2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY TWO

NorthSideSox72

Ryan Hinchley, LHP, University of Illinois (Chicago). 6'3, 205.

Drafted as a reliever and struggled largely during his career. 7.09 ERA during 1st three seasons. This is a senior sign and Sox will save money hear. Has flashed plus velocity and has struggled with his control.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
So, most of these guys seem like Slot or underslot signings....who are they saving for?

Probably Fulmer, honestly. Don't forget that the Sox have no 2nd or 3rd round cash to play with. That's a huge chunk of the pool.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
So, most of these guys seem like Slot or underslot signings....who are they saving for?

There could be a high school kid that they have talked to that they plan on drafting early tomorrow that they are saving money for.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Not sure on the point of this guy, even as a senior sign. His numbers are terrible.

They'll sign him for 10k. Probably another guy who came through the sox academy. Perhaps a favor to someone for some goodwill down the line.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
They probably see something mechanical they think they can fix.

The org's M.O. Even if he doesn't make it, he can still be a prospect to potentially deal as an asset later. (I.E. Dexter Carter)

Joe Demers is a name I like early tomorrow. I think he's the type of guy where you get top few round upside, who might actually be willing to sign for what we could squeeze in (using our allocation). I presume guys like Hopper / Molnar / Beck / Everly are out of the equation. I'd love Hopper...big projectable 6'7 lefty with a power arm but he's not going to get enough. He is UCLA bound (along with Molnar). Beck, with strong committ to Stanford and Everly w/Vandy. Demers is @ Washington which isn't near the baseball program / school as the others I am mentioning.

QUOTE (wsiskel @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
More on Erwin from The Augusta Chronicle: (link: http://chronicle.augusta.com/content/blog-...player-reports)

"Clemson Jr. LHP Zack Erwin: Among a stable of projectable left-handers on Clemson's staff, Erwin is the leader of that group. He's incredibly long and full of projection, and it's tantalizing coming from the left side. His fastball was 86-90 with good tailing action and arm-side life. He doesn't go inside with as much confidence as Crownover, but he's capable of working both sides enough. Coming from a three-quarters slot and solid extension at 90 on the outer half is tough to hit.

Erwin's curveball was 73-75 with good two-plane action, and very good late bite for the velocity. The depth isn't as strong as Crownover's, but it comes at a different shape from a lower slot. Erwin will get under his breaking balls at times by dropping his arm slot, and he can also cut his finish short and leave the ball up. But the delivery is clean for the most part. He throws a tighter breaking ball at 81-83 that looks like a slider. It's basically the same shape and depth but at more velo, so you could call it a change-of-pace breaking ball. I never saw a changeup from Erwin, so the two breaking balls feed off each other as a change of pace.

Erwin should probably work on adding a touch of extension and finish more consistently to keep the arm slot up, but the framework is there for a projectable starting pitcher who could add a tick or two of velo and have three solid pitches."

Sounds more like John Danks now.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
Probably Fulmer, honestly. Don't forget that the Sox have no 2nd or 3rd round cash to play with. That's a huge chunk of the pool.

I'd honestly be surprised if he got over slot. If he does, I imagine the Sox see him as a fast mover.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
I'd honestly be surprised if he got over slot. If he does, I imagine the Sox see him as a fast mover.

If he really wants to go on the Chris Sale path he either signs for under slot or close to it to get into the system quickly. If he is looking for more, he will miss valuable time. Just look at Rodon last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Danny Wright comes to mind, but I can't remember his exact college numbers. I do remember them being ugly.

Iirc we drafted a guy with a big time arm relatively early, I think from a Texas school, with just dreadful stats last year. Can't remember his name but I bet he sucks.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
Iirc we drafted a guy with a big time arm relatively early, I think from a Texas school, with just dreadful stats last year. Can't remember his name but I bet he sucks.

Zach Thompson? His number weren't that dreadful in college and he hasn't been terrible so far in the minors (far from great though).

I did a story on Ryan Hinchley, the 9th rounder, last summer when he was playing summer ball locally. He went to York HS in Elmhurst. Was a really cool dude. He's had major control problems since high school and this season might have been his best, including his high school years. I can't imagine he had any dream of getting drafted before this spring, and certainly not this early.

http://m.mysuburbanlife.com/2014/07/11/yor...hounds/a15n57t/

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
CF Jackson Glines. Michigan

Hit .357/.456/.506 across 4 years with Fresno City College and Michigan.

Also hit well in the Cape Cod League. Like that pick a lot better than the 9th.

Edited by Feeky Magee