2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 07:52 AM)
Seems to me like Chudzinski is Bears first choice for OC. For some reason, he isn't interviewing with Rams. He was either blocked from interviewing or staying with the Colts. Charlie Weis interviewed yesterday. My guess is that Chud can't be had, Weis isn't the right fit, and now they will lock up Adam Gase today.

I don't know if this is possible, there has been zero word whether Jim bobby cooter or Chudz were ever allowed to interview anywhere yet.

I would love Chudz, I think he got totally screwed in Cleveland.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm crazy, but in a head to head matchup of videotaping practices vs deflating balls, I don't really care about the deflated tactics. Take away some picks, sure. But I just don't think playing with a very slightly modified ball changes the game that much to matter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Maybe I'm crazy, but in a head to head matchup of videotaping practices vs deflating balls, I don't really care about the deflated tactics. Take away some picks, sure. But I just don't think playing with a very slightly modified ball changes the game that much to matter.

Isnt it harder to throw a spiral with a flat ball anyway? I dont get how its this huge advantage.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
I don't know if this is possible, there has been zero word whether Jim bobby cooter or Chudz were ever allowed to interview anywhere yet.

I would love Chudz, I think he got totally screwed in Cleveland.

Not true, Detroit denied the interview request a day ago

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lion...lions/21997153/

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)

I agree but I don't think it's really about the affect of the action at this point. This is an organization that now has an established history of cheating. More than anything, it's embarrassing for the NFL and the brand. Whether it's organizational or truly just Belichick focused, the NFL needs to put their foot down here to establish that these types of things are not allowed. If this was the first time, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but there is now an established pattern from this organization.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
The Saints lost back to back 2nd round picks because of the bounty scandal. Flat out cheating, and when it's not the first time, is a worse offense to the integrity of the league. Losing two firsts is not crippling or equal to the NCAA death penalty. You'd have to forfeit all your picks for 3 years to make that statement. Losing 2 first round picks at the end of the 1st round will not come close to crippling your franchise.

Personally I thought the Saints Bountygate was way worse than Deflategate and deserves a worse penalty.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
I agree but I don't think it's really about the affect of the action at this point. This is an organization that now has an established history of cheating. More than anything, it's embarrassing for the NFL and the brand. Whether it's organizational or truly just Belichick focused, the NFL needs to put their foot down here to establish that these types of things are not allowed. If this was the first time, it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but there is now an established pattern from this organization.

Yeah, I agree some punishment is in order. But I consider this fun cheating vs. something that would be truly devastating like point-shaving. Hell, I think the Dez Bryant non-catch and uproar does more to spoil the brand. Even though that was the right call and we all just love making fun of the cowboys on this board.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:18 AM)
I'm not a rule guru but every single article I've read states the Colts were indeed using the same balls, and many of the articles saying this wouldn't affect outcome of the game. Just playing devils advocate.

Its a bunch to do with nothing. This should be a non story.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 06:33 AM)
Brad Johnson admits to paying a $7500 bribe before the Super Bowl in 2003 for someone tamper with 100 footballs to make them easier to grip. I wonder if the Patriots aren't the only team to do this, just the only ones dumb enough to get caught.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...the-super-bowl/

It is done a lot. It is not much different to me than a pitcher doctoring with the baseball (which I happen to find part of the game). This is being made into such a bigger deal than it is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
I thought the Schefter tweet yesterday reopened the issue

Their have been mixed reports as to whether Bears received permission or not. Nothing has been widely reported. The entire media reporting around Halas Hall has been pretty much pure trash. With the new guy in charge, no one has the same ties or I presume that is what is leading to this lack of quality reporting.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
I'd either take 1sts and 2nds for the next three years or if they REALLY wanted to drop the hammer: No picks this year. None. It should have an effect like the Joe Smith - Timberwolves penalty.

Thinking back to the penalties New Orleans got hit with for their bounties, I think the penalty should be people in the organization getting suspended. Kick Belichek out for a year, like happened to NO. If you find out anyone else was involved, suspend them as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Their have been mixed reports as to whether Bears received permission or not. Nothing has been widely reported. The entire media reporting around Halas Hall has been pretty much pure trash. With the new guy in charge, no one has the same ties or I presume that is what is leading to this lack of quality reporting.

Right, basically everyone just focusing on Aaron Leming who is basically just throwing out everything he's hearing in the echo chamber.

Apparently George did not get close with any media, so that whole group is starting from scratch. Not as much fun, that's for sure.

Yuck to CLE's new OC.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
If the under-inflated balls are such a big deal, you would think one of the officials would notice when it gets put in play.

Not necessarily, it might only be noticeable when squeezed, as when making a catch, which I think is the reason for doing it. And IIRC, Illinois played part of a B1G game with a smaller, womens basketball a few seasons back before anybody noticed.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
Not necessarily, it might only be noticeable when squeezed, as when making a catch, which I think is the reason for doing it. And IIRC, Illinois played part of a B1G game with a smaller, womens basketball a few seasons back before anybody noticed.

In college bball and football each team uses it's own brand of balls. IN football when the offense switches they switch out the balls the teams use. Each team could use a different brand and model of ball. In bball, you use whatever the home team supplies. The ball is kind of important but not by as many points as NE won by.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Thinking back to the penalties New Orleans got hit with for their bounties, I think the penalty should be people in the organization getting suspended. Kick Belichek out for a year, like happened to NO. If you find out anyone else was involved, suspend them as well.

Are they going to kick other QBs out of the league though? Guys do this every week. QB's get the balls aired up to their liking and basically force the officials to call them on it. This goes on a ton.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
I just want to know why the refs didnt catch any of it. 2lbs isnt a little bit. That is an obvious difference

They didn't catch it because they have too much other s*** to worry about in the micro-managed modern NFL. There are so many bulls*** rules to keep count of, how can the officials possibly worry about everything?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
Are they going to kick other QBs out of the league though? Guys do this every week. QB's get the balls aired up to their liking and basically force the officials to call them on it. This goes on a ton.

I thought I've been reading that this is not true and in fact NFL officials are tasked with testing the balls prior to each game?

I agree with those that think this is going to be blown out of proportion (already there probably) but I also agree that the Pats should be hit hard for this. They're skirting the rules purposefully to gain an advantage. Now they've been caught twice. It's making the NFL look bad, it's delegitimizing a lot of what they've accomplished and a message should be sent.

Also, deflating balls is not the same as scuffing up brand new balls. One is a slight adjustment to the surface of the ball, the other is changing the nature of the ball. 2 lbs of air is quite a lot in a football.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
They didn't catch it because they have too much other s*** to worry about in the micro-managed modern NFL. There are so many bulls*** rules to keep count of, how can the officials possibly worry about everything?

The league enjoys revenues in the billions. They can afford to hire anyone they want, including a "ball inflation checker" guy.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)

The head ref is supposed to inspect the balls, its part of their job. Whether or not it is micro managed, its in the job description and these guys get paid a ton of money for maybe 20 days out of the year of actual game work. I dont think its too much to ask for them to notice a ball is very under-inflated

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
I just want to know why the refs didnt catch any of it. 2lbs isnt a little bit. That is an obvious difference

What's funny is that the Colts LB noticed, who probably rarely touches a game ball, but the referees who constantly move and place the ball didn't notice.