2011 TV Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 04:41 AM)
Good Luck to the people who enjoy The Walking Dead. Hope it keeps entertaining you. I think I am out. I gave it the first season and the first 3 episodes and it just hasn't pulled me in outside of that Herd scene in the premiere. Acting is awful and most of the characters are uninteresting.

Time for me to see other people.

I still enjoy it, but to be honest, I can't put my finger on exactly why. You are correct in that the characters are uninteresting. They're mostly all just paper-thin, no depth at all (but it has only been 9 episodes, to be fair). And I agree with you that the acting is pretty bad, but that might be caused by the lack of any dimensions for the characters. The only actors that are drawing me in are Andrew Lincoln (though the stuff with the son being shot is weak), Jeffrey DeMunn, and surprisingly Norman Reedus.

I think the characters will develop more with time, as with most shows. They just need to find their balance in mixing character development and zombie attacks (which is what will draw the vast majority of viewers). For this show to survive, they're basically going to have to have a zombie attack/close call in every episode, possibly even twice. And between that, add levels to the individual characters. It seems right now that they're covering the zombie part fine, but all of the in-between stuff is just getting you to the next zombie attack. They need to use the "boring" parts to really make you feel for the characters.

EDIT: Take Otis for example. His death last night was unexpected (although you knew what happened basically as soon as Shane couldn't explain what went down). But it could have been much, much better if they had actually given that character time to grow. There was a lot of potential in Otis, and you really would have been drawn in if the same thing happened after you got attached to the character. And now it just seems rushed and not that big of a deal because we just met the guy.

Man, I used a lot of parentheses.

Edited by Milkman delivers

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
Looks good. I may.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
I'm gonna give it a go. Looks interesting and I like the idea. Depends on how they execute it though.

I agree it looks like it may be pretty good and AMC surely delivers in the drama category. I'm just juggling too many shows right now and that would be 3 on Sunday night alone with Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire.

It's a gametime decision at this point but I'm leaning towards giving it a shot.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
I agree it looks like it may be pretty good and AMC surely delivers in the drama category. I'm just juggling too many shows right now and that would be 3 on Sunday night alone with Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire.

It's a gametime decision at this point but I'm leaning towards giving it a shot.

Tell me about it. I already watch Dexter, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire and the cartoon lineup on Fox. I'd like to watch Homeland, Hell On Wheels, and Boss (is that on Sunday or Friday, as I've heard both?). There's just too much good s*** right now.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
Tell me about it. I already watch Dexter, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire and the cartoon lineup on Fox. I'd like to watch Homeland, Hell On Wheels, and Boss (is that on Sunday or Friday, as I've heard both?). There's just too much good s*** right now.

Speaking of, what the hell was up with that Family Guy episode?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)

I can never not watch SNF (unless the Colts have been involved). What that means is I haven't seen any of the Sunday night shows yet. Tonight the Blackhawks are on and fantasy implications have me very interested in the football game again. Oh, and I have to give candy to asshole kids.

IE - no headway will be made on the DVR. Again.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
Speaking of, what the hell was up with that Family Guy episode?

They throw in some relatively serious ones on occasion. I don't know why. At this point, I watch it the same way I watch The Simpsons. It's got a couple of laughs in it, but it's a shell of its former self. I watch it because it's Family Guy/The Simpsons.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 04:41 AM)
Good Luck to the people who enjoy The Walking Dead. Hope it keeps entertaining you. I think I am out. I gave it the first season and the first 3 episodes and it just hasn't pulled me in outside of that Herd scene in the premiere. Acting is awful and most of the characters are uninteresting.

Time for me to see other people.

In fairness the first season was only 6 episodes so this is basically still the first season where character development hasn't completed. Shane has totally changed as we've seen the show and that's something that probably helps the show going forward. I like the development of Daryl surprisingly. He seems like a good character going forward.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
I'm gonna give it another episode or two, but I'm about over it as well. The first episode was ok, the second was awful, and last night was better but still pretty meh. It's too damned slow. I don't expect them to be chased by zombies and have incredible escapes EVERY episode, but geez, enough with Rick and his wife sobbing and crying. I had enough of that last week, why did they have to do it AGAIN? Every time they started talking I checked out and surfed the net on my phone. SO BORING. At least this episode they tried to cover some of the other characters, but so far these three episodes could have been combined into one.

I agreed with Sepinwall too - the show needs to figure out the zombie rules. One scene they're running full speed, the next they can barely walk at a normal pace. Be consistent!

The second episode was bad, too much crying and not enough doing. I felt like I was watching a zombie version of Lost with the flashbacks. I'll still watch because the episode cliffhangers are solid. The ending to this last episode is very encouraging.

As for the inconsistent zombie speeds the creator of the comics said that it depends on when the person turned. If they died before the change could take effect their body wouldn't be able to move very well. If they died and shortly after turned they can move at a pretty decent clip. None of them are going to be all out sprinting, but they move.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
In fairness the first season was only 6 episodes so this is basically still the first season where character development hasn't completed. Shane has totally changed as we've seen the show and that's something that probably helps the show going forward. I like the development of Daryl surprisingly. He seems like a good character going forward.

The second episode was bad, too much crying and not enough doing. I felt like I was watching a zombie version of Lost with the flashbacks. I'll still watch because the episode cliffhangers are solid. The ending to this last episode is very encouraging.

As for the inconsistent zombie speeds the creator of the comics said that it depends on when the person turned. If they died before the change could take effect their body wouldn't be able to move very well. If they died and shortly after turned they can move at a pretty decent clip. None of them are going to be all out sprinting, but they move.

Seems like we are thinking very similarly.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
I'm gonna give it another episode or two, but I'm about over it as well. The first episode was ok, the second was awful, and last night was better but still pretty meh. It's too damned slow. I don't expect them to be chased by zombies and have incredible escapes EVERY episode, but geez, enough with Rick and his wife sobbing and crying. I had enough of that last week, why did they have to do it AGAIN? Every time they started talking I checked out and surfed the net on my phone. SO BORING. At least this episode they tried to cover some of the other characters, but so far these three episodes could have been combined into one.

I agreed with Sepinwall too - the show needs to figure out the zombie rules. One scene they're running full speed, the next they can barely walk at a normal pace. Be consistent!

Dammit, I was going to put this in my winter queue to watch.

Just watched Dexter and Boardwalk Empire. Dexter was good, Boardwalk Empire was really good. Even though nobody acknowledged EJO, it's starting to look like he actually does exist. Of course, this can still be purposeful misleading by the writers. I'm really loving the addition of William Forsythe. And I'm left confused on where Van Alden's storyline is going.

QUOTE (juddling @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
Agreement

Well.....in a totally not surprising move...Fox and Direct tv kissed and made up......

That's surprising.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
There was a lot done in Dexter last night to throw us off the idea that EJM is a dark passenger or figment of Colin Hanks imagination. I still think he is, but I thought it was very odd when

Colin Hanks called him at the church after Dexter carjacked him. It was also pretty strange when EJM went into hiding after his picture was in the paper and Colin Hanks couldnt kidnap the girl by himself.

I still think that he is a dark passenger, but I think he is more of a split personality a la Tyler Durden.

That's where I now think it's going.

For those with DVR issues, most of the cable shows air multiple times on premiere night. I assume that's well known though. I believe "Walking Dead" airs three or four times in a row on Sundays. As does "Dexter" and others. "Boss" premieres on Fridays.

I really like "Walking Dead" and the character development. I know some my find it boring, but I see it as a realistic version of how things would be if zombies overran us.

In regards to "Dexter," there is supposed to be a huge, show changing twist next week.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
There was a lot done in Dexter last night to throw us off the idea that EJM is a dark passenger or figment of Colin Hanks imagination. I still think he is, but I thought it was very odd when

Colin Hanks called him at the church after Dexter carjacked him. It was also pretty strange when EJM went into hiding after his picture was in the paper and Colin Hanks couldnt kidnap the girl by himself.

I still think that he is a dark passenger, but I think he is more of a split personality a la Tyler Durden.

Wow it didnt even cross my mind that EJM might be his imagination. That was probably pretty obvious to everyone else though I assume.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 1, 2011 -> 08:09 AM)
HIMYM: The Barney is a Canadian storyline was funny, but other than that, the show is a big meh. I'm caring less & less as to who the mother is anyway.

Very true. Josh Radnor is acting like he doesn't care anymore either. Jason Segel is completely wasted now too.