Five Years Ago Today - 10/22/2005

clyons

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
2005 - awesome.

Since then ... a surprise.

I thought the Sox would continue excellence if not domination for some time to come.

Right after the Sox won it all, I think there was a feeling the team might have a sustained run. Granted we haven't fallen off the map with some playoff appearances, but as it stands TODAY, the team certainly doesn't look like an AL champion contender for some time to come.

Our everyday lineup is not championship caliber. Our pitching (on paper) IS championship caliber.

Unfortunately our pitching has been far from consistent and our bullpen has been poor the past 2 seasons at least.

05 ... magical. Tear-inducing.

Since then ... Tear inducing for the wrong reasons.

agreed. KW really needs to inject some offensive pop into the lineup. When I was looking at Texas' lineup last night, I was like "man this team is deep!" We are certainly far from that. As of right now, our 2 best offensive players are Ramirez and Rios. We are going to need more than that!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
2005 - awesome.

I thought the Sox would continue excellence if not domination for some time to come.

Right after the Sox won it all, I think there was a feeling the team might have a sustained run. Granted we haven't fallen off the map with some playoff appearances, but as it stands TODAY, the team certainly doesn't look like an AL champion contender for some time to come.

Our everyday lineup is not championship caliber. Our pitching (on paper) IS championship caliber.

Unfortunately our pitching has been far from consistent and our bullpen has been poor the past 2 seasons at least.

Yeah. Pretty much.

2008 was still pretty awesome.

Do you subscribe to the opinion that Brad Lidge should have pitched in game 6, to sort of get that taste out of his mouth?

Tim McCarver: "I don't think that taste is there"

Joe Buck: "Podsednik swings and hits a high fly ball, deep right center field, that ball is gone!"

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
2005 - awesome.

I thought this going into 2007 because of the lineup looking like the '27 Yankees, then almost everyone had the worst year of their careers at the same time. This is why that season was such a punch in the solar plexus. The wheels just came flying off. 2008 was a nice surprise but then 2009 overrode any lingering thoughts from that. 2010 was a disappointment any way I look at it.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Weren't you like 2 when the Bears won the Superbowl? You didn't live through that title run like you did with the Sox. I could care less about the 85 Bears because it means nothing to me. I respect history, but it brings me no emotion.

The Sox World Series run took over my life, just like many others. I'll never be sick of the 2005 season.

To say the very least, that is how I felt, too. I'm positive that I took time off of my lifespan with all of the worrying/pressure/excitement. October of 2005 was consumed by the White Sox.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
To say the very least, that is how I felt, too. I'm positive that I took time off of my lifespan with all of the worrying/pressure/excitement. October of 2005 was consumed by the White Sox.

seriously haha. Also, i'll never forget going into a german exam still drunk and off 1 hour of sleep the day after we won. I actually got an A too. But yeah i did think after it was all over, that it was ridiculous how anxious and stressed I was considering we were 11-1 in the playoffs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
seriously haha. Also, i'll never forget going into a german exam still drunk and off 1 hour of sleep the day after we won. I actually got an A too. But yeah i did think after it was all over, that it was ridiculous how anxious and stressed I was considering we were 11-1 in the playoffs.

That was such a bad semester to start college. Nothing else in the world mattered at that time.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)

Haha the bolded is so true. We realistically had one of the most dominant postseason rules to a championship sports has ever seen, but because of the whole 1917 thing and how close a lot of the games were, it was so incredibly stressful. I don't want to imagine how I would have been had the series been going 6 or 7 games (or 4 or 5 in round 1).

As for the "over it" thing, 2005 is no longer a defense for Kenny and Ozzie and their job security. As far as I'm concerned, they should be held to the same standards as anybody else in regards to whether to retaining their employment, and 2005 should not play a factor at all in regards to if they stay around or not.

HOWEVER, I'll never be "over" 2005. It was an absolutely incredible ride for me as a fan, and a dream come true to see the Sox win the World Series. As a fan growing up, especially of the White Sox and Blackhawks (always my 2 very favorite teams), all I asked from the mythical sports gods was to see each of them win it all once. I'll always hold my teams to a high standard, but the 2005 White Sox and 2010 Blackhawks will always hold a special place for me because they fufilled my one wish as a sports fan, and that is to know how it feels to see your team be the best.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)

I remember feeling very fortunate I had no conflicts and could watch every inning of that postseason. Was magical. The games were close but the sweep of the Astros was perfect. Nothing could have gone better.

I remember really wanting to finish off the sweep, not because I wanted it sooner, but because the Astros had Clemens, Pettitte, and Oswalt going in the next 3 games, and considering what the Red Sox had done the year before, I was a bit scared. Looking back on it now, I'm not sure the Sox really had anything to worry about, because they likely would have ended it in game 5 anyways because the Sox have historically hit Clemens pretty well (and that year was no different), Clemens was hurt anyways, and the odds of the Sox not winning one of those next 3 was pretty minimal to begin with the way Contreras, Buehrle and whichever of Garland and Garcia would have gone in game 7 (really probably could have gone to either of them).

But yeah, I still pop in the World Series DVDs from time to time and just smile. That was a joyride.

The epic, 14-inning Game 3 was 5 years ago tonight (10/25/05). All four WS games were close and intense, but this one may be my favorite. I feel that its kind of the "red-headed step child" of the 2005 Series, especially next to Games 2 and 4, but the comeback against Oswalt was fantastic, the nervous excitement of extras was immense, and the Blum homer was almost, if not more, surprising than Scotty Pod's. MB out of the pen for the save rocked too.

After the win, I was so full of adreneline I could barely get to sleep, as I was flying down to Houston the next morning.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HO...200510250.shtml

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
That was such a bad semester to start college. Nothing else in the world mattered at that time.

THIS. Although it was a great way to meet people for me. I remember having like 15 people in my dorm room just watching game 2. October 26th, 2005 was my favorite night in college.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
I may as well post a memory or two here...This one starts for tomorrow...(might need to play in Windows media, for some reason winamp can't read this file any more).

Farmio made that call? Where was Rooney? Taking a pee break? That kinda sucks.

Man it's a good thing Hawk wasn't working the post season. He would have had a coronary or would have regurgitated his freaking voice box.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
Haha the bolded is so true. We realistically had one of the most dominant postseason rules to a championship sports has ever seen, but because of the whole 1917 thing and how close a lot of the games were, it was so incredibly stressful. I don't want to imagine how I would have been had the series been going 6 or 7 games (or 4 or 5 in round 1).

As for the "over it" thing, 2005 is no longer a defense for Kenny and Ozzie and their job security. As far as I'm concerned, they should be held to the same standards as anybody else in regards to whether to retaining their employment, and 2005 should not play a factor at all in regards to if they stay around or not.

HOWEVER, I'll never be "over" 2005. It was an absolutely incredible ride for me as a fan, and a dream come true to see the Sox win the World Series. As a fan growing up, especially of the White Sox and Blackhawks (always my 2 very favorite teams), all I asked from the mythical sports gods was to see each of them win it all once. I'll always hold my teams to a high standard, but the 2005 White Sox and 2010 Blackhawks will always hold a special place for me because they fufilled my one wish as a sports fan, and that is to know how it feels to see your team be the best.

Yeah, that whole first part I couldn't agree with more.

Bmags, I had a Spanish class the next day (I usually had two classes on Tuesday/Thursday, but the other was cancelled the week before). All we had for that day was to watch a movie. I missed quite a few days in that class, so I figured I should go. I was never happier to wake up for an 8:00 a.m. class, sitting there not paying attention for a second to that movie with a huge smile on my face.

I went to school in Massachusetts, but I had a teacher who was a Sox fan. He grew up in (I believe) North Carolina and grew up watching one of the Sox minor league teams. I had his class on M/W/F, but I sure didn't go to his Friday class because it was my only class of the day. I sent a cigar for him with another friend who had the class with the message "I'm sure you understand why I'm not there."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
I remember really wanting to finish off the sweep, not because I wanted it sooner, but because the Astros had Clemens, Pettitte, and Oswalt going in the next 3 games, and considering what the Red Sox had done the year before, I was a bit scared. Looking back on it now, I'm not sure the Sox really had anything to worry about, because they likely would have ended it in game 5 anyways because the Sox have historically hit Clemens pretty well (and that year was no different), Clemens was hurt anyways, and the odds of the Sox not winning one of those next 3 was pretty minimal to begin with the way Contreras, Buehrle and whichever of Garland and Garcia would have gone in game 7 (really probably could have gone to either of them).

But yeah, I still pop in the World Series DVDs from time to time and just smile. That was a joyride.

I still don't believe that was a real injury.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
THIS. Although it was a great way to meet people for me. I remember having like 15 people in my dorm room just watching game 2. October 26th, 2005 was my favorite night in college.

Not for me. I was the most anti-social person on the planet for those few months. Didn't care to talk to anyone, went to class, came back to my dorm room, bought some food and got ready to watch the games.

I got just as caught up in the last week of the 2008 season too. From the start of that Twins series until the end of the year, I would get home from work, pour myself a cocktail, and sit on the couch and yell at the TV for 3 hours. (Well, I did go to game 163 though). It was intense and took over my life, plus they kept losing at first which it made it more maddening.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
Not for me. I was the most anti-social person on the planet for those few months. Didn't care to talk to anyone, went to class, came back to my dorm room, bought some food and got ready to watch the games.

Same for me. I was a sophomore in college and I only watched with one other guy. I don't think I could've handled a bunch of people around.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
Yeah, that whole first part I couldn't agree with more.

Bmags, I had a Spanish class the next day (I usually had two classes on Tuesday/Thursday, but the other was cancelled the week before). All we had for that day was to watch a movie. I missed quite a few days in that class, so I figured I should go. I was never happier to wake up for an 8:00 a.m. class, sitting there not paying attention for a second to that movie with a huge smile on my face.

I went to school in Massachusetts, but I had a teacher who was a Sox fan. He grew up in (I believe) North Carolina and grew up watching one of the Sox minor league teams. I had his class on M/W/F, but I sure didn't go to his Friday class because it was my only class of the day. I sent a cigar for him with another friend who had the class with the message "I'm sure you understand why I'm not there."

That is awesome!!!

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Same for me. I was a sophomore in college and I only watched with one other guy. I don't think I could've handled a bunch of people around.

Ya, even for the first round of 08, I only watched with one other person or locked myself in my room and watched by myself. There's only a few people I can even handle being around during a White Sox playoff game.