2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:01 AM)
It's not and it doesn't need to be changed.

At one time, this may have been equally true for "Sambo," but most agree that time has passed.

Anyway, we all know that Indian idiom and imagery are only racist when dancing is involved.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I accept that Native tribes take exception to the name. Im not going to get filibuster on it, if a culture feels a term is a derogatory term towards them, who am i to say it is or is not right.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
I can't wait until people start clamoring for Notre Dame to change their nickname. That one will be epic.

I just dont think that would ever happen, unless people take offense to the "fightin" part of it, and even then i dont think it would ever happen. It just isnt comparable

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
I just dont think that would ever happen, unless people take offense to the "fightin" part of it, and even then i dont think it would ever happen. It just isnt comparable

I just wish people would stop being so damn sensitive to everything though.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
I can't wait until people start clamoring for Notre Dame to change their nickname. That one will be epic.

I don't think it's very strong, but I have seen some opposition to it citing the "fighting" part of the name as degrading to Irish and painting a picture of them as drunken brawlers.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
I just wish people would stop being so damn sensitive to everything though.

This times everything.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
Most of us don't know Native Americans, so we don't realize what things do or do not bother them

I'm sensitive towards other peoples beliefs and feelings, but I don't get why it's an issue now when the Redskins name has been around for over 50 years.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

But they make good ovens

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 07:00 AM)
I'm sensitive towards other peoples beliefs and feelings, but I don't get why it's an issue now when the Redskins name has been around for over 50 years.

I could care less either way in the Redskins debate (I think that, while less derogatory, the Indians and Braves are just as bad), but the bolded is a terrible reason to keep a name. There are a lot of things that have stuck around throughout history just because they haven't "offended" someone in the last 50 years (even though they likely did), but that doesn't mean things shouldn't change when times change.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)

If there was an MLB team named the Atlanta N*****s, it might well have existed until the 1970's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
If there was an MLB team named the Atlanta N*****s, it might well have existed until the 1970's.

But there wasn't because it's ridiculous, like that analogy.

Changing from the Bullets to the Wizards to get away from a violent ideology would've been more suitable.

If every school or team changes their Indian mascot names, fine, but why is Washington being singled out?

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)

Changing from the Bullets to the Wizards to get away from a violent ideology would've been more suitable.

If every school or team changes their Indian mascot names, fine, but why is Washington being singled out?

Because "redskin" is a particularly derogatory term that cannot be construed as deferent or respectful

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)

The only reason its ridiculous is that there are more people in the country who are subject to that slur so it's harder to ignore. It really ought to be that simple.

Pretty much all of the HS level teams and a good portion of the college level teams have changed their names, with exceptions being like Florida State because of their relationship with the Seminole tribe. Washington is being singled out because they are resisting and saying nothing is wrong with is because it has been around a long time, which as previously stated is a terrible reason.

Plus, Dan Snyder is as subtle as a tack hammer and has handled this situation terribly at every turn. I mean, he basically has used the "I have black friends" defense.

There used to be a high school in North Dakota (many, many Germans and Scandinavians) whose mascot was the Wops. I had never heard anyone use that phrase, but it's still an incredibly derogatory name. They are now the Huskies.

There used to be a high school in North Dakota (many, many Germans and Scandinavians) whose mascot was the Wops. I had never heard anyone use that phrase, but it's still an incredibly derogatory name. They are now the Huskies.

As a fat person I find that offensive.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
As a fat person I find that offensive.

Time to start a petition. As an irishman, i am starting my own so i can take down Notre Dame.

Its not like there are teams with Indian based names in Illinois or anything...

Time to start a petition. As an irishman, i am starting my own so i can take down Notre Dame.

The problem is that if you fight to get the name changed, then you by definition are a Fighting Irish.

Are there any Illini fans here who think the Redskins name has to go but where pretty upset when they dumped the Chief? That was a controversy, but apparently the Chief offended some. My thing is if the Redskins name really does offend, and it does seem to do just that, just change it. What really is gained by keeping it? The Washington DC NFL team isn't going to be any less popular.

I think the only problem is where do you draw the line? People will be offended by everything, especially if they know being offended will get some change. I think Redskins and Chief Wahoo are far enough on the wrong side of that line to go away. They are far more offensive IMO than Illinois' Chief or Marquette calling their teams Warriors.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
The problem is that if you fight to get the name changed, then you by definition are a Fighting Irish.

The fighting Sioux got the Fighting Sioux changed, so you may be out of luck.