Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 04:28 AM)
Headed to the LA area in a couple weeks with the wife and kid. I was hoping for some restaurant and activity recommendations. We are staying in Venice Beach, going to Disneyland and to a Kings game, and the Mrs. wants to do one of those whale-watching things. Any good restaurants in VB and near Staples Center and Disney? Thanks in advance!

Depending on what you want to spend, Napa Rose in one of the Disney Hotels is supposed to be excellent (pricey). Lots of solid options near staples center, including a bunch of stuff near the Nokia Center (across the street from Staples). The rest of the vicinity around Staples is a dump (downtown LA is a craphole).

QUOTE (Pods70Rowand33 @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Hey. I'll be spending most of my time in Melbourne, not sure exactly when I'll be there but it will be during the winter months there. I'm hoping to go to an Australian rules football game, but not sure what else.

Thanks!

Yep that's where I'm based.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when it comes to Winter down here, average temp is usually around 15 degrees or so, which I think is in the 50's or 60's in Faronheit, so not too bad.

Depends really what you want to do. Melbourne's a bit of a "sports town" so you'll definitely want to check out an Aussie Rules or even a Rugby Game. Otherwise we've got a pretty cool Pub / Bar Culture as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
Depending on what you want to spend, Napa Rose in one of the Disney Hotels is supposed to be excellent (pricey). Lots of solid options near staples center, including a bunch of stuff near the Nokia Center (across the street from Staples). The rest of the vicinity around Staples is a dump (downtown LA is a craphole).

I remember staying 3 days in Downtown LA a few years back, and that will certainly be the last time I'll be doing that again.

I'll actually be back there in the Easter W/E for a Wedding, but trying to find a decent Hotel in the West Hollywood / Brentwood / Bev. Hills area around there is a fair bit of a challenge I'm finding....

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
Yep that's where I'm based.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when it comes to Winter down here, average temp is usually around 15 degrees or so, which I think is in the 50's or 60's in Faronheit, so not too bad.

Depends really what you want to do. Melbourne's a bit of a "sports town" so you'll definitely want to check out an Aussie Rules or even a Rugby Game. Otherwise we've got a pretty cool Pub / Bar Culture as well.

Thanks, the weather sounds great. I'm looking forward to that.

I'll definitely check out a couple games, and am up for trying out the pub/bar scene. Any recommendations are welcome, plus any restaurant recommendations are welcome.

I was told surfing is big in Victoria, and that I need to check out Phillip island while I'm there.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
Elaborate. I mean, I've been there, but what did you do that made your trip so great?

What happens there and all that...

but really. Vodoo Lounge on top of the Rio was incredible. The rest was a lot of walking up and down the strip with a bottle in hand and seeing where the night went.

Heading to Austin for my bachelor party in exactly one month for 4 days, we have a yacht rented on Saturday (just e-mailed Franklin BBQ for a takeout order to bring aboard the yacht for lunch) and also have a table rented at Easy Tiger on Sunday. I have a list but does anybody have any other recommendations that they have personally done that may be worth checking out?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Heading to Austin for my bachelor party in exactly one month for 4 days, we have a yacht rented on Saturday (just e-mailed Franklin BBQ for a takeout order to bring aboard the yacht for lunch) and also have a table rented at Easy Tiger on Sunday. I have a list but does anybody have any other recommendations that they have personally done that may be worth checking out?

Just got back from a weekend in Austin for MotoGP, city is a RIOT!

Sorry no suggestions here as I was there mostly for races, food and party on 6th street.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)

Franklin BBQ...can't wait to hear if it lives up to the hype!

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
What happens there and all that...

but really. Vodoo Lounge on top of the Rio was incredible. The rest was a lot of walking up and down the strip with a bottle in hand and seeing where the night went.

I had a f***ing blast in Vegas, the group is going to try and do this annually during the sweet 16/elite 8 now.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
Anyone know of any ideas for booking cheaper airfare/hotels to Vegas than the typical Priceline, Expedia, etc.?

Lasvegas.com and Vegas com but those will probably yield all the same results. I like Kayak the best but again probably same results.

I believe Southwest doesn't list their prices on those sites yet is the cheapest from Chicago (other than miserable spirit) so check their site.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 12:48 AM)
Think I might be headed to Orlando in late May. Got a free Celebration Pass to Universal Resort from work, and my buddy who lives down there works for Disney. Anyone got any other Orlando suggestions?

If you like reggae (I've brought friends there who "hated"it and became big fans after leaving), Bob Marley's on Citywalk is always a blast. Place has an amazing vibe starting at midnight on.

Miller's Ale House on I-Drive, food is OK, people watching is prime-time here. Great for watching sports

Dining, if you are looking for something unique (I go to Orlando a lot for work)....look up Pharmacy. It's as hidden as it gets but it is incredible. Only locals know about this one for the most part.

http://thepharmacyorlando.com/

Downtown Orlando (as in the city downtown) is awesome, great bars/restaurants/clubs on Orange and it is very clean. Worth a cab.

Other than that, anywhere outside of downtown is tourist trap hell and there are MANY chains. I would suggest a Yelp or TripAdvisor search near where you are staying if you want to stay away from chains.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:01 AM)
Spirit Airlines is very cheap if you give up all rights as a human being.

Other than the incredibly long line at O'Hare (particularly frustrating since we had checked in online and printed our boarding passes, as most of the others in line had, too), Spirit was fine. My "personal item" bag was plenty big enough to hold everything I needed outside of our checked bag, and I carried on some snacks so no free snacks didn't bother me. The plane was a bit snug, but it's really just a bus in the air anyway.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
Other than the incredibly long line at O'Hare (particularly frustrating since we had checked in online and printed our boarding passes, as most of the others in line had, too), Spirit was fine. My "personal item" bag was plenty big enough to hold everything I needed outside of our checked bag, and I carried on some snacks so no free snacks didn't bother me. The plane was a bit snug, but it's really just a bus in the air anyway.

I literally do not fit in their seats at 6'1". It's impossible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Anyone done a trip to Cumberland in KY? We are considering it with a couple of other places for summer trip. Any comments, experiences, or recommendations?

I'm about 2 hours away but don't know the area at all. Extremely rural.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
If you like reggae (I've brought friends there who "hated"it and became big fans after leaving), Bob Marley's on Citywalk is always a blast. Place has an amazing vibe starting at midnight on.

Miller's Ale House on I-Drive, food is OK, people watching is prime-time here. Great for watching sports

Dining, if you are looking for something unique (I go to Orlando a lot for work)....look up Pharmacy. It's as hidden as it gets but it is incredible. Only locals know about this one for the most part.

http://thepharmacyorlando.com/

Downtown Orlando (as in the city downtown) is awesome, great bars/restaurants/clubs on Orange and it is very clean. Worth a cab.

Other than that, anywhere outside of downtown is tourist trap hell and there are MANY chains. I would suggest a Yelp or TripAdvisor search near where you are staying if you want to stay away from chains.

Much appreciated!