 5 other positions within the company, I was finally called back for an interview, and it's scheduled for tomorrow (in fact, all of their interviews will be done tomorrow and Wednesday...I obviously have no idea how many people they called in for an interview, but it seems as though they'd like to hire someone quickly). It's, at the minimum, a 10 month gig, and on the phone the interviewer suggested that they were going to try and make it into a full-time position at some point down the road. I also think I know the guy who will be interviewing me, which can't hurt.

What difficult questions should I be looking for? I have a pretty good idea as to a few, but this site only lists questions and no answers, so I have no idea how I'd answer a couple of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly when you get into the more off balance questions, it isn't about a "right" answer, it is about your thought process and how you answer. It is about seeing how you think on your feet when you get thrown a curveball.

For a job like this, I would imagine the questions would center around dealing with difficult, angry, and/or non-cooperative customers.

I only got like 1 or 2 questions like that, and for both of them I gave a couple different scenarios I've been in and my reasoning behind my actions in both of them.

I actually think I interviewed pretty well, and they seem to need a lot of help pretty much right away, so I am feeling really good about it right now. Just have to cross my fingers at this point. Even if it ultimately is just a temporary 10 month position, I would love to have any experience I can get having to do with anything financially.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Your GPA means pretty much nothing, fwiw.

That couldn't be less true in a lot of areas. I know if you don't have an X GPA and you went into my profession, you'd have zero chance working for one of the top 4 firms in my industry.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
That couldn't be less true in a lot of areas. I know if you don't have an X GPA and you went into my profession, you'd have zero chance working for one of the top 4 firms in my industry.

Many companies have 3.5 GPA cutoffs now, but there are ways around it but it makes it a lot harder to apply if you don't have a high enough GPA.

That said, once your application makes it past that first set of screeners then it doesn't matter much.

The company I work for just bounced my payroll check, found out my family's insurance was canceled Nov 30th (because they haven't paid) and they haven't sent in the money they take out of my check for my IRA since October. I'm a area manager for a rental company. I do logistics, customer resolution, inventory control, hiring/firing, sales, training, scheduling, AR and I'm the key contact for our account customers.

I don't have a college degree, but I've been at my current job for 6+ years. I also had a management position for a building maintenance company downtown before this job.

I know most of you will think I'm crazy for not contacting the Department of Labor, and you are probably right. It's a family owned business and they tell me they'll take care of everything, but my trust in them is gone. That's why I'm exploring other opportunities at the moment.

If anyone has any job leads for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tuna

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)

Yeah, when I was looking at internships/jobs in college, so about 2008-2010, the cutoff for E&Y (and the rest of the Big 4, but I think E&Y recruited Kelley the most) was at least 3.5, sometimes 3.7.