Spring Training 2014

justBLAZE

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this probably won't be a very popular thing to say and I admit may not be the wisest of decisions but if Keppinger and Beckham are going to start the season on the DL then I would seriously consider releasing them both and move forward with Semien at 2B with Leury on the bench.

I've just had enough of both Keppinger and Beckham. Forget trying to get anything for them and just move on. Beckham would likely get picked by another team so the Sox end up off the hook for his salary which means were only stuck paying Keppingers salary until he got picked up.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
I know this probably won't be a very popular thing to say and I admit may not be the wisest of decisions but if Keppinger and Beckham are going to start the season on the DL then I would seriously consider releasing them both and move forward with Semien at 2B with Leury on the bench.

I've just had enough of both Keppinger and Beckham. Forget trying to get anything for them and just move on. Beckham would likely get picked by another team so the Sox end up off the hook for his salary which means were only stuck paying Keppingers salary until he got picked up.

Lawyers more qualified with union regulations may be able to fill in on this further, but I am about 99% sure you cannot release a union employee who suffered an injury while on the job. Hell, you typically can't release them if it's a non-work related injury. They can be "replaced" in the sense that their starting position may not be there when they return, but the only reasons you would be able to release someone is due to inferior performance for their expected level of play or player request (or are otherwise detrimental to the team). If they want, they could certainly banish both of them to the 60 day DL for the entire year (though I'm sure there are safe guards against that too), but that doesn't make a lot of sense anyways.

In football, they have a work around because the injured reserve removes a player's eligibility for the remainder of the league's fiscal year, but if they are healthy, they can be released from their current contract with an injury settlement and that clause only stipulates that said player cannot re-sign with the releasing team.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)

Ummm, no, or we already would have done it with Dunn and Danks, Blue Jays with Santos, etc.

Like it or not, we're stuck with DeAza, Beckham and Kepp until they're traded.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Lawyers more qualified with union regulations may be able to fill in on this further, but I am about 99% sure you cannot release a union employee who suffered an injury while on the job. Hell, you typically can't release them if it's a non-work related injury. They can be "replaced" in the sense that their starting position may not be there when they return, but the only reasons you would be able to release someone is due to inferior performance for their expected level of play or player request (or are otherwise detrimental to the team). If they want, they could certainly banish both of them to the 60 day DL for the entire year (though I'm sure there are safe guards against that too), but that doesn't make a lot of sense anyways.

In football, they have a work around because the injured reserve removes a player's eligibility for the remainder of the league's fiscal year, but if they are healthy, they can be released from their current contract with an injury settlement and that clause only stipulates that said player cannot re-sign with the releasing team.

Good points, I didn't even think about it but I'd have to say you are correct.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
Ummm, no, or we already would have done it with Dunn and Danks, Blue Jays with Santos, etc.

Like it or not, we're stuck with DeAza, Beckham and Kepp until they're traded.

Well, I did say it probably wasn't the wisest idea. I do think Dunn and Danks are a bit different seeing as how they make so much there's no chance a team would take them and their salaries if they were released by the Sox but the salaries of Keppinger and Beckham have a better chance of getting picked up seeing as how those salaries are much cheaper than that of Danks and Dunn.

In the end you are very much correct, were stuck with them. Guess I'm just sick of both players.

I thought it was odd, if you look at the AP version of the game story from yesterday - run on lots of sites - it says that Marcus Semien has "all but clinched a roster spot". Does that AP wire writer know something everyone else doesn't? I suspect he/she was just reading between the lines and making a stretched assumption. If Beckham is healthy, I think there is very little chance Semien is on the roster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
I thought it was odd, if you look at the AP version of the game story from yesterday - run on lots of sites - it says that Marcus Semien has "all but clinched a roster spot". Does that AP wire writer know something everyone else doesn't? I suspect he/she was just reading between the lines and making a stretched assumption. If Beckham is healthy, I think there is very little chance Semien is on the roster.

Has Beckham played an AB since his injury? Any talk on him playing today/tomorrow?

Gordon Beckham (oblique) has performed limited baseball activities over the past two days.

However, Beckham has yet to test his oblique and the White Sox are preparing for the possibility that he'll begin the year on the disabled list. "It’s tricky," said White Sox manager Robin Ventura. "We have to wait and make sure he’s ok, doesn’t go out and hurt himself again, then you lose him for 15 more days. Just being very careful with him." Marcus Semien will likely play second base if he begins the year on the DL.

Source: CSNChicago.com

Couple of observations I've had this spring:

Good:

- Marcus Semien is going to be a great #2 hitter playing 2nd base for this franchise

- Jose Abreu is going to make The Cell look very small in the summer

- Danks seems to have much more confidence than he did this time last year

- Adam Eaton reminds me of Nick Punto at the plate, only with the ability to hit the ball hard

- Davidson should be MLB caliber very soon

Bad:

- Scott Downs looks to have lost quite a bit off his fastball

- I'm not a fan of Avi's swing plane right now. Seems to be hitting everything on the ground.

- Dunn still looks like he's never seen a 2 strike breaking pitch low and in

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
Couple of observations I've had this spring:

Good:

- Marcus Semien is going to be a great #2 hitter playing 2nd base for this franchise

- Jose Abreu is going to make The Cell look very small in the summer

- Danks seems to have much more confidence than he did this time last year

- Adam Eaton reminds me of Nick Punto at the plate, only with the ability to hit the ball hard

- Davidson should be MLB caliber very soon

Bad:

- Scott Downs looks to have lost quite a bit off his fastball

- I'm not a fan of Avi's swing plane right now. Seems to be hitting everything on the ground.

- Dunn still looks like he's never seen a 2 strike breaking pitch low and in

That IS his swing plane. There's no right now about it. He has a career GB% of 57.1% at the MLB level.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
That IS his swing plane. There's no right now about it. He has a career GB% of 57.1% at the MLB level.

Yeah, I thought I remembered you posting something like this a week ago. Hopefully he works on it a bit, as he has too much talent to be so predictable at the plate.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Yeah, I thought I remembered you posting something like this a week ago. Hopefully he works on it a bit, as he has too much talent to be so predictable at the plate.

I think it was actually Eminor, but we're both relatively down on him. The talent is massive and hopefully working with Steverson and playing alongside Abreu can help correct that, but massive power potential doesn't do the team a lot of good in batting practice.