2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

We might as well have Crede and Rowand starting tomorrow. At least the fans might take notice for a couple of weeks.

Better than Manny Ramirez soaking up $4+ million for 6 weeks of Viciedo's numbers this season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Yay, we snuck past the A's for 28th in MLB attendance this weekend. Seattle and Tampa Bay are in direct sight, and KC within hailing distance.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
We might as well have Crede and Rowand starting tomorrow. At least the fans might take notice for a couple of weeks.

Better than Manny Ramirez soaking up $4+ million for 6 weeks of Viciedo's numbers this season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Yay, we snuck past the A's for 28th in MLB attendance this weekend. Seattle and Tampa Bay are in direct sight, and KC within hailing distance.

MIL is averaging 5 more fans at home than on the road. What an insanely close figure.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 13, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
Amen brotha.

ElRockin remains the best Sox fan I've ever come across. Amazingly loyal even after losing 2 of 3 to the s*** (albeit better than the Sox) Royals.

somewhere Marty and Dick Allen are feeling insulted.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 14, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
I see he is being dropped massively in fantasy leagues..

That's dumb, since he got lit up in a non-save situation and there were two intentional walks involved in that fiasco. The dude's career isn't over because of one bad outing, and he hadn't allowed an earned run to date prior to that appearance.

The masses and their fantasy drops should never be brought up in terms of legit baseball discussion. People, on the whole, are really stupid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
Not anything I know about, but when a guy gets shelled by the Royals, people who didn't see the game might suspect there could be.

That is a pretty bizarre way to state it. Usually when I see a kid get lit up, I think he had a bad day, not he got hurt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
That is a pretty bizarre way to state it. Usually when I see a kid get lit up, I think he had a bad day, not he got hurt.

I would hope it was just abad day. Inevitable any youngster is going to get lit up once in awhile. I see Jared Weaver got lit up by Texas too. Funny watching him walk off the mound when he got taken out singing along with the Rangers music "hit the road Jack"

50 games until the break. Basically the Sox need to play .600 ball to get back to respectability.

30-20 will get them to 46-39 at the break.

Still waiting for the Tigers to kick it in to gear, but a crap division could keep the Sox from making some trades that could help the franchise for years.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 14, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
50 games until the break. Basically the Sox need to play .600 ball to get back to respectability.

30-20 will get them to 46-39 at the break.

Still waiting for the Tigers to kick it in to gear, but a crap division could keep the Sox from making some trades that could help the franchise for years.

If attendance stays where it is at, I don't think being within a few games of the Tigers will stop the Sox from selling parts if they get the right offers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
If attendance stays where it is at, I don't think being within a few games of the Tigers will stop the Sox from selling parts if they get the right offers.

True, but the AS break is July 9. Unless the Sox tank it between now and the end of interleague, I can't see them making deals before the break. They'll have that period between July 13 and 31 to do stuff.

If they're just .500, or slightly above or below .500 at the break, I want them to make trades no matter how many games back they are. This team can't afford to think they can get hot in September.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 14, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
True, but the AS break is July 9. Unless the Sox tank it between now and the end of interleague, I can't see them making deals before the break. They'll have that period between July 13 and 31 to do stuff.

If they're just .500, or slightly above or below .500 at the break, I want them to make trades no matter how many games back they are. This team can't afford to think they can get hot in September.

If the Sox sell, it will be at the very end of the trading deadline. They aren't going to go through all of the White Flag stuff again if they can help it, and if they do, they will want to be able to justify it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
If the Sox sell, it will be at the very end of the trading deadline. They aren't going to go through all of the White Flag stuff again if they can help it, and if they do, they will want to be able to justify it.

Probably, but when it comes to trading starting pitching, there's a lot of value in trading a guy that can give a contender 15-16 starts as opposed to 11 or 12.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 14, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
Probably, but when it comes to trading starting pitching, there's a lot of value in trading a guy that can give a contender 15-16 starts as opposed to 11 or 12.

If we are talking Jake Peavy, we are going to have to pick up money to make it a guy worthwhile anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
If we are talking Jake Peavy, we are going to have to pick up money to make it a guy worthwhile anyway.

I don't think so. Dude is pitching amazing. If I were a team in contention, he's the type of guy that puts you over the top. His arm may fall off but given his collective work through the 1st 6 weeks of the season, a contender would be foolish not to take a chance (especially since even a small market team could potentially due it since you don't tie yourself to a long-term deal).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't think so. Dude is pitching amazing. If I were a team in contention, he's the type of guy that puts you over the top. His arm may fall off but given his collective work through the 1st 6 weeks of the season, a contender would be foolish not to take a chance (especially since even a small market team could potentially due it since you don't tie yourself to a long-term deal).

Still >$10 million for 2 months.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 14, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
That's dumb, since he got lit up in a non-save situation and there were two intentional walks involved in that fiasco. The dude's career isn't over because of one bad outing, and he hadn't allowed an earned run to date prior to that appearance.

The masses and their fantasy drops should never be brought up in terms of legit baseball discussion. People, on the whole, are really stupid.

I agree Steve, but since I didn't watch the game I wanted to make sure there wasn't more to it than simply not having the stuff and getting lit up, that will happen most.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
Still >$10 million for 2 months.

I put it in a different thread, but I think I found two to three realistic teams that could be interested in Peavy without the Sox picking up a decent amount of money. Most of the usual suspects are either capped (BOS,NYY) don't need starting pitching enough to spend that kind of money (teams like WAS or TEX), already overspent (like ANA), don't spend that kind of money (TOR), would be looking for bats first (SFG), or just don't make any sense (about half of baseball). It think the Dodgers were the most realistic team I could find.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
I put it in a different thread, but I think I found two to three realistic teams that could be interested in Peavy without the Sox picking up a decent amount of money. Most of the usual suspects are either capped (BOS,NYY) don't need starting pitching enough to spend that kind of money (teams like WAS or TEX), already overspent (like ANA), don't spend that kind of money (TOR), would be looking for bats first (SFG), or just don't make any sense (about half of baseball). It think the Dodgers were the most realistic team I could find.

Detroit, Cardinals, and Brewers are good fits in my mind if they have rotation spots open.