Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
Not really. Commercial leases are different than residential. The actual rent isnt the issue. It's understanding how the terms apply to a business. There's an understanding under the law that you have the necessary background or support to understand the terms.

By the way, you should also realize that you will need permits and licenses and inspections to sells food. These will take time even after you have the space. You will likely be responsible under the lease to have the space up to code for your purposes.

I actually took safe food handling classes when I thought I was gonna run a local pizza place...That fell through so I never ended up getting my license but I know where they do the classes and such. The lady that runs the classes is a food inspector so she can help me get the necessary things done.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
I actually took safe food handling classes when I thought I was gonna run a local pizza place...That fell through so I never ended up getting my license but I know where they do the classes and such. The lady that runs the classes is a food inspector so she can help me get the necessary things done.

She might also have information about local small business groups that provide support for first time owners. Especially if you are in an area trying to "redevelop". Before signing anything I would attend some meetings.

Oh and you should check your city's information for registering a business. There will be some paperwork and a filing fee in order to get a tax ID (I think).

You should also make sure that the location's kitchen hasn't been gutted and meets the standards of a "commercial kitchen" under FDA and local law. Inspectors will have to come and check that before you can sell food.

Everything you post about the restaurant comes off like:

"I think I can hit .300 in the big leagues. I just need to be given the chance. Since I believe I can do it, no doubt that I would."

Yet the only swings you've taken are at the slow pitch at the batting cages.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
Everything you post about the restaurant comes off like:

"I think I can hit .300 in the big leagues. I just need to be given the chance. Since I believe I can do it, no doubt that I would."

Yet the only swings you've taken are at the slow pitch at the batting cages.

Hey now, I can hit in the fast pitch batting cages. At near 300 pounds, i take pride in that. lol

Really though I've googled "how to run a successful restaurant" and read 5 or 6 articles and I've still yet to think "Oh man I can't do this". The only thing I've read that worries me a bit is "Good location" talks. I know this isn't a good location, and that scares me a little bit but the fact that it's been around for 75 years kinda encourages me a bit on that situation.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
You've googled "how to run a restaurant" and read 5 or 6 articles? Well that's all you had to say. It's obvious you know what you're doing. I don't know why everyone is giving you a hard time.

Yup, Google is your friend.

I'm not gonna get the money anyways, so it's all pointless in the end.

Let's all just drop it....Until I somehow get the money then come back to shove it you're faces =p

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 08:59 PM)
Yup, Google is your friend.

I'm not gonna get the money anyways, so it's all pointless in the end.

Let's all just drop it....Until I somehow get the money then come back to shove it you're faces =p

he was being incredibly sarcastic...

and you're right, you won't get the money. but if you had an actual business plan, you might be able to. them's the facts.

it's just up to you whether or not this dream is something you're ACTUALLY interested in or not.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
he was being incredibly sarcastic...

and you're right, you won't get the money. but if you had an actual business plan, you might be able to. them's the facts.

it's just up to you whether or not this dream is something you're ACTUALLY interested in or not.

Ive been interested in this specific location since i was like 10.

and i know he was sarcastic.

I think people need to lay off Sin a bit, he's taken the advice you've given him and it's not like he hasn't agreed with it (for the most part).

It seems to be more of a fantasy scenario, and we all have those.

Hell, I search condos in the my area when I'm bored and dream up situations where I actually would buy one (I'm 7 mths out of college, and bought a new car, and still have like 6 mths on my lease). It's just something fun to think about, and it won't happen now but it's just a nice little dream to have.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
I think people need to lay off Sin a bit, he's taken the advice you've given him and it's not like he hasn't agreed with it (for the most part).

It seems to be more of a fantasy scenario, and we all have those.

Hell, I search condos in the my area when I'm bored and dream up situations where I actually would buy one (I'm 7 mths out of college, and bought a new car, and still have like 6 mths on my lease). It's just something fun to think about, and it won't happen now but it's just a nice little dream to have.

Thank you sir.

Ya at this point it's nothing more than a dream and I've said that many a times. I've also agreed the way to do it is from the bottom up but this is a special circumstance with it being so close to me, both physically and sentimentally (been getting food from there all my life). It certainly is fun to entertain the idea.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 05:04 AM)
Thank you sir.

Ya at this point it's nothing more than a dream and I've said that many a times. I've also agreed the way to do it is from the bottom up but this is a special circumstance with it being so close to me, both physically and sentimentally (been getting food from there all my life). It certainly is fun to entertain the idea.

Your only hope right now is to find an investor who likes you with money money money. Find him or her.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
Anyone work in administration for a university?

Recently had some interesting discussions with a recruiter at a prominent university about potentially joining one...

Interesting, in what capacity? (if you can reveal any more details).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Interesting, in what capacity? (if you can reveal any more details).

Not sure yet...I was at my best friend's wedding in the Chi this weekend and ran into an old friend that I have worked for in the past. She recently has taken over recruitment for the university and was asking a lot of questions about what it would take for her to bring me on over there. We're looking at potential fits now.

Probably something where I am analyzing data and research to help guide future decision-making for certain programs...most of my skills are in those areas.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Not sure yet...I was at my best friend's wedding in the Chi this weekend and ran into an old friend that I have worked for in the past. She recently has taken over recruitment for the university and was asking a lot of questions about what it would take for her to bring me on over there. We're looking at potential fits now.

Probably something where I am analyzing data and research to help guide future decision-making for certain programs...most of my skills are in those areas.

I worked for a law school for a couple of years and while my experience won't be an exact match I think it would be similar. Generally speaking, it's laid back, great hours and benefits and, in my experience, people with new ideas will be heard.

Downside usually, depending on the school, is that you work in tight budgets and might have to go beyond your job description just to get your projects complete. Sorta like any other job.

One unique thing is working with professors. They can be awesome or they can be jerks. But they will always think they are your boss.

One more thing, if its a private school you have to know the financials. They are a lot of schools who are scraping by and have been stingy about raises.

Edited by G&T