An Accidental Omission or a Looming Trade

kevtrem

About a week, the White Sox released a press release that said, Paul Konerko, Adam Eaton, and Dayan Viciedo have been added the SoxFest lineup. In the press release today that says Bo Jackson and Thome will be at SoxFest, it list all the other players including Konerko and Eaton. However, Viciedo's name is nowhere on the release. Am I looking to far into this stuff or is a Viciedo trade on the horizon?

QUOTE (Kevtrem @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
About a week, the White Sox released a press release that said, Paul Konerko, Adam Eaton, and Dayan Viciedo have been added the SoxFest lineup. In the press release today that says Bo Jackson and Thome will be at SoxFest, it list all the other players including Konerko and Eaton. However, Viciedo's name is nowhere on the release. Am I looking to far into this stuff or is a Viciedo trade on the horizon?

I think it's probably a decision by our marketing folks with information from Rick's folks. Suddenly, Viciedo is not really necessary, and could be traded in the right deal at any moment. Probably wise not to put him forward as a face of the organization at this point.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
I think it's probably a decision by our marketing folks with information from Rick's folks. Suddenly, Viciedo is not really necessary, and could be traded in the right deal at any moment. Probably wise not to put him forward as a face of the organization at this point.

Yeah, I agree. Doesn't mean he's not going to be there or that he's not invited, but you don't want to guarantee his presence there if there's ultimately a chance that he could still be traded.

QUOTE (Kevtrem @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
I definitely agree with you in that sense, but Josh Phegley is in the line up... c'mon. If I am paying money to go to SoxFest, I think most people would rather see the Tank then Phegley

I want to stand nex tto Viciedo so I can see how I size up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
Yeah, I agree. Doesn't mean he's not going to be there or that he's not invited, but you don't want to guarantee his presence there if there's ultimately a chance that he could still be traded.

People realize a trade would mean he's not there, not be angry that he was "guaranteed to be there." There's a chance anyone could be traded, so if they were worried about that, you'd never list current players.

It's definitely curious.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
People realize a trade would mean he's not there, not be angry that he was "guaranteed to be there." There's a chance anyone could be traded, so if they were worried about that, you'd never list current players.

It's definitely curious.

He may not be able to attend too. Or he could be in talks and then ultimately not traded.

I'm really not looking into this at all. It's possible, but I have strong doubts.

QUOTE (Kevtrem @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
I definitely agree with you in that sense, but Josh Phegley is in the line up... c'mon. If I am paying money to go to SoxFest, I think most people would rather see the Tank then Phegley

Phegley will be in the Sox org somewhere in 2014, almost guaranteed. May not be in Chicago on Opening Day, but he's not got much value in trade, so he's probably in Charlotte if not Chicago. So he's a pretty safe guy to run out there, and he did seem to have some fan appeal last year. Plus, as you may note, the Sox have a number of prospects going this year, which is new: Micah Johnson and Marcus Semien are in the lineup.

I don't think the Sox are trading Viciedo unless we get surprised and are able to get someone like Grandal for him. To be frank, as quite a few posters have pointed out, there doesn't appear (obviously known of us truly know the market) to be much upside in trading Viciedo due to the perceived overall low return we'd expect to get back.

I mean for the record De Aza is not in the lineup either. And Addison Reed was in the last lineup prior to yesterdays move and today release. I just thought it was weird for them to add Viciedo with Eaton and Konerko and then a week a later, just not name him in the newest lineup. I dont know just something to keep an eye on.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Phegley will be in the Sox org somewhere in 2014, almost guaranteed. May not be in Chicago on Opening Day, but he's not got much value in trade, so he's probably in Charlotte if not Chicago. So he's a pretty safe guy to run out there, and he did seem to have some fan appeal last year. Plus, as you may note, the Sox have a number of prospects going this year, which is new: Micah Johnson and Marcus Semien are in the lineup.

They used to have prospects come when I used to go before they changed hotels. How could one forget getting Kris Honel's autograph? One of the best moments of my life. ;)

No offense but I googled sox fest line up and first link directed me to the sox website, where Viciedo is in the lineup to be there as well as new additions:

Current players Paul Konerko, Adam Eaton, Jose Abreu, Adam Dunn, Avisail Garcia, Josh Phegley, Nate Jones, Matt Lindstrom, Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo, past stars Ron Kittle, Carlos May, Minnie Minoso, Tom Paciorek, Gary Peters and Frank Thomas, manager Robin Ventura, and coaches Don Cooper and Todd Steverson, along with White Sox prospects Erik Johnson, Micah Johnson and Marcus Semien.

Recently added - current players Paul Konerko, Adam Eaton, Dayan Viciedo, prospect Micah Johnson, and coaches Don Cooper and Todd Steverson!

Link: http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/soxfest_2014.jsp

Definitely reading too much into things, personally I think Viciedo is staying put.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

From a Press Release Today:

The Chicago White Sox announced an expanded list of former players scheduled to appear at SoxFest 2014, which now includes special guests Bo Jackson, named the Greatest Athlete of All-Time by ESPN's Sport Science, and Jim Thome, whose 612 career home runs place him seventh on the all-time list.

Jackson and Thome join current players Jose Abreu, Adam Dunn, Adam Eaton, Avisail Garcia, Erik Johnson, Nate Jones, Paul Konerko, Matt Lindstrom, Josh Phegley, Alexei Ramirez and Marcus Semien, and White Sox prospect Micah Johnson, who all are scheduled to be at SoxFest. Other former Sox players planning to attend, including Ron Kittle, Carlos May, Minnie Minoso, Tom Paciorek, Gary Peters and Frank Thomas. White Sox manager Robin Ventura also will be in attendance, as well as pitching coach Don Cooper and new hitting coach Todd Steverson.

LINK: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
No offense but I googled sox fest line up and first link directed me to the sox website, where Viciedo is in the lineup to be there as well as new additions:

Current players Paul Konerko, Adam Eaton, Jose Abreu, Adam Dunn, Avisail Garcia, Josh Phegley, Nate Jones, Matt Lindstrom, Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo, past stars Ron Kittle, Carlos May, Minnie Minoso, Tom Paciorek, Gary Peters and Frank Thomas, manager Robin Ventura, and coaches Don Cooper and Todd Steverson, along with White Sox prospects Erik Johnson, Micah Johnson and Marcus Semien.

Recently added - current players Paul Konerko, Adam Eaton, Dayan Viciedo, prospect Micah Johnson, and coaches Don Cooper and Todd Steverson!

Link: http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/soxfest_2014.jsp

Definitely reading too much into things, personally I think Viciedo is staying put.

Oops/

In the Chat at MLBTraderumors.com Rick Hahn asked 2 questions:

1. Who will get me the best trade value for a catcher, DeAza or Viciedo? Answer was: DeAza

2. If I trade Dunn how much of his contract will I have to eat? Answer: 10mil

So far I love the moves Hahn has made, but don't think he is done yet.

QUOTE (midway @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
In the Chat at MLBTraderumors.com Rick Hahn asked 2 questions:

1. Who will get me the best trade value for a catcher, DeAza or Viciedo? Answer was: DeAza

2. If I trade Dunn how much of his contract will I have to eat? Answer: 10mil

So far I love the moves Hahn has made, but don't think he is done yet.

uhhhhh, wha?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
I don't think the Sox are trading Viciedo unless we get surprised and are able to get someone like Grandal for him. To be frank, as quite a few posters have pointed out, there doesn't appear (obviously known of us truly know the market) to be much upside in trading Viciedo due to the perceived overall low return we'd expect to get back.

My guess is either Viciedo or De Aza will be gone but it depends I suppose of who has the most trade value. I am guessing De Aza

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
uhhhhh, wha?

It was a joke. Steve Adams at MLBTR does live chats every now and then. A user with the name "Rick Hahn" asked those two questions. Adams said De Aza has more value, because Viciedo is a poor mans Mark Trumbo. Adam also said the SOX would have to eat $10M to move Dunn. Just some dudes opinion.