2011 NFL Lockout Thread

It seemed to make sense to move on from the 2010-2011 NFL Thread.

The union just decertified.

@AndrewSiciliano - Mort reporting NFLPA decertifies in federal court in Minneapolis

For those who are interested, I created an NFL Twitter list, the latest tweets from NFL Reporters/Players/Agents:

http://twitter.com/#!/HuskyCaucasian/nfl

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First it was the owners pissing me off but now it's the players pissing me off. They turned down a really good deal IMO especially when you consider how douchey the owners have been acting.

"It included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; ensure no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players.

To me it sounded decent to.

It said the offer included splitting the difference in the dispute over how much money owners should be given off the top of the league's revenues. Under the expiring CBA, the owners immediately got about $1 billion before dividing the remainder with the players; the owners originally were asking to roughly double that by getting an additional $1 billion up front.

Also in the NFL's offer, according to the league:

-- Maintaining the 16 regular-season games and four preseason games for at least two years, with any changes negotiable.

-- Instituting a rookie wage scale through which money saved would be paid to veterans and retired players.

-- Creating new year-round health and safety rules.

-- Establishing a fund for retired players, with $82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
The question is why was that so far off from what the played wanted

I kind of thought that WAS what the players wanted... no 18 game season, not to be gouged by the owners, and nobody disagreed on the rookie pay scale thing with rookies who've never done s*** making more than half the Pro Bowl squad, and the first 3 picks being a curse. But then we have this no-releasing-finances thing... sigh

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
I kind of thought that WAS what the players wanted... no 18 game season, not to be gouged by the owners, and nobody disagreed on the rookie pay scale thing with rookies who've never done s*** making more than half the Pro Bowl squad, and the first 3 picks being a curse. But then we have this no-releasing-finances thing... sigh

Bingo. I think the owners have done more than enough compromising.

I think the real problem right now is that the players flat-out don't trust the owners any more. They think the owners are taking home a lot more income than they're admitting publicly, and otherwise they'd be more willing to release documentation to show it.

The fact that the players have struggled with ownership so much over things like retirement issues, health care, and now the open violation of the CBA in the TV agreement...makes me lean to thinking they're right.

I guess that's the thing. The owners opted out of the current agreement, not the players. They're crying poor, but they've been shown to be nothing but dishonest. I don't see why the players really have any reason to compromise, especially after the recent TV contract ruling.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
I guess that's the thing. The owners opted out of the current agreement, not the players. They're crying poor, but they've been shown to be nothing but dishonest. I don't see why the players really have any reason to compromise, especially after the recent TV contract ruling.

When the average lifespan of an NFL player is about 55 years and the post-football life is filled with horrific pain each and every day, I don't blame the players at all for not wanting to take less money, play an 18-game season, etc. For every Peyton Manning who makes bank and will live a post-football life of glory, there are nine other players whose post-football lives suck.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
When the average lifespan of an NFL player is about 55 years and the post-football life is filled with horrific pain each and every day, I don't blame the players at all for not wanting to take less money, play an 18-game season, etc. For every Peyton Manning who makes bank and will live a post-football life of glory, there are nine other players whose post-football lives suck.

A lot more than 9. More like 999+.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)

To be fair, African American's lifespan is shorter in the first place I think somewhere in 60's, which are who makeup majority of league and Im sure for a lot of them their lifestyle off the playing field has as much to do for a shorter life than on.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
To be fair, African American's lifespan is shorter in the first place I think somewhere in 60's, which are who makeup majority of league and Im sure for a lot of them their lifestyle off the playing field has as much to do for a shorter life than on.

70.2 years for a standard African American, compared to 76 for a caucasian.

However, most of that difference is due largely to higher infant mortality rates in the African American population, due in no small part to the lack of available health care in that population.

The NFL Player's union is one of the weaker unions in professional sports, when in reality, they should probably have the strongest union, considering the risks involved both during their careers as well as after their careers end.

I have just read the stupidest paragraph written since writing was developed.

What is interesting is how the players have the audacity to come out and threaten owners and the league. The players have no rights to what the owners make. That is why you play like hell and do your best to make media connections while in ...the game to do commercials and things to bring in extra money for yourself. You do like Ditka, Butkus, and the many other personalities who got more involved rather than just relying on football to bail them out. Stop spending like you have all the money in the world and get a wife who will lock away money for saving! Your all coming out of college for crist sake! You get degrees and then act like this?! The owners have the rights they do and the players are lucky to have what they do. They should agree to the terms the NFL has given and play some damn FOOTBALL! BEAR DOWN!

Literally every sentence in this paragraph is stupid. I don't know where to start.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
70.2 years for a standard African American, compared to 76 for a caucasian.

However, most of that difference is due largely to higher infant mortality rates in the African American population, due in no small part to the lack of available health care in that population.

Is that for both men and women? In this case, it should be just men. That would likely lower those numbers by a few years.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
Is that for both men and women? In this case, it should be just men. That would likely lower those numbers by a few years.

Yeah, just men, although my number is a couple years out of date.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)
Eh it's just the typical "we should praise business owners for blessing us with jobs like mana from heaven," as if the owners aren't profiting tremendously off of your labor.

"Useful idiots"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
I have just read the stupidest paragraph written since writing was developed.

Literally every sentence in this paragraph is stupid. I don't know where to start.

Stupid is one thing, but a lot of this is flat out wrong or impossible.

-Do commercials to bring in extra money for yourself? The 1% of the league that CAN do this, DOES do this. Brendon Ayanbadejo isn't going to sell many jerseys.

-College degrees? I don't have the exact percentage, but quite a few of these athletes leave school early so they can get their payday right away. And having seen what athletes do just on a D-IAA school, where their odds at making it to the NFL or the UFL or AFL2 is microscopic, quite a few of them still don't do anything scholastically.

I mean nothing insensitive by this next comment to anyone, but reading it seriously reminds me of what a white southern person would have said about blacks in about 1840. It's just absurd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Stupid is one thing, but a lot of this is flat out wrong or impossible.

-Do commercials to bring in extra money for yourself? The 1% of the league that CAN do this, DOES do this. Brendon Ayanbadejo isn't going to sell many jerseys.

-College degrees? I don't have the exact percentage, but quite a few of these athletes leave school early so they can get their payday right away. And having seen what athletes do just on a D-IAA school, where their odds at making it to the NFL or the UFL or AFL2 is microscopic, quite a few of them still don't do anything scholastically.

I mean nothing insensitive by this next comment to anyone, but reading it seriously reminds me of what a white southern person would have said about blacks in about 1840. It's just absurd.

The Bear Down at the end is what really seals in the "this rant is dumb as s***" taste.

I don't know many slaves bringing down that kind of bank Adrian...

In 2010, it means that a player with no credited seasons will receive at least $320,000. For players with one credited season, the minimum salary is $395,000. For players with two credited seasons, the minimum is $470,000. For players with three credited seasons, the minimum is $545,000.

For players with four to six credited seasons, the minimum pay if $630,000.

Seven to nine? $755,000.

And for players with ten or more seasons, the minimum salary is $855,000.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Adrian Peterson: "(The NFL) is modern-day slavery.... People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money . . . the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money.”

HUH???

Yo Adrian. "Modern-day" slavery does exist. Maybe not in America, but in other parts of the world there are still are people forced into slavery. Maybe we should ask them how similar the NFL is to their lives?