2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
The Bears are only 1 season removed from being 2nd in the NFL in points scored with Cutler at QB. Cutler could never live up to his contract. His dopey looks at press conferences and during games does him no good, but this isn't like Moses Moreno is lining up behind center.

Cutler does not get credit for all of that season.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just repeat, I do not want Cutler long-term, but I do not think we achieve any longterm advantage by getting rid of him this year unless we have identified a replacement. His contract is much easier to trade next year, and the biggest FA's are now off the board. We will have no issues adding to our team even with Cutler.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
I'll just repeat, I do not want Cutler long-term, but I do not think we achieve any longterm advantage by getting rid of him this year unless we have identified a replacement. His contract is much easier to trade next year, and the biggest FA's are now off the board. We will have no issues adding to our team even with Cutler.

Plus I think he we raise his stock a little bit this year under a team that is properly managed and coached. Hell its conceivable that he has a year next year good enough to where people dont want him gone. As crazy as that sounds.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
Plus I think he we raise his stock a little bit this year under a team that is properly managed and coached. Hell its conceivable that he has a year next year good enough to where people dont want him gone. As crazy as that sounds.

Come on now, how many times have we said this, and how many coaches have fallen on the sword. Its time to stop expecting this tiger to change his stripes

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
The Bears are only 1 season removed from being 2nd in the NFL in points scored with Cutler at QB. Cutler could never live up to his contract. His dopey looks at press conferences and during games does him no good, but this isn't like Moses Moreno is lining up behind center.

Seriously, that is so misleading. We were 2nd in points because of the system, not Cutler. What were our offensive ranks in other years with Cutler? How did McCown fare vs Cutler that year? The system aimed to simply the sets and the throws for Jay, and by the second season, the entire NFL had us figured out. How many times did we score over 30 last season? 0..

That system is gone, Marshall is gone, the system was exposed. Don't hold your breath to wait for Cutler to "lead" us to 2nd place scoring in NFL again.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
Come on now, how many times have we said this, and how many coaches have fallen on the sword. Its time to stop expecting this tiger to change his stripes

Dammit Kyle!

I am not saying it will happen or even that there is a good chance but there is an outside chance that exists that he can have a decent year next year and at least improve his stock from this year. If the offense has a year like Dallas had last year where they run the ball a hell of a lot more making him look better the conversation will change in Chicago for sure.

Jerk.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
Doing worse than what? 5-11? With the way backup QB's have performed for us the past couple of years, I think your point is highly debatable.

Like the second half of 2011 when Hanie & McCown saved the day when Cutler went down? Or the NFC Championship game that prior January?

Yes, McCown had that great 5-game stretch. It happened, unexplainedly. But he has been awful since then, Trestman is long gone, so I'm not gonna act like that makes everything OK using backup QBs. Nor does one home loss by Jimmy Clausen change anything either

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
Like the second half of 2011 when Hanie & McCown saved the day when Cutler went down? Or the NFC Championship game that prior January?

Yes, McCown had that great 5-game stretch. It happened, unexplainedly. But he has been awful since then, Trestman is long gone, so I'm not gonna act like that makes everything OK using backup QBs. Nor does one home loss by Jimmy Clausen change anything either

Yep. Nobody is going to "fix" Jay Cutler. He is what he is: One of the 15 best QBs in the NFL. He will give you decent QB play and too many turnovers. Here is what I do know though: From 2010-2012, the Bears gave up 18 PPG. During that span, Cutler went 27-13 as a starter with an NFC Title game appearance. In 2009, 2013, and 2014, the Bears defense gave up 27 PPG. In that span, Cutler went 17-25 as a starter.

Cutler is not Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Luck, or Brees. Stop expecting him to be. If they play defense, run the football, and play to Cutler's strengths, the team can win football games. It's really not that hard of a concept. Now if you hate him and think he's an asshole, that's fine. Just realize what he is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
All the QBs after Mariota/Winston are short and terrible.

Hundley isn't short but yeah. Hundley is draftable because of his "skills". The only other QB I'd spend a draft pick on is Chris Bonner from Colorado State Pueblo. More intrigued by him than any of the other guys.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
Seriously, that is so misleading. We were 2nd in points because of the system, not Cutler. What were our offensive ranks in other years with Cutler? How did McCown fare vs Cutler that year? The system aimed to simply the sets and the throws for Jay, and by the second season, the entire NFL had us figured out. How many times did we score over 30 last season? 0..

That system is gone, Marshall is gone, the system was exposed. Don't hold your breath to wait for Cutler to "lead" us to 2nd place scoring in NFL again.

Should have a decent system in place in 2015. The fact is, if the system is nice, the Bears offense can be pretty good with Cutler at QB even making his typical mistakes. The kissing up to Cutler is over. I can't stand the guy, but I'm am positive the Bears can win games with him at QB. They have before. He is paid way too much without a doubt, but the "he can't win a Super Bowl" crap is crap. No QB could have brought the 2014 Bears to the playoffs.

It was only a few years ago Cutler got hurt and people were upset he wouldn't return into the game. Now he sucks, he always has sucked, he always will suck. He isn't the elite guy most thought the Bears acquired when they traded for him, but he is middle of the pack. Ideally you would like your QB to be a leader, which he is not. That does hurt him, but he is still the best QB the Bears have ever had. I guess that is sad.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
Hundley isn't short but yeah. Hundley is draftable because of his "skills". The only other QB I'd spend a draft pick on is Chris Bonner from Colorado State Pueblo. More intrigued by him than any of the other guys.

Bonner would be a nice pick in the late rounds.

Bryce Petty might be worth a pick in the 3rd round or so.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
Bonner would be a nice pick in the late rounds.

Bryce Petty might be worth a pick in the 3rd round or so.

Bryce Petty is undraftable for me. He's already 24. No QB has entered the league via the draft at 24 and ever been successful. He also is extremely inaccurate which is #1 quality in a QB. He is also injured all the time. I like to sum up Petty as old, bad, injured, and inaccurate. That's just my opinion but taking Petty in the 3rd round would be a fireable offense for me.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Bryce Petty is undraftable for me. He's already 24. No QB has entered the league via the draft at 24 and ever been successful. He also is extremely inaccurate which is #1 quality in a QB. He is also injured all the time. I like to sum up Petty as old, bad, injured, and inaccurate. That's just my opinion but taking Petty in the 3rd round would be a fireable offense for me.

Brett Hundley is also horribly inaccurate. The QB class after Winston/Mariota is very weak. Im not even high on Mariota.

I technically think it is the safest move to keep Jay around. You can make the playoffs with Jay. If you pick the wrong rookie QB, you are going to be terrible and for a long long time. I think the landscape has already changed in Chicago where Jay no longer controls the team. It is actually ran by football people (Pace & Fox) and we'll see what those guys can do with Jay. I presume they don't like the idea of being backed into a corner with no Jay and really no top notch QB prospects available to them (odds of Mariotta falling are slim and anyone else in this draft is a pretty big project and even Mariotta / Winston are still projects themselves).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)
Should have a decent system in place in 2015. The fact is, if the system is nice, the Bears offense can be pretty good with Cutler at QB even making his typical mistakes. The kissing up to Cutler is over. I can't stand the guy, but I'm am positive the Bears can win games with him at QB. They have before. He is paid way too much without a doubt, but the "he can't win a Super Bowl" crap is crap. No QB could have brought the 2014 Bears to the playoffs.

It was only a few years ago Cutler got hurt and people were upset he wouldn't return into the game. Now he sucks, he always has sucked, he always will suck. He isn't the elite guy most thought the Bears acquired when they traded for him, but he is middle of the pack. Ideally you would like your QB to be a leader, which he is not. That does hurt him, but he is still the best QB the Bears have ever had. I guess that is sad.

This is a good post.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)

I don't think his age is really an issue. It's not like he is 29. Qb's have entered the draft at that age before and there have been plenty of qb who didn't start a game until they were 25 or 26.

I think the biggest question with him is how much of his success had to do with the system he was in. He does have the size and arm to play in the NFL. He can also move around pretty well.

I don't think taking a QB in the 3rd round is a fireable offense. If someone took him in the first round maybe.

Is today's opening of FA at 3pm going to be a whole lot more than every thing we already know with all the reported deals? I usually look forward to it but now we know deals in place so there is no rush of breaking news aspect to it, so it seems.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
I don't think his age is really an issue. It's not like he is 29. Qb's have entered the draft at that age before and there have been plenty of qb who didn't start a game until they were 25 or 26.

I think the biggest question with him is how much of his success had to do with the system he was in. He does have the size and arm to play in the NFL. He can also move around pretty well.

I don't think taking a QB in the 3rd round is a fireable offense. If someone took him in the first round maybe.

See I do because I don't think he's ever going to be an NFL starter. You need to get starters in round 3. Go look. QB's that were 24 at or around draft day. The next successful one will be the first.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:16 AM)
Is today's opening of FA at 3pm going to be a whole lot more than every thing we already know with all the reported deals? I usually look forward to it but now we know deals in place so there is no rush of breaking news aspect to it, so it seems.

I guess some of those deals could still fall through, a la Frank Gore to the Eagles.