Frank Hall of Fame chances

BamaDoc

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Frank's 1.217 OPS that season is the 18th best OPS of all time. Take out Bonds' 4 seasons on that list and McGwire's 1, and it becomes the 13th best of all time. Of those 13 totals, they came from 5 players: Babe Ruth 7 times, Ted Williams 2 times, Rogers Hornsby 1 time, Lou Gehrig 1 time, and Jimmie Foxx 1 time. You don't fluke your way into a 1.217 OPS.

(of course, Bagwell had a 1.201 OPS that season too, but that's a full two spots behind Thomas)

I think you gotta give a little love to Julio Franco that season. It was next to impossible to pitch around Frank that year because of Julio's presence. I still remember the headline in the Suntimes when we acquired him. 'Sox hire a hitman'.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
That is, by far, the worst reason for any player to not get votes. I understand that you're just making a point (and a valid one, at that), but a player's relationship with the media should have absolutely no bearing on his chances at getting into the HOF.

To be clear, I was not at all saying it was a GOOD reason. Just that for some, it may be their reason.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Frank's 1.217 OPS that season is the 18th best OPS of all time. Take out Bonds' 4 seasons on that list and McGwire's 1, and it becomes the 13th best of all time. Of those 13 totals, they came from 5 players: Babe Ruth 7 times, Ted Williams 2 times, Rogers Hornsby 1 time, Lou Gehrig 1 time, and Jimmie Foxx 1 time. You don't fluke your way into a 1.217 OPS.

(of course, Bagwell had a 1.201 OPS that season too, but that's a full two spots behind Thomas)

As good as his season was that year, he had a slight slump right before the work stoppage. With another month and a half of the season left he probably would have recovered and had one of the top 5 seasons of all time. Check out his numbers at the all-star break that year. .383 BA .515OBP .795 SLG 1.311 OPS 32 HR 78 RBI. That is just a mind boggling first half, just imagine if he kept that pace all year long.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
My most vivid image of Alomar was when he spit at the umpire. For that reason alone, I would have shunned him from the hall.

Nevermind the fact that he later apologized directly to Hirschbeck, became friends with him, and then helped Hirschbeck's children, who were disabled, in every feasible manner.

I'm writing everything having not read any previous post.

But in my mind, what the hell is the difference?

Frank f***ing Thomas is a first ballot HOFer.

I say that as the ultimate tough guy on HOF ballots. I'm the guy that still says NO to Blyleven and would still say no to MB should be wind up in a similar position.

But Frank Thomas is a first ballot hitter if there's ever been one. He's legendary. I'm a Sox fan for life, and I will say this. Sox fans took Frank for granted from almost day-1. it's true. i respect the white sox scepticism, but the bottom line was us underrated Frank. We had the Pujols of our generation, and we never gave him the love he earned. He's the greatest Sox of all-time, and yet he's treated like steve sax. I live and die white sox, but please....give it up for Frank!

(as I wrote this whole thing there was a video of Frank, which is gone. So forget my whole intro

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 04:06 AM)
I'm writing everything having not read any previous post.

But in my mind, what the hell is the difference?

Frank f***ing Thomas is a first ballot HOFer.

I say that as the ultimate tough guy on HOF ballots. I'm the guy that still says NO to Blyleven and would still say no to MB should be wind up in a similar position.

But Frank Thomas is a first ballot hitter if there's ever been one. He's legendary. I'm a Sox fan for life, and I will say this. Sox fans took Frank for granted from almost day-1. it's true. i respect the white sox scepticism, but the bottom line was us underrated Frank. We had the Pujols of our generation, and we never gave him the love he earned. He's the greatest Sox of all-time, and yet he's treated like steve sax. I live and die white sox, but please....give it up for Frank!

(as I wrote this whole thing there was a video of Frank, which is gone. So forget my whole intro

Were you here in '06 when Frank vs KW broke out? Now keep in mind we were mere months fresh off of winning a championship. And, like, 90 % of the board sided with Frank. The only ones who didn't were still drunk off the World Series kool-aid and KW could've murdered their parents and they would've still sided with him. Some of the criticism Frank received over the years was justified. And even he's admitted as much very recently. But NOBODY has ever questioned the skills. Anybody who has is a fake Sox fan posing as a Cubs fan. In Frank's prime, time stood still when he came to bat. It was just like that 'Frozen Moment' commercial with MJ. Dude was a CLEAN 3-time MVP, Giambi can kiss my ass, during a time when over half the sport had overdosed on PEDs. He's the reason I'm a Sox fan to this day. Frank4motherf***inglife!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
Great post.

Maddux is in first ballot period, and I think Glavine and Thomas will battle just below that level. And with the general questions out there about big hitters in that era, I think that's enough to get Glavine in but Thomas out in their first ballots. Then Thomas goes in 2nd year.

What I was going to say is . . .

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
I don't see Glavine as a first timer, especially being on at the same time as Maddux. I think when people look at the two of them in the same group, they will see Greg as a big step above Tommy, and leave him off for the most part. Either way, I don't see that stopping Frank.

^^^ Glad I kept reading instead of hitting reply and basically writing the same thing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
That is, by far, the worst reason for any player to not get votes. I understand that you're just making a point (and a valid one, at that), but a player's relationship with the media should have absolutely no bearing on his chances at getting into the HOF.

I believe the HoF should recognize a person's entire contribution to MLB, including the off the field stuff. If you elevate the game in the eyes of the public, contribute towards a positive image of baseball, that should add to your chances. s*** on the game with gambling, PEDs, etc. and your chances should drop considerably. The media thing is something I'd also weigh, but less than PEDs, arrests, etc. The HoF should be a celebration of all the best people that have been part of MLB.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 06:38 AM)
What I was going to say is . . .

^^^ Glad I kept reading instead of hitting reply and basically writing the same thing.

I believe the HoF should recognize a person's entire contribution to MLB, including the off the field stuff. If you elevate the game in the eyes of the public, contribute towards a positive image of baseball, that should add to your chances. s*** on the game with gambling, PEDs, etc. and your chances should drop considerably. The media thing is something I'd also weigh, but less than PEDs, arrests, etc. The HoF should be a celebration of all the best people that have been part of MLB.

I think it's ridiculous that a guy like Frank Thomas can be shunned by the voters, if even for just one year, because he didn't like to talk to the media. I mean, that's just retarded.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
I think it's ridiculous that a guy like Frank Thomas can be shunned by the voters, if even for just one year, because he didn't like to talk to the media. I mean, that's just retarded.

The media folk are a notoriously defensive group, and I'm not just talking about sports. I can totally see them clinging to their spite, even though they clearly shouldn't. Not everybody's personality is well-suited to spewing PR lines, and that has nothing to do with their baseball abilities or even their community relations. Stupid media...

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
The media folk are a notoriously defensive group, and I'm not just talking about sports. I can totally see them clinging to their spite, even though they clearly shouldn't. Not everybody's personality is well-suited to spewing PR lines, and that has nothing to do with their baseball abilities or even their community relations. Stupid media...

Two words for those thinking Frank Thomas's media demeanor will hold him up.

Eddie Murray

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)

This is Jay Cutler's "problem" in a nutshell. He doesn't really give a s*** about the agendas of reporters and doesn't really play their game and they hate him for it, so they go out of their way to write stupid s*** about his personality that has nothing to do with his ability as a player.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
This is Jay Cutler's "problem" in a nutshell. He doesn't really give a s*** about the agendas of reporters and doesn't really play their game and they hate him for it, so they go out of their way to write stupid s*** about his personality that has nothing to do with his ability as a player.

Like it or not, crap all over the sport, no matter how good you are and it hurts the sport. Why honor a guy that hurt the sport? I'm not saying Frank hurt the sport, I'm saying the guys that did with PEDs should be shunned, and those that helped it by being Class A humans, (Baines, Banks) should be honored. Character and overall contribution to the game should be factored in.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
Like it or not, crap all over the sport, no matter how good you are and it hurts the sport. Why honor a guy that hurt the sport? I'm not saying Frank hurt the sport, I'm saying the guys that did with PEDs should be shunned, and those that helped it by being Class A humans, (Baines, Banks) should be honored. Character and overall contribution to the game should be factored in.

Not giving a s*** about stupid reporter questions and treating it like a waste of time? Absolutely not.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
Not giving a s*** about stupid reporter questions and treating it like a waste of time? Absolutely not.

Promoting the game and being a role model? Absolutely. Being a scum bag, gambling, cheating, PEDs, beating your wife, not giving a s*** about the franchise? Absolutely not.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
Promoting the game and being a role model? Absolutely. Being a scum bag, gambling, cheating, PEDs, beating your wife, not giving a s*** about the franchise? Absolutely not.

Not sure what youre arguing against.

Tex:

Character issues are one thing; I think everyone here is in favor of supporting those who were ambassadors for the sport and pillars in the community (especially considering the jackassery prevalent amongst athletes); however, being aloof with the media is a personality trait, not a character trait. We're concerned that the media will punish Frank because they dislike his personality, which I think is well outside the boundaries of "fair game" when it comes to HOF elections.

At the risk of mixing a few metaphors, if Favre had retired before heading to the Jets and revealing character issues, it would have been totally unacceptable to disallow him HOF entry because of his odious personality. And his personality is MUCH more irritating than Frank's. But, somehow, I think there are media members petty enough to see how disdainful Frank was of their job positions and it will affect their balloting.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
I think Frank should equal about 0 as far as media. No positive points, but no negative. I thought we had started discussing players in general. Sorry if I confused anyone.

But can Frank get in on the first ballot with a media wash when guys like Maddux and Ken Griffey Jr are +100?