Matt Davidson named Best Defensive 3B

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Glad to hear they were working with him.

Pretty much every interview I have ever heard on this topic is something to the effect of the coaching staff knows what changes it wants to make, but until the player is open to making them, it doesn't matter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 07:26 AM)
Pretty much every interview I have ever heard on this topic is something to the effect of the coaching staff knows what changes it wants to make, but until the player is open to making them, it doesn't matter.

I think it is more then that. Even when a player is open to them, it isn't necessarily easy to just change something you have severe muscle memory towards. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You can't take someone and totally recreate their swing. And sometimes you just can't get whatever they are trying to do to work. By and large, most of what they are at that point is set, so the changes tend to be minor. Approaches are something you can absolutely work on though (again, easier said then done).

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 02:14 AM)
He's almost under .200 now in his third year in AAA. Someone in the organization flat out blew their scouting of him. Davidson is the hitting equivalent of Nestor Molina.

re scouting, i agree someone was seeing something......

but he put up better avg in the west coast league. is it that bad??? if not, what happen???

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
He's almost under .200 now in his third year in AAA. Someone in the organization flat out blew their scouting of him. Davidson is the hitting equivalent of Nestor Molina.

At least Santos and Reed have been worth a combined 0.4 career WAR since being traded from the Sox (Santos: 0.0; Reed: 0.4).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 06:49 PM)
I think it is more then that. Even when a player is open to them, it isn't necessarily easy to just change something you have severe muscle memory towards. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You can't take someone and totally recreate their swing. And sometimes you just can't get whatever they are trying to do to work. By and large, most of what they are at that point is set, so the changes tend to be minor. Approaches are something you can absolutely work on though (again, easier said then done).

I think the ability to make changes is a talent in and of itself. Like Chisoxfn says, it's not always quite as simple as desire, even if desire is an important piece of the puzzle. In the brief time I spent around high-level amateurs and college/pro scouts, I remember being surprised and kind of frustrated about what a premium they put into seeing a player adjust and improve. I watched a kid at a recruiting camp enter the thing looking basically like s***, but he so quickly adapted to a few suggestions given by instructors that by the end of the 5-day event there was a crowd around his BP sessions. And it wasn't so much that they were great BP sessions, but that everyone was talking about how quickly he was able to implement meaningful advice.

To make changes, you definitely have to have the desire, which not everyone does. Arrogance would be the biggest factor there. You also have to be smart; you need to understand what you're being told and why it makes sense. You need the type of athletic competence that allows you to feel and notice the intricacies of what you're doing. Some guys are successful because they basically just picked up a bat and were naturally good at hitting. If you do that for the first 20+ years of your life, with only trivial coaching changes throughout, you may have never developed or never had the sense of their own body to make real changes to their mechanics.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 01:05 AM)
Tommy Viola ‏@Tommy_the_V 2h2 hours ago

.@KnightsBaseball's Matt Davidson named Best Defensive 3B in the IL by @BaseballAmerica. #congrats

This is pretty encouraging reviews, especially from BA. Even though he struggles with contact, if he can still bring power and is good defensively, does he a September call up?

That he is named the best defensive 3B player in the IL is a good thing. I don't think the Sox are giving up on Davidson. I also am not convinced the reason he wasn't called up is a decison to go only with Saladino, who has played some good 3B himself.