It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
No, I think you're looking far too much into this. I think Bud ripped him a new one for going off on his umpires. Its one thing when White Sox fans hear it, its another when it becomes a national story and everyone hears it.

And btw, we went through this whole song and dance earlier in the thread...Selig can discipline Hawk and/or fire him.

Hawk is an employee of CSN/WGN, not of the White Sox, not of MLB. Selig cannot fire him. It would be like saying he can fire you from your job. If Selig was so pissed about this and had some authority, Hawk would at least get the weekend suspension BS. He and JR don't want him ripping umpires, and its not because Hawk is necessarily wrong.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Hawk is an employee of CSN/WGN, not of the White Sox, not of MLB. Selig cannot fire him. It would be like saying he can fire you from your job. If Selig was so pissed about this and had some authority, Hawk would at least get the weekend suspension BS. He and JR don't want him ripping umpires, and its not because Hawk is necessarily wrong.

Selig could end Hawk doing games if he wanted to, zero question.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)

I'm not sure as to the formalities of his employment. That was the reason I originally stated "If" Hawk is an employee of the White Sox.

I was assuming he was, as he travels with the team, has access to team facilities beyond the scope of his employment needs, etc.

But you may be right; he may technically just be a member of CSN/WGN/WCIU and/or some kind of an "independent contractor" or something.

That being the case, I am sure MLB and its Commissioner have other legal rights.

They can also clearly exert certain pressures on JR to end Hawk's employment, and I am also sure they do have certain rights when it comes to their broadcasts. My guess is that simply by having purchased the contract to broadcast the White Sox games, CSN/WGN/WCIU cannot simply make any representations as to the product on the field without being liable for any repercussions.

Whatever the options MLB and the Commissioner have, whether they be legal or otherwise, I am sure they can achieve the desired result.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)
I'm not sure as to the formalities of his employment. That was the reason I originally stated "If" Hawk is an employee of the White Sox.

I was assuming he was, as he travels with the team, has access to team facilities beyond the scope of his employment needs, etc.

But you may be right; he may technically just be a member of CSN/WGN/WCIU and/or some kind of an "independent contractor" or something.

That being the case, I am sure MLB and its Commissioner have other legal rights.

They can also clearly exert certain pressures on JR to end Hawk's employment, and I am also sure they do have certain rights when it comes to their broadcasts. My guess is that simply by having purchased the contract to broadcast the White Sox games, CSN/WGN/WCIU cannot simply make any representations as to the product on the field without being liable for any repercussions.

Whatever the options MLB and the Commissioner have, whether they be legal or otherwise, I am sure they can achieve the desired result.

Trying crap like that would give them 100 times worse PR than Hawk's rant alledgedly was, and if Hawk and his employers fought it, he does have a contract, Bud would lose. But its much ado about nothing, as both Bud and JR love the Hawk and were never mad at him.

In fact, one article I read but can't find said MLB was looking into a token suspension or some sort of minor discipline, but it was determined Hawk wasn't an employee of the White Sox so they had no authority. So they can't suspend him, but they can fire him. Makes no sense to me.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:36 PM)
Trying crap like that would give them 100 times worse PR than Hawk's rant alledgedly was, and if Hawk and his employers fought it, he does have a contract, Bud would lose. But its much ado about nothing, as both Bud and JR love the Hawk and were never mad at him.

In fact, one article I read but can't find said MLB was looking into a token suspension but it was determined Hawk wasn't an employee of the White Sox so they had no authority. So they can't suspend him, but they can fire him. Makes no sense to me.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make, Dick.

If it's that MLB and Bud and JR love Hawk, I am certain you are right. He's a great ambassador for the White Sox and the Game. He has a long relationship with JR, who happens to have a long relationship with Bud. That everyone wants Hawk to continue is beyond dispute.

If the point you are making is that Selig was more concerned about the feelings of his umpires than of MLB looking bad as a result of poor umpiring, than you'll have a very difficult time convincing me of that.

But hey, I wasn't there...I don't know.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
I don't understand the point you're trying to make, Dick.

If it's that MLB and Bud and JR love Hawk, I am certain you are right. He's a great ambassador for the White Sox and the Game. He has a long relationship with JR, who happens to have a long relationship with Bud. That everyone wants Hawk to continue is beyond dispute.

If the point you are making is that Selig was more concerned about the feelings of his umpires than of MLB looking bad as a result of poor umpiring, than you'll have a very difficult time convincing me of that.

But hey, I wasn't there...I don't know.

My point is Hawk can pop off about the umpires every game the rest of the year, and really all Bud can do is ask him to stop. JR wants him to stop, probably for different reasons than Bud. I suspect JR would think the umpires, although we all know they are above this, may hold a grudge. Bud doesn't want every PBP guy bashing the umpires, and maybe some of it is for umpire safety.

I don't know how many MLB games you attend, but they show replays of all controversial plays on boards at every professional sporting event, except one. You will never see a replay of a close call on a board at an MLB park.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
My point is Hawk can pop off about the umpires every game the rest of the year, and really all Bud can do is ask him to stop. JR wants him to stop, probably for different reasons than Bud. I suspect JR would think the umpires, although we all know they are above this, may hold a grudge. Bud doesn't want every PBP guy bashing the umpires, and maybe some of it is for umpire safety.

I don't know how many MLB games you attend, but they show replays of all controversial plays on boards at every professional sporting event, except one. You will never see a replay of a close call on a board at an MLB park.

Well, or at an NFL stadium where the close call went against the home team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)

Well, I disagree in terms of what their rights are, but I probably agree in that they would really, really like to avoid having to actually do anything about it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
Well, or at an NFL stadium where the close call went against the home team.

Yes, but this is because it benefits the home team for the away team not to see it. It's not protect the refs.

Hawk was tested yesterday on his umpire rants and pretty much bit his tongue on the BS balk call by Joe West. You could tell he wanted to say soemthing but just sat their quietly. The only thing he said was along the lines of, "look who's over to make the call".

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
When it gets to this and he's been a punchline twice in one week, I'd say: enough.

I heard that live and thought it was funny.

The way he said ... the Mariners made me know he knew what semen meant in that connotation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)

Well, you can make things up all you want, but Ken Harrelson is an employee of the Chicago White Sox.