2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Alright seriously Mad Men, wtf. Do you really expect us to believe for the 19th time that Don has hit rock bottom and is going to change his ways?

I'm never not going to like Mad Men (they're too close to the end for that). But this show would have been better off as 5-6 great seasons, and leave on top.

Breaking Bad did it right.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
I'm never not going to like Mad Men (they're too close to the end for that). But this show would have been better off as 5-6 great seasons, and leave on top.

Breaking Bad did it right.

Totally agree. It's been slowly going downhill, even with some standout episodes/scenes.

I think Breaking Bad ruined it for me. I want something to happen in the 50 minutes I'm watching, something I haven't seen before. Mad Men is just interesting conversations/scenes, which at times can (and has) been great, but too often it's just repeating past themes. Again, that entire episode arc with Don wasn't interesting. It was old and boring. We've literally seen him do this 50 times in the past. Hell, the previous episode he was at home drinking, sulking, at rock bottom, and then he "redeems" himself by accepting the lesser role at work. And we just went through the same crap again this episode.

I enjoyed the hippy commune stuff, that was fun seeing Roger in that environment. I enjoyed Peggy's difficulty/unease with the situation with Don and the new account. Everything else has been done before and is no longer interesting.

In my opinion, what made Mad Men great was learning about the characters and their back stories as they went along.

Once you know everything about the character, it gets a bit familiar to things that have already happened. It's still good. The writing is top-notch. The stories are interesting. I just can't be surprised like I used to.

That said, I fully expect the last seven episodes to be great next year.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
And despite liking the final season, I can easily see this being a show where the finale is despised by most.

I'll be upset if it's one of those "and life goes on" type endings. I don't need Don to die or anything drastic like that, but for all this build up of redemption and change, he better, you know, redeem himself and change.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
Am I the only one sticking with Orphan Black? I like some of the revelations so far.

I live with a guy that watches 60+ shows a week... and he claims it is within his top 3. Just so many different ways to go with that series. You never know what to expect next from what he tells me, and from whatever I read about the series.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
Am I the only one sticking with Orphan Black? I like some of the revelations so far.

I haven't missed an episode yet. It's been very entertaining although I am starting to get a bit lost in all the different factions they are introducing.....

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 12, 2014 -> 05:19 AM)
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. renewed for a second season and Agent Carter greenlit for a series, skipping the pilot.

So the same actress as the movies, right?

And it will all be set in the post-World War II period, from 1945-53?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 12, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
Peter Dinklage absolutely nailed the scene where he demands a trial by combat last night. I knew what to expect from the books but that was so perfectly written and acted. That is an Emmy nominating scene right there without a doubt to me

I have read that a few places. I really enjoyed the scene, but I also felt Dany had a pretty awesome scene herself, realizing the repercussions of her actions