Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
I'd GLADLY gamble 1/15 on Samardzija next year at this point.

Considering what they supposedly at least were prepared to pay him, that's a no brainer. It is highly unlikely he would accept, unless he blows out his elbow or something in the next few months.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)

Here's a potential problem. What if Samardzija accepts the qualifying offer?

i am in the group that thinks that if Shark accept the QO, i am good with it. esp for the following reasons. he is a better pitcher than what his record will show this yr, esp for what, 15 mil. he rebounds and and we get a comp pick in a good drafting yr. if he doesn't accept, then any team who signs him will give up a comp pick, unless they don't until the comp period is over. or, in any situation the sox trade him.

bottom line, next yr pitching staff will need definitely need an extra arm going into the 2016 season, and he is an experience arm as well.

it is a win/win scenario.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
Considering what they supposedly at least were prepared to pay him, that's a no brainer. It is highly unlikely he would accept, unless he blows out his elbow or something in the next few months.

as you said, if he accepts or not, the sox will be in the driver seat.

in the drivers seat..... nice song from Sniff 'n the tears...

damn i hate the way i think sometime.

I guess we disagree. Both Danks and Samardzija would cost 30M+ next season and both have ERA's hovering around 5 at the moment, no thanks.

I haven't followed him closely throughout the years, but from what little I've seen, his stuff seems to have declined a lot.

I know I'm a broken record about that trade. I just don't understand the logic. Semien isn't long for SS in Oakland and wouldn't be playing SS in Chicago. He's a pretty good 2nd baseman though.

Edited by TaylorStSox

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
I guess we disagree. Both Danks and Samardzija would cost 30M+ next season and both have ERA's hovering around 5 at the moment, no thanks.

there is nothing that can be done with Danks and his contract. while it was a contract well deserved. it the weight of that contract can not be helped for another yr. so should they stop any improvement to the team b/c of this contract?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
there is nothing that can be done with Danks and his contract. while it was a contract well deserved. it the weight of that contract can not be helped for another yr. so should they stop any improvement to the team b/c of this contract?

Ive come to accept Danks and his contract will be around for one more season but why repeat with Samardzija?

Are the Sox a better team with him now? How would the Sox be any better with him next year?

Samardzija is 30 years old, in the last year of his contract, will become a FA at seasons end and has an ERA of 4.93. For me, these are signs that the Sox should NOT keep Samardzija around

Can you imagine the b****ing that would be going on if the Sox had extended Samardzija earlier this year and is now pitching like s***?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
Ive come to accept Danks and his contract will be around for one more season but why repeat with Samardzija?

Are the Sox a better team with him now? How would the Sox be any better with him next year?

Samardzija is 30 years old, in the last year of his contract, will become a FA at seasons end and has an ERA of 4.93. For me, these are signs that the Sox should NOT keep Samardzija around

Can you imagine the b****ing that would be going on if the Sox had extended Samardzija earlier this year and is now pitching like s***?

next yr, the sox still needs another arm, who will that be? EJ, Drabek, Noesi, or who???

the sox already offered their priced which was paid already. i believe this is not the real Shark that the fans are seeing. keeping him for around 15 mil, and helps fill a spot in the rotation, i am looking at that, the big picture.

re no freaking way should the sox offer him the extension.

After giving up what they gave up there are only 3 options with Shark.

1. Sign him to an extension.

2. Give him a QO, let him walk, and collect a 2016 1st rounder.

3. Trade him at the deadline and acquire young talent.

There is no scenario in which it is acceptable to not offer a QO and let him leave without getting anything.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
After giving up what they gave up there are only 3 options with Shark.

1. Sign him to an extension.

2. Give him a QO, let him walk, and collect a 2016 1st rounder.

3. Trade him at the deadline and acquire young talent.

There is no scenario in which it is acceptable to not offer a QO and let him leave without getting anything.

If Sox give him a QO, he'll probably take it.

Trade him to the Cubs for Addison Russell.

re the trade idea, yeah i am for that, if the offer is really good.

i really hate to bring this up, but if the sox doesn't improve by what date should the sox start looking to trade the players on the major league team???

Lets hope he gets on a run and we can get something nice for him. Or that we go on a run along with him and it all becomes a moot point. With the way this team plays though, becoming less likely. They'll founder to .500 from time to time but just don't play heady enough baseball to overcome their other issues (e.g., crap defense and at this point, non-existent offense).

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
re the trade idea, yeah i am for that, if the offer is really good.

i really hate to bring this up, but if the sox doesn't improve by what date should the sox start looking to trade the players on the major league team???

There's nobody on the major league team to trade. Ramirez and Samardzija would be about it.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)

I'd bet dollar to donuts that Samardjiza doesn 't have an era of 5 at the end of the year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 08:51 AM)
I'd bet dollar to donuts that Samardjiza doesn 't have an era of 5 at the end of the year.

Ok...If his ERA ends up over 5, I get $100 (American, US Dollars)...if it ends up below 5, you get 100 donuts (I don't specific size or freshness of said donuts and me cutting 1 donut into 100 pieces, does qualify as 100 donuts).

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
next yr, the sox still needs another arm, who will that be? EJ, Drabek, Noesi, or who???

the sox already offered their priced which was paid already. i believe this is not the real Shark that the fans are seeing. keeping him for around 15 mil, and helps fill a spot in the rotation, i am looking at that, the big picture.

re no freaking way should the sox offer him the extension.

With the way Samardzija has pitched, I would have no problem with giving Drabek, Beck or Johnson a shot next year and spend the 16M elsewhere. There are still holes at 3B, C and 2B that money could help with.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather the Sox had better choices than Samardzija, Beck, Drabek and Johnson but that's what they have for now.

The Sox really need to learn not to trade with Oakland. :lol:

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)

hmmm Sale, Q, Rodon, Jose A, and i am sure someone will look to Avi,

I responded to this and didn't even notice the green font. haha my bad.

They aren't rebuilding though, man. They will try to compete next year. They won't be trading any of those guys. I would be stunned if they traded Melky, LaRoche, Duke, or Robertson as well. Just doesn't really make sense. They want to compete; not rebuild.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
With the way Samardzija has pitched, I would have no problem with giving Drabek, Beck or Johnson a shot next year and spend the 16M elsewhere. There are still holes at 3B, C and 2B that money could help with.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather the Sox had better choices than Samardzija, Beck, Drabek and Johnson but that's what they have for now.

would you have had the same opinion if the sox, Shark would have been doing better???

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)

Problem is, the only person at any of those 3 positions worth spending money on next offseason would be Matt Wieters. I'm fine with Beck or Johnson getting the 5th spot, but both of them in the rotation would not be good.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
would you have had the same opinion if the sox, Shark would have been doing better???

Honestly, I wanted nothing to do with Samardzija even before the trade so,yes, I would have the same opinion.

I didn't like giving up prospects for a one year of a pitcher that has consistently said he will test the FA market after the 2015 season. Would have preferred those prospects used on a pitcher that came with more years of control. In fact, I remember saying that when the thread was made last November. Another thing I didn't like was the idea of a multi year contract to a pitcher that will be 31 by the start of ST 2016.

To me, none of it added up to being the right move.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
Honestly, I wanted nothing to do with Samardzija even before the trade so,yes, I would have the same opinion.

I didn't like giving up prospects for a one year of a pitcher that has consistently said he will test the FA market after the 2015 season. Would have preferred those prospects used on a pitcher that came with more years of control. In fact, I remember saying that when the thread was made last November. Another thing I didn't like was the idea of a multi year contract to a pitcher that will be 31 by the start of ST 2016.

To me, none of it added up to being the right move.

there were a hand full of poster who rather objected, i was 1 and i know or 2 more, but i don't remember you posting.

my bad.

either way, Shark is on the team, and i want the best to happen.