Kerry Wood signs 1 year, $1.5 million deal with Cubs

caulfield12

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
Jesus, Wood still has electric stuff. I used to watch the end of Cubs games just to watch him and Marmol go to work. This would give us an incredible amount of flexibility at the end of games. Bring him home, KW.

I would ask where he's gonna get the money from, but have already been proven wrong on that question.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago, there were rumors of Todd Walker going to play for the Sox. He said something about how he could never switch teams within the city of Chicago, and Wood was the first person to say that Walker was dead on for saying that. I would be shocked to see Wood agree to play for the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Dunn also didn't say he wouldn't play for the Sox repeatedly either.

Is him not being able to "see himself wearing" a White Sox jersey the same as saying, "no, I won't play for the Sox?" I mean, he was a Cub so it's only natural to say something like that. I am sure Johnny Damon said something along the same lines many times while with the Red Sox before seeing himself wearing a Yankees jersey.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:30 AM)
Really guys, KW is not trading one of those guys as a salary dump in order to bring in Kerry Wood or Jesse Crain. It's just not happening. Only way those guys get moved is if it's a legit good deal.

Agreed, I think KW would be motivated to deal someone like Floyd for a few good prospects. If they do sign Wood to close, then maybe Sale goes into the rotation?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Dunn also didn't say he wouldn't play for the Sox repeatedly either.

Maybe Wood talked to KW or JR or Ozzie or all three and maybe Cooper or a few players and had a change of heart, especially if they were offering him the most cash. This guy signed with Cleveland 2 years ago. Its not like he really has standards.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
A few years ago, there were rumors of Todd Walker going to play for the Sox. He said something about how he could never switch teams within the city of Chicago, and Wood was the first person to say that Walker was dead on for saying that. I would be shocked to see Wood agree to play for the Sox.

Hopefully Kerry would rather go for a World Series than stand behind some pointless jibber jabber. He is at the point of his career where he's got a couple years left, why not go to a place you are comfortable in and have a great chance to win?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
Agreed, I think KW would be motivated to deal someone like Floyd for a few good prospects. If they do sign Wood to close, then maybe Sale goes into the rotation?

I think it would be Jackson. He makes the most money and is only signed for a year. The way money is being thrown around this offseason, he's still a bargain.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)

I'd be equally surprised if KW traded any of those guys without getting his replacement in the trade. If he trades a SP, he's getting a SP who can step in back (a-la the Garcia for Floyd and Gio trade, or the McCarthy for Danks trade).

There's no way he opens the season with a rotation of Buehrle, Danks, Jackson, Sale, Harrell, and there's no way that say, Jordan Danks or Mark Teahen are your opening day RF's next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
I'd be equally surprised if KW traded any of those guys without getting his replacement in the trade. If he trades a SP, he's getting a SP who can step in back (a-la the Garcia for Floyd and Gio trade, or the McCarthy for Danks trade).

There's no way he opens the season with a rotation of Buehrle, Danks, Jackson, Sale, Harrell, and there's no way that say, Jordan Danks or Mark Teahen are your opening day RF's next year.

Or he can trade a guy like Jackson for prospects get his money off the books and re-sign Garcia for a fraction of Jackson's cost. Its a downgrade, and it always seems like Freddy is going to fall apart, but he keeps you in games most of the time.

ill pass on wood, he was ok last yr but i dont want him. hes too wild(6.2 walks per 9in), was a cub and doesnt want to be here and i perfer that our pitchers actually throw baseballs, not towels

and esp. not for the 6mil a yr he wants

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
ill pass on wood, he was ok last yr but i dont want him. hes too wild(6.2 walks per 9in), was a cub and doesnt want to be here and i perfer that our pitchers actually throw baseballs, not towels

Wrong frequently injured Cub pitcher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
Or he can trade a guy like Jackson for prospects get his money off the books and re-sign Garcia for a fraction of Jackson's cost. Its a downgrade, and it always seems like Freddy is going to fall apart, but he keeps you in games most of the time.

Why would he do that?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
Wrong frequently injured Cub pitcher.

he used to do the towel drill all the time, hes been on the d.l. a million times

(when he went on the d.l. in june,it was the 14th time in his career lol, so not the wrong cub)

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
he used to do the towel drill all the time, hes been on the d.l. a million times

(when he went on the d.l. in june,it was the 14th time in his career lol, so not the wrong cub)

Prior was the towel throw king though. Wood was the master of the simulated games.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
Prior was the towel throw king though. Wood was the master of the simulated games.

(he did do the towel drill too though) anyways, i dont like wood at the 2/12 that he wants, hes just now reliable at all. i realize u can say that about any reliever but i rather stay away, esp. since he doesnt want to be here.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
(he did do the towel drill too though) anyways, i dont like wood at the 2/12 that he wants, hes just now reliable at all. i realize u can say that about any reliever but i rather stay away, esp. since he doesnt want to be here.

But if he does sign here then isn't that a moot point? He's not going to sign here if he doesn't want to play for the team, we're not the only organization interested in him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
If we got Wood (ha), we would have to be considered along with the other Sox the favorites no? Yankees have no rotation. And Rangers lost Lee.

Wood or no Wood, the Red Sox are the clear favorites on paper and our Sox and the Yankees would be the only teams with even a remote shot at beating them.

That's just on paper though.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)

I want Wood (teheheh), but also not at the 2 yrs/$12M price. I would be ok with 2 yrs/$9M, but not anything over that.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
But if he does sign here then isn't that a moot point? He's not going to sign here if he doesn't want to play for the team, we're not the only organization interested in him.

i guess his wildness kind of scares me, electric stuff though i guess. would u be happy if the sox signed him?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)

LOL - Todd Walker? Why the hell would he care? He played 2.5 years there and never played in more than 130 games. What an idiot if he said that.

I wonder what Roberto Alomar would have said about going from the Sox to the Cubs? LOL.