Guillen/KW at least "PR spinning" they want Buehrle back nex

caulfield12

http://www.csnchicago.com/07/18/11/Buehrle...&feedID=661

How many years and how much money do you offer?

If you "lowball" him (based on this year's salary...remember, we had the same situation with Magglio coming off the $14.5 million he made in 2004 but he was injured and his career looked to be in total jeopardy)...compared to his 2011 salary, how much lower can you actually go without insulting one of the two most important players in recent franchise history?

Will it be one of those situation like in the past where they APPEAR TO TRY to sign him but make him an offer (or offers) that SEEM reasonable to fans but which they know will never be accepted by Mark and his agent?

Do you gamble and try to get Jackson back instead (of Buehrle)?

Can we keep Buehrle AND Danks in the same rotation in 2012?

With Rios, Dunn, Teahen and Peavy "wasting" so much of the already-allocated payroll for next year, will JR decide against keeping Mark purely for financial reasons? What will the corresponding loss in revenue to the franchise be in terms of lost season ticket sales and bad PR for the Sox?

I don't know what the going rate is, but if Mark wants to keep pitching forever (he's hinted at retirement in the past whatever that means) I think he'd be worth signing but it probably depends on the marketplace.

How many years is somebody gonna offer Mark?

I have no idea. Do you guys?

If it's a Paulie-like deal I bet he returns. If he gets five, six, seven years? I'd say Boston or NYY.

If he doesn't care about making uber-zillions, I'd say he picks either Sox or Cards. If the offers are similar I'd suspect he'd go with the Cards.

Buehrle seems like one of those guys who could pitch a long time, a Moyer type.

Edited by greg775

But with all of his talk about early retirement, I think he'd be very content with either a 2 or possibly 3 year deal, then reassessing where things stand again with his family.

I don't think there are very many teams out there who will be throwing 5 year offers out there, let alone 6.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 06:47 AM)
But with all of his talk about early retirement, I think he'd be very content with either a 2 or possibly 3 year deal, then reassessing where things stand again with his family.

I don't think there are very many teams out there who will be throwing 5 year offers out there, let alone 6.

That's what I wondered if pitchers will be getting 5-6 year deals.

Boston has been awfully loyal to Wakefield all those years.

If he's content with 3 years I'd say we get him or the Cards.

But if Mark can get Boston to overpay for five to seven years doesn't he have to take that?

TIM WAKEFIELD (it's pretty amazing how much mileage they've gotten out of him at that price...but I couldn't see Buehrle ever taking a deal where it was so incentives-based)

2 years/$5.5M (2010-11)

signed extension with Boston 11/9/09

10:$3.5M, 11:$2.0M

2011 base salary increases based on innings in 2010:

$2M salary with 130 IP in 2010 (met)

performance bonuses based on starts:

2010: $50,000 each for 11-15 GS; $75,000 each for 16-25 GS; $100,000 each for 26-30 GS

$2M base: $75,000 each for 11-15 GS; $0.15M each for 16-20 GS; $0.2M each for 21-30 GS

1 year/$4M (2006), with recurring club options

signed extension with Boston 4/19/05

06:$4M, 07:$4M club option, 08:$4M club option (added 10/06)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
Bring him back until he doesn't want to come back... you can do worse for a 3rd/4th starter.

LOL at 3rd/4th starter.

Dude has a 3.38 ERA this year, 3.82 career, not to mention the pickoff move, plus defense at position, durability, and leadership qualities. Most teams would be ecstatic to have him at #2. On some teams he'd be #1. There might be 3-4 teams where he'd be anything below a 2nd starter.

Baseball-wide, he's a solid #2 starter.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
Why wouldn't we want Buerhle back? He is a premier lefty and a great team player. I know he has said he wouldn't mind coming back so I hope we look at 2 or 3 plus years. Maybe 2 with mutual options?

As long as the Sox or Cardinals offer something in the ballpark of what he's looking for, I'd be shocked to see him pitching anywhere else.

you offer him just enough to top a cards offer and keep him playing for 2 years w/ a team option for a 3rd. if there truly is a bidding war somewhere, that price will eventually be out of reach for the white sox, so no use trying other than the offer you should already be prepared to make. if the market isn't inflated and the cards aren't in play, i see no reason why he's not back on the southside, even with payroll deductions. buehrle at a reasonable rate pays for itself with the white sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
LOL at 3rd/4th starter.

Dude has a 3.38 ERA this year, 3.82 career, not to mention the pickoff move, plus defense at position, durability, and leadership qualities. Most teams would be ecstatic to have him at #2. On some teams he'd be #1. There might be 3-4 teams where he'd be anything below a 2nd starter.

THIS.

Dude's still underappreciated. I think he comes back for 2 years with 3rd year option. 3yrs/$40M?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
BTW, are we over speculating the possibility of MB pitching for the Cards because he is a fan? The only time I ever here this is only around Sox fans. I haven't seen any other publications supporting this.

M-56 gets asked usually at least a couple times a year if he'd like to pitch for the Cardinals and he always says yes since he was a fan of theirs, but there's never been any "The Cardinals are negotiating with Mark Buehrle" or "The Sox and Cards are talking about Buehrle" rumors.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
BTW, are we over speculating the possibility of MB pitching for the Cards because he is a fan? The only time I ever here this is only around Sox fans. I haven't seen any other publications supporting this.

He's a fan, he's from the area and he's mentioned playing for them in the past.

I just don't see him pitching anywhere other than there or here. He's even hinted at retirement so he can spend more time with his family.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
M-56 gets asked usually at least a couple times a year if he'd like to pitch for the Cardinals and he always says yes since he was a fan of theirs, but there's never been any "The Cardinals are negotiating with Mark Buehrle" or "The Sox and Cards are talking about Buehrle" rumors.

That's why I wish fans would drop that notion. Behind every player is an agent. I can't see an agent saying, "hey, since you are a fan, why not give them a big discount".

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Hence the word season and least.

I'm not sold on giving Danks a major payday. Let someone else do it.

I didn't say anything about giving D1 a major payday.

I just said that there's a game with a lot of black shirts that says he's no mental midget.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
LOL at 3rd/4th starter.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
Why wouldn't we want Buerhle back? He is a premier lefty and a great team player. I know he has said he wouldn't mind coming back so I hope we look at 2 or 3 plus years. Maybe 2 with mutual options?

Glad to see the Mark love. Fans sometimes take their own for granted.

What's the going rate for elite, durable pitchers nowadays in terms of length of contract?

I mean if Boston wants him badly and offers six, seven years, we lose Mark, right?