2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Tomlin impressed me getting to playoffs this year. He did move into a posiiton with a loaded defense, franchise QB, and the best d coordinator in the business.

That team is in transition and hasn't been drafting lights out, but they are getting there once again under him.

But ask any steeler fan and he's only a winner because of LeBeau.

Steeler fans don't love him. I was quietly hoping the Steelers were going to get rid of him when they lost to the Ravens.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Long and Bennett fight on twitter over an unfollow.

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/chic...150113_38704287

I really wish Long would leave twitter alone for a while. I really like the guy and he is one of the couple talents ever unearthed by one Phil Emery but he gets into too much drama in the twitter world. Not too long ago he was starting up a fight with Laurence Holmes on twitter. What is the point of this juvenile back and forth with words on social media with your teammate? Grow up dude.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:25 PM)
Steeler fans don't love him. I was quietly hoping the Steelers were going to get rid of him when they lost to the Ravens.

Outside of Belichick I wonder how many NFL fans actually love their team's head coach?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)
Outside of Belichick I wonder how many NFL fans actually love their team's head coach?

Mike McCarthy makes me angry sometimes, but I wouldn't trade him for any coach in the league. Outside Belichick, maybe.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)

Seahawks/Ravens.

But yes, I think it's important to take fan feedback with a grain of salt. After 4-5 years, all that matters in fans eyes are weaknesses. Strengths receive no credit.

Basically, every coach seems to suck. If they don't win a SB, they aren't that good. Then, most that do win a SB didn't really deserve it. We know that Fox is no disaster. If you think the team needs a bona fide leader, I think he's probably it. No matter who the coach is, we're going to b**** and moan about his constant in-game management problems starting in year 2.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
Long and Bennett fight on twitter over an unfollow.

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/chic...150113_38704287

I think Martellus is in the right there, even though who knows why he unfollowed him. Probably thought Kyle was annoying.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
There isnt any perfect coaching candidate out there right now. Fox has had success in multiple different scenarios, but he has also had some failure, and hasnt won the big game in a few tries.

He was a missed field goal away from winning the superbowl with Jake f***ing Delhomme. He won a playoff game and a division with Tim Tebow. Dude is the best coach to not have a superbowl, imo. At least best coach in modern era without a superbowl. Him and Marty Schottenheimer. What a f***ing coup it would be to hire Fox. Top 5 coach in this league, imo.

Note: I am not saying that he will instantly make us a contender but would certainly would be a step in the right direction.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
He was a missed field goal away from winning the superbowl with Jake f***ing Delhomme. He won a playoff game and a division with Tim Tebow. Dude is the best coach to not have a superbowl, imo. At least best coach in modern era without a superbowl. Him and Marty Schottenheimer. What a f***ing coup it would be to hire Fox. Top 5 coach in this league, imo.

Note: I am not saying that he will instantly make us a contender but would certainly would be a step in the right direction.

Dont get me wrong, I want him too. Im just pointing out that there isnt a guy out there that doesnt have a issue, whether it is inexperience or failure at previous jobs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
Dont get me wrong, I want him too. Im just pointing out that there isnt a guy out there that doesnt have a issue, whether it is inexperience or failure at previous jobs

I should point out, I forgot Marv Levy.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
I really wish Long would leave twitter alone for a while. I really like the guy and he is one of the couple talents ever unearthed by one Phil Emery but he gets into too much drama in the twitter world. Not too long ago he was starting up a fight with Laurence Holmes on twitter. What is the point of this juvenile back and forth with words on social media with your teammate? Grow up dude.

I blame Trestman.

I think GoSox was really on the ball and informative when he talked about how Playoffs are a big part luck and you just need to get in there to give yourself a chance. We saw one of the best teams ever, the 07 patriots lose. Best QB, Best WR, great defense, greatest coach in the league. They did not win a superbowl.

If we get to the point where we have the talent of a perennial playoff team that isn't getting over the hump, like dumping marty for norv turner, I'll be happy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
I blame Trestman.

The combination of him and Cutler's leadership qualities was just horrific. If Trestman worked with a Brady, Trestman would be an utter genius and work perfect but his personality is a disaster with a QB like Jay (from a leadership perspective).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Per Dan Bernstein and Terry Boers. We each have a different source in bears, and told them all in on Fox. Looks like the Bears are going after John Fox hard

I thought John Fox had interest to come to the Bears as well?

What's the hold up then?

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
I thought John Fox had interest to come to the Bears as well?

What's the hold up then?

Presume they need to meet, talk figures, etc. As long as we are first team to meet with him, that is what matters. I also don't think we could just tell Austin no (and bump his interview). I'm sure Pace called him, said we are extremely interested in meeting, is the interest mutual...yes, okay when works for you. We have Austin lined up tomorrow between these slots and any other time works for us but we want you to know that we think you are fantastic and really want to get to know you during this process and make you our next head football coach. Obviously the key is to make sure that our personalities and football ideas align, etc, as we want to have strong working relationships.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
Presume they need to meet, talk figures, etc. As long as we are first team to meet with him, that is what matters. I also don't think we could just tell Austin no (and bump his interview). I'm sure Pace called him, said we are extremely interested in meeting, is the interest mutual...yes, okay when works for you. We have Austin lined up tomorrow between these slots and any other time works for us but we want you to know that we think you are fantastic and really want to get to know you during this process and make you our next head football coach. Obviously the key is to make sure that our personalities and football ideas align, etc, as we want to have strong working relationships.

Yea I guess I'm just kinda surprised with all the sources saying it's a match between Bears and Fox that this process hasn't sped up, all other HC candidates are on their 2nd interview and the Bears are still kinda pondering around.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Yea I guess I'm just kinda surprised with all the sources saying it's a match between Bears and Fox that this process hasn't sped up, all other HC candidates are on their 2nd interview and the Bears are still kinda pondering around.

Isn't Bowles the only one on any 2nd interview and technically those have just been scheduled. Check that, I guess Del Rio with Oakland. It isn't like a bunch of candidates are gone at this point. I think stuff starts to move pretty quick tomorrow (which is when I'm going to guess they meet with Fox).

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)

THe GM delayed things, but I have to say, considering we had no GM either I am fine with progress so far for 2 reasons:

- Dan Quinn

- John Fox

If Bowles was the only coach I wanted I'd be nervous. I think he'll be fine, but his age does worry me.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
Thing about Fox is he has successfully built two winning coaching staffs. let to be said about that.

Perry Fewell could be the DC

Yeah I think that is what gives him the upper hand to all the other candidates. He can definitely build a quality staff thats done it before from day one and create a culture around the Bears of professionals ready to compete.

Pace cant have a flop here. They are aware they cant have an Emery like failure with the hire and dont want to risk it with one of the up and comers that are available. Fox is the safe bet which equals that smart bet in this case.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
Yeah I think that is what gives him the upper hand to all the other candidates. He can definitely build a quality staff thats done it before from day one and create a culture around the Bears of professionals ready to compete.

Pace cant have a flop here. They are aware they cant have an Emery like failure with the hire and dont want to risk it with one of the up and comers that are available. Fox is the safe bet which equals that smart bet in this case.

Plus if you are a GM, making your first coaching hire, unless Fox says something that would completely annoy you, it would be hard to go against the recommendation of your consultant (Ernie) and one of your closest professional contacts in Sean Payton. Let alone his general track record. The hire of Fox essentially guarantees that he'll have a chance to hire a 2nd coach. Obviously you want it to be the right coach but I think he is not only the right coach for the Bears but also the right choice for Pace in his career. No one is going to hammer him if he misses on Bowles when he went for Fox (I mean people will...but not to the extent that happened when we whiffed on the defending coach of the year for a CFL coach). It was that reckless decision that really was indicative of who Emery was (as he made a few other reckless decisions, imo) as a GM and why he wouldn't be successful.

The name of the game is clearing smarts and a little bit of luck but you also need to take calculated risks, not just any risk will do.