2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
If Sox do get number 2 pick, and the Astros take Rondon. Who do you want the Sox to take? I'd like Tyler Beede

It is definitely Gatewood, but if Beede has a good year next year, he'll be hard to pass up. Great potential. I still can't see us being as bad as Miami though, so Beede wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am really hoping that the White Sox draft Jacob Gatewood because he has the highest ceiling and the most potential in the entire draft class. His power tool has to be rated 70-80, but where dose he play defensively. He's 6'5 190, so it is safe to say that we wont be playing SS in the pros, so a move to the OF seems like a possibility.

Can you imagine a line up with him, Courtney Hawkins and Micker Zapata.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 09:37 PM)
I am really hoping that the White Sox draft Jacob Gatewood because he has the highest ceiling and the most potential in the entire draft class. His power tool has to be rated 70-80, but where dose he play defensively. He's 6'5 190, so it is safe to say that we wont be playing SS in the pros, so a move to the OF seems like a possibility.

He's going to be a 3B.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 01:10 AM)
I see people mentioning Tyler Beede, but Kiley McDaniel and a few others are now super high on East Carolina pitcher Jeff Hoffman. He could very easily be the 2nd (or possibly even 1st) pitcher taken in this coming draft.

What do they like about him? His numbers are nothing special.

http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-basebl/...3/teamcume.html

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
What do they like about him? His numbers are nothing special.

http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-basebl/...3/teamcume.html

Apparently he's looked fantastic in this year's Cape Cod. Kiley McDaniel talks about him in a recent podcast. Ahtletic, fastball sits around 95, three plus pitches. Just a name to keep in mind. Video.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 01:21 AM)
Apparently he's looked fantastic in this year's Cape Cod. Kiley McDaniel talks about him in a recent podcast. Ahtletic, fastball sits around 95, three plus pitches. Just a name to keep in mind. Video.

Thanks for the info. I just saw a comparison to Verlander for him. The great thing about having such a high pick is that if a few players blow up (ie: J. Gray this year), you're almost guaranteed to get a big time prospect. For the most part, gone are the days of salary demands for top prospects causing them to fall in the draft.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:21 PM)

Draft/Cape/Team USA talk starts at about 15 minutes in for anyone interested.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
Thanks for the info. I just saw a comparison to Verlander for him. The great thing about having such a high pick is that if a few players blow up (ie: J. Gray this year), you're almost guaranteed to get a big time prospect. For the most part, gone are the days of salary demands for top prospects causing them to fall in the draft.

Super early, but it really looks like college pitchers are going to dominate the top of the draft where the White Sox will sit. Some pretty good prep bats too, but not much in the way of college bats (save Trea Turner) which I'm sure will disappoint many around here. I've always been a proponent of BPA and it has to be the case when likely picking in the top 3.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 01:43 AM)
Super early, but it really looks like college pitchers are going to dominate the top of the draft where the White Sox will sit. Some pretty good prep bats too, but not much in the way of college bats (save Trea Turner) which I'm sure will disappoint many around here. I've always been a proponent of BPA and it has to be the case when likely picking in the top 3.

I can't see Turner being in play for the White Sox given who's in the system.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:46 PM)
I can't see Turner being in play for the White Sox given who's in the system.

Who's in the system that would likely be better than Turner if he's worthy of the 2nd overall pick? I can't think of one, especially at SS where he will stick. You can't draft for need, especially with a farm so bereft of talent.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
Kiley McDaniel thinks it's a two player draft right now, Hoffman and Rodon, noticeable drop-off beginning at #3.

That will probably change I would think.

55 games left, if the Sox play .400 ball (22-33), they lose 100 games--and I think that gets them #2. Marlins would have to go 19-35 to lose 100, which could happen, but they just went 30-24 the middle 54 games, so they are improving.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Who is Kiley McDaniel?

National baseball writer prospect draft dude. Has written/analyzed for ESPN, BP, Scout.com, Fox Sports, etc. You can kind of lump him in the Parks, Badler, Callis, Sickels, Cooper, Piliere group. He's also the guy that broke Zapata to the White Sox way before it was official.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
National baseball writer prospect draft dude. Has written/analyzed for ESPN, BP, Scout.com, Fox Sports, etc. You can kind of lump him in the Parks, Badler, Callis, Sickels, Cooper, Piliere group.

Thanks, haven't heard that name before and didn't have a link.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
That will probably change I would think.

It will absolutely change. My premature guess though is that there won't be a premium college bat that rises into top 3 consideration. Still soooo early, but this is all we have at the moment. It will be fun to look back on the early posts in this thread sometime next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Who is Kiley McDaniel?

Analyst for Fox, runs scoutingbaseball.com. Did a write up on Rodon where he gave Hoffman the slight edge based on his potential to improve (Rodon is maxed out) and Rodon has had some physical issues with his back and muscles around the shoulder.