Hats off to Jake Peavy

witesoxfan

Not that wins really mean a thing, but he's had 4 straight stellar starts and has a big 0-2 to show for it, though the team is 2-2 in those starts. And they've scored a grand total of 1 run in his previous two starts, though they've had ample opportunities to get more across.

For as much crap as he took during his first year and a half in a White Sox uniform, he's backed that talk up this year on the mound every time he's taken the rubber. If the season ended today, the Sox would absolutely have 2 pitchers in the top 10 in Cy Young voting.

Hopefully he goes out and keeps on pitching, because the team will eventually start winning those games again.

Jake Peavy is a bad ass. It's a shame that the team couldn't score more than 1 run last night. I would say that the game was lost in the second inning when Travis Wood tried to give the Sox a handful of runs by walking three guys. It's amazing how the offense is either on or completely off.

But back to Jake. What a performance last night. He obviously had no intention of coming off the mound. What did he end up throwing? 130 pitches? And he was still firing it in there.

Wouldn't we love to see this guy with the Sox next year? Too bad his option is so monstrous. Maybe he'll offer to restructure it into a multi-year deal...

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 06:08 AM)
Jake Peavy is a bad ass. It's a shame that the team couldn't score more than 1 run last night. I would say that the game was lost in the second inning when Travis Wood tried to give the Sox a handful of runs by walking three guys. It's amazing how the offense is either on or completely off.

But back to Jake. What a performance last night. He obviously had no intention of coming off the mound. What did he end up throwing? 130 pitches? And he was still firing it in there.

Wouldn't we love to see this guy with the Sox next year? Too bad his option is so monstrous. Maybe he'll offer to restructure it into a multi-year deal...

I know someone will respond that he doesn't owe anything to the Sox, but if he's got any of that working man's ideology that he so often preaches, he will.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 06:28 AM)
I know someone will respond that he doesn't owe anything to the Sox, but if he's got any of that working man's ideology that he so often preaches, he will.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Although it may be true that he doesn't owe the Sox anything, you're right about him hopefully practicing what he preaches. If the Sox do not trade him at the deadline (and I would be surprised if he is), I certainly hope a discussion starts with him soon.

This article makes me angry:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wood-outpitch...33669--mlb.html

First of all the title stating that Wood outpitched Peavy. Uh, no.

Then there's this blurb:

"Wood (1-3) was simply terrific.

He has spent time in the minors this season after coming from Cincinnati in the trade for Sean Marshall, and he finally came away with his first win since a relief appearance for the Reds at Pittsburgh on Aug. 19. He hadn't won as a starter since he beat the Los Angeles Dodgers last June 15, but he finally got one after allowing one run and four hits while striking out five and walking four."

He was far from "simply terrific". Four walks in six innings is not terrific. What's most aggravating is that had the Sox picked up 3 runs in the second instead of 1, there would be no discussion about how well Wood pitched. Just because an entire team can't hit a freaking baseball (how many strikeouts looking were there?), doesn't make the opposing pitcher terrific. Peavy was terrific, but his offense let him down...and Hudson with his error.

I'd imagine they'd negotiate with Barry to see if Jake would be willing to do some sort of buyout+re-sign on a new deal. I'd hate to see Jake leave after this year when he's obviously healthy and dominant now, but my god they need to do something about 2B and 3B. Alexei looks to be on the decline as well, and Viciedo is just sort of... unknown as to how he'll perform the next few years

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 07:44 AM)
At this rate, he might actually be worth exercising, which I never thought I would say.

So all we need to do is bring in an exorcist.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Regardless of how well he pitches, I wouldn't be comfortable paying a SP $22 million. MAYBE a super stud center of the field position player, but not a guy who only plays 35 games, regardless of how much of an impact he has on those games.

I would be interested in hearing what kind of a deal he would want, however.

All depends on what happens over the next 4 months...I'll go on record as saying this team is capable of winning the WS...if something crazy like that were to happen, everything we've thought goes out the window.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
So all we need to do is bring in an exorcist.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Regardless of how well he pitches, I wouldn't be comfortable paying a SP $22 million. MAYBE a super stud center of the field position player, but not a guy who only plays 35 games, regardless of how much of an impact he has on those games.

I would be interested in hearing what kind of a deal he would want, however.

All depends on what happens over the next 4 months...I'll go on record as saying this team is capable of winning the WS...if something crazy like that were to happen, everything we've thought goes out the window.

I'm still not convinced we aren't talking about selling parts in a month and a half. This team is regressing to the mean very quickly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 08:39 AM)
I'm still not convinced we aren't talking about selling parts in a month and a half. This team is regressing to the mean very quickly.

Agreed. Lets see where this team is come July. If we fall to 5-6 games back (which is possible with the way they have been playing). KW can likely get a quality package for Peavy. Also, if I were KW i would see if he can possibly move Rios. You want to clear as much payroll as possible and we all know Rios has a pattern of having 1 good year, then one bad year. If we are out of it in July, I really hope KW can find a way to deal him away.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
Agreed. Lets see where this team is come July. If we fall to 5-6 games back (which is possible with the way they have been playing). KW can likely get a quality package for Peavy. Also, if I were KW i would see if he can possibly move Rios. You want to clear as much payroll as possible and we all know Rios has a pattern of having 1 good year, then one bad year. If we are out of it in July, I really hope KW can find a way to deal him away.

Rios may actually be moveable this year. Maybe.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)

I agree with you here Milkman and I think he should make the offer. Wonder if the Sox would accept his offer though?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Rios may actually be moveable this year. Maybe.

I doubt it. Maybe if the Sox pay 4/5s of the contract, but nobody is going to take Rios because they know he could turn to s*** at any moment, judging from his track record.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
I doubt it. Maybe if the Sox pay 4/5s of the contract, but nobody is going to take Rios because they know he could turn to s*** at any moment, judging from his track record.

The memories of baseball GMs are very short, my friend.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 04:59 AM)
The memories of baseball GMs are very short, my friend.

If true, I'd trade him now then.

I don't think it'd be a White Flag trade despite his great season. There would be justification that Sox don't believe he can keep it up.