Immediate reaction to Frazier trade

southsider2k5

Immediate reaction  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Frazier/Montas/Thompson/Johnson deal?

• White Sox win trade
    • Reds/Dodgers win trade

I really like the trade. I think it is a good move and I am not going to lose any sleep over what we gave up.

However, I think this makes improving the OF defense tough, which I think needs to be a priority. I had more or less penciled in a (close to) everyday OF alignment of Eaton-Thompson-Avi / FA pick up. Without Thompson, it goes back to Melky-Eaton-Avi/FA. I think this team really needs two OF....one of Upton/Gordon/Cespedes, and a lesser guy who preferably bats LH if you go with Upton or Cespedes. Someone like Parra or Span who can platoon with Avi, which gets him out of the OF against RHP, and also moves Melky to DH most days which I think is necessary.

vs. RHP

Gordon/Upton/Cespedes (in order of my preference)

Eaton

Parra/Span

DH: Melky

vs. LHP

Gordon/Upton/Cespedes

Eaton

Avi

LaRoche becomes late inning defensive replacement and gets the occasional start against RHP. This is probably unlikely, but I think this is what makes the White Sox a real contender.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
I really like the trade. I think it is a good move and I am not going to lose any sleep over what we gave up.

However, I think this makes improving the OF defense tough, which I think needs to be a priority. I had more or less penciled in a (close to) everyday OF alignment of Eaton-Thompson-Avi / FA pick up. Without Thompson, it goes back to Melky-Eaton-Avi/FA. I think this team really needs two OF....one of Upton/Gordon/Cespedes, and a lesser guy who preferably bats LH if you go with Upton or Cespedes. Someone like Parra or Span who can platoon with Avi, which gets him out of the OF against RHP, and also moves Melky to DH most days which I think is necessary.

vs. RHP

Gordon/Upton/Cespedes (in order of my preference)

Eaton

Parra/Span

vs. LHP

Gordon/Upton/Cespedes

Eaton

Avi

LaRoche becomes late inning defensive replacement and gets the occasional start against RHP. This is probably unlikely, but I think this is what makes the White Sox a real contender.

as you said, there will be alot of options that the manager can employ....

that being said, i see 2 majors holes and a minor one to be address. but as of right now, this has the looking of an exciting team to watch.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is the current value of all those involved. The results-oriented view can be flawed. If the Angels traded Mike Trout tomorrow for some guy drafted in the 37th round, and Trout became crippled in a freak accident the next day, while the 37th rounder became a HOF, that was still a stupid trade.

Lol, riiiiiiiight.

At first, I thought the Sox gave up too much. After getting some perspective, I like it.

I do think this helps the Sox in a big way but I'm like most people here, this move makes sense but would make much more sense with an top notch OF'er on the market.

I'm not going to sit here & say I think this move or another move makes them a playoff contender... Mainly because I thought that last year & this team bombed.

What I will say is, I like the offseason so far but only because I don't think they are done.

Would like to see a big bat in the OF & possible some protection in the SP department.

Also, this move still doesn't stack us up with the Cubs & it really shouldn't matter what they do unless both of these teams end up in the WS against each other.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
My reaction was what is next? I am no prospect lover, but they have to keep going if they are trying to win. They cannot stop here, or they lose the trade. If they do and fall short, whether you love Trayce, Micah, and Montas, hate them or are indifferent, it makes no sense to trade them for a guy who will be around 2 years, if you are going to be a .500 or so team. You need to do whatever you can to get into the playoffs. Now it is about spending some money. Spend it JR. Get the guy that will take you over the top, and melt the doom and gloomers like the Wicked Witch of the West. Then it is a huge White Sox win.

I'll join the chorus of posters who have agreed with this comment.

If the team goes into the season carrying Garcia, Saladino/Sanchez, and LaRoche as everyday players, we aren't going to be good enough. Need that FA outfielder to make this work well, and then Avi could possibly be the platoon bat to pair with LaRoche (with an OPS of .760 last year against lefties). With Danks and LaRoche gone in 2017, that should cover the cost of the corner outfielder.

Wait and see. If Frazier hits 35 home runs and has a glove that isn't Gillaspie-like chances are very very good the Sox win the trade.

Somebody makes a great point on here. We get Frazier two years. So it makes no sense to not try to win it now (even during the Royals' current window). That means Lexi should be signed at ss. He's a playoff caliber shortstop. And add Gordon or Upton (if that is really a possibility?) and this team with its pitching staff is a real contender.

It'd be so much a contender Robin would have to be let go by May 15 if the Sox were six or more games out. But as far as the trade? We'll not know until we see if Frazier mashes on the SouthSide or sucks in the AL like LaRoche/Dunn.

Edited by greg775

White Sox: Got the player they wanted at a more than reasonable price. Win

Dodgers: Traded 2 fringe prospects and a highly regarded IF prospect for 2 less fringey prospects and a well regarded, high upside & risk arm.. Even

Reds: Got a Highly regarded IF prospect and 2 fringe prospects for best IF trade chip on the market.... Fleeced

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 08:45 PM)
At first, I thought the Sox gave up too much. After getting some perspective, I like it.

I do think this helps the Sox in a big way but I'm like most people here, this move makes sense but would make much more sense with an top notch OF'er on the market.

I'm not going to sit here & say I think this move or another move makes them a playoff contender... Mainly because I thought that last year & this team bombed.

What I will say is, I like the offseason so far but only because I don't think they are done.

Would like to see a big bat in the OF & possible some protection in the SP department.

Also, this move still doesn't stack us up with the Cubs & it really shouldn't matter what they do unless both of these teams end up in the WS against each other.

i am with you on this, b/c of last yr, i will refrain from predicting a playoff team again.

but i can see this team having the makings of a fun team to watch.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
I'll join the chorus of posters who have agreed with this comment.

If the team goes into the season carrying Garcia, Saladino/Sanchez, and LaRoche as everyday players, we aren't going to be good enough. Need that FA outfielder to make this work well, and then Avi could possibly be the platoon bat to pair with LaRoche (with an OPS of .760 last year against lefties). With Danks and LaRoche gone in 2017, that should cover the cost of the corner outfielder.

the avi and laroche idea. i like it. it will work.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
My reaction was what is next? I am no prospect lover, but they have to keep going if they are trying to win. They cannot stop here, or they lose the trade. If they do and fall short, whether you love Trayce, Micah, and Montas, hate them or are indifferent, it makes no sense to trade them for a guy who will be around 2 years, if you are going to be a .500 or so team. You need to do whatever you can to get into the playoffs. Now it is about spending some money. Spend it JR. Get the guy that will take you over the top, and melt the doom and gloomers like the Wicked Witch of the West. Then it is a huge White Sox win.
Nice post. Sox need to do more now!

I like this move for the Sox. We acquired two big NL bats befre that didn't match up with the DH role. Dunn did finally start hitting some homers but other offensive categories slipped. Laroche may bounce back in 2016 but who knows. I think those guys just had a tough time adjusting to the DH role. Frazier will play the field where he is an adequate 3B glove. He should have an easier time making the transition to the AL. It was hard to see Thompson and Montas go, but Micah just wasn't going to fit in with this teams needs moving forward. I am not sure this team is done and might be trying to find a taker for Laroche and then get a third outfielder when they move Cabrera to DH. Plus I hope Alexei gets resigned

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Wait and see. If Frazier hits 35 home runs and has a glove that isn't Gillaspie-like chances are very very good the Sox win the trade.

Somebody makes a great point on here. We get Frazier two years. So it makes no sense to not try to win it now (even during the Royals' current window). That means Lexi should be signed at ss. He's a playoff caliber shortstop. And add Gordon or Upton (if that is really a possibility?) and this team with its pitching staff is a real contender.

It'd be so much a contender Robin would have to be let go by May 15 if the Sox were six or more games out. But as far as the trade? We'll not know until we see if Frazier mashes on the SouthSide or sucks in the AL like LaRoche/Dunn.

That is the only way the Sox win the trade? Oh man