2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
Who's the better coach: Fisher or Trestman?

Say what you want about Fisher's extended history of being mediocre, but that guy got to a superbowl.

Trestman's ears are still ringing from those back to back 50 burgers against the Packers and NE

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
The Bears need to make a move at quarterback, but you can't blame them for thinking they would have Cutler a whole season. The administration hasn't tried, but they haven't had to. No one honestly thought Dak Prescott (Dallas' fifth pick in the draft) would be the franchise quarterback to come out of this draft.

I can't blame them for thinking they'd have Cutler for "most" of the season, but anyone who thought Jay Cutler would start 16 games based on his history wasn't doing their job. Furthermore, anyone could see that Jay Cutler's contract allowed the Bears an extremely easy out after this season, and there was a substantial probability they'd use that out if he had anything other than a top flight season.

Similarly, I cannot blame the Bears for missing on Dak Prescott alone. However, I can state that the Bears have had available draft picks when a number of different QBs went. While I couldn't have predicted hitting a late draft pick, I can predict with ease that you have 0 chance of filling the most important position on the field when you do not select one. They should have at least been trying. If they didn't like the 1 or 2 round QBs, fine, they have Cutler, but there was always playing time available behind him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
I can't blame them for thinking they'd have Cutler for "most" of the season, but anyone who thought Jay Cutler would start 16 games based on his history wasn't doing their job. Furthermore, anyone could see that Jay Cutler's contract allowed the Bears an extremely easy out after this season, and there was a substantial probability they'd use that out if he had anything other than a top flight season.

Similarly, I cannot blame the Bears for missing on Dak Prescott alone. However, I can state that the Bears have had available draft picks when a number of different QBs went. While I couldn't have predicted hitting a late draft pick, I can predict with ease that you have 0 chance of filling the most important position on the field when you do not select one. They should have at least been trying. If they didn't like the 1 or 2 round QBs, fine, they have Cutler, but there was always playing time available behind him.

It makes zero sense why Pace has yet to select a QB in two drafts. Even with a late pick, just take a chance on a guy so you have working with the team and maybe you will see something you like.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
It makes zero sense why Pace has yet to select a QB in two drafts. Even with a late pick, just take a chance on a guy so you have working with the team and maybe you will see something you like.

The 1st year I could kind of see why. You aren't sure what you have in Cutler, you try like crazy to move him plus others to get Mariotta, but you can't, and you look at the draft board following it and don't really like anyone (and know you have massive needs everywhere). Last year, was harder to look past, that said, when you think about it again, Cutler was coming off a strong season and I'm sure everyone actually envisioned a higher probability of him being around longer then previous. That said, we did have enough picks where you would have thought we took a QB, but again, I understand trusting your draft board.

This year, I can't see any logical scenario where we ignore the position.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
The 1st year I could kind of see why. You aren't sure what you have in Cutler, you try like crazy to move him plus others to get Mariotta, but you can't, and you look at the draft board following it and don't really like anyone (and know you have massive needs everywhere). Last year, was harder to look past, that said, when you think about it again, Cutler was coming off a strong season and I'm sure everyone actually envisioned a higher probability of him being around longer then previous. That said, we did have enough picks where you would have thought we took a QB, but again, I understand trusting your draft board.

This year, I can't see any logical scenario where we ignore the position.

Too many positions to fill not named "quarterback" and no good quarterback prospects. And before you say "Dak Prescott", know every team passed on him 4 times, including the Cowboys.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
Too many positions to fill not named "quarterback" and no good quarterback prospects. And before you say "Dak Prescott", know every team passed on him 4 times, including the Cowboys.

That could mean we go the veteran QB route (Romo, for example). If people think we are going to go into next year with Barkley and Hoyer, well, I'd be left speachless at that. By the way, I think if we got rid of Fox, I'd like to hire McDaniels and keep Fangio. I doubt it would work cause you don't want to force a DC on a coach and no one knows how their dynamic might work, but I do like the idea of McDaniels running the show and being our QB guru. I'd also be open to Shanny's son. I'd want an offensive coach and the front office would then need to give big bucks to Vic. Toub is another name that I would probably think long and hard about, as long as he had the clout to bring in the right offensive mind.

The nice thing about the offensive head coach (with a well paid DC) is that you don't run the risk of your offensive system walking out the door in the midst of your QB's development. I think that is a bigger risk then a DC walking out the door.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
That could mean we go the veteran QB route (Romo, for example). If people think we are going to go into next year with Barkley and Hoyer, well, I'd be left speachless at that. By the way, I think if we got rid of Fox, I'd like to hire McDaniels and keep Fangio. I doubt it would work cause you don't want to force a DC on a coach and no one knows how their dynamic might work, but I do like the idea of McDaniels running the show and being our QB guru. I'd also be open to Shanny's son. I'd want an offensive coach and the front office would then need to give big bucks to Vic. Toub is another name that I would probably think long and hard about, as long as he had the clout to bring in the right offensive mind.

The nice thing about the offensive head coach (with a well paid DC) is that you don't run the risk of your offensive system walking out the door in the midst of your QB's development. I think that is a bigger risk then a DC walking out the door.

If you are going the veteran route, I don't know why you wouldn't just bring Cutler back. The cost of cutting him is minimal this offseason and next. There's no one on the open market that can be your long term solution at QB, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't just roll with Cutler for another year.

I don't think there's any way around it though - if the Bears are moving off Cutler, they have to draft a QB early next year (1st or 2nd round) and give them the reins.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 06:43 PM)

No good QB's is bulls*** though. I like this year's class. I think Kizer, Trubisky, Watson are all better than Jared Goff and Mahomes might be as well. There isn't a Jameis or Mariota but I think it's a very solid group.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
If you are going the veteran route, I don't know why you wouldn't just bring Cutler back. The cost of cutting him is minimal this offseason and next. There's no one on the open market that can be your long term solution at QB, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't just roll with Cutler for another year.

I don't think there's any way around it though - if the Bears are moving off Cutler, they have to draft a QB early next year (1st or 2nd round) and give them the reins.

You have to look at it through Fox lenses though. He knows he needs to win next season, and after all the crap that happened this year with Hoyer basically taking the job from Cutler until he broke his arm, I imagine Cutler probably is pretty salty about it because thats how he is. Fox knows someone like Romo is gonna come in and want to show he still has it, and it pretty much fits the mold of what Fox has done over his career, get a seasoned vet(delhomme was basically plug and play, and then there was Manning) who knows what he is doing and let the defense rampage.

I think there is a lot of Cutler fatigue and everyone probably wants to go their own separate ways.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
You have to look at it through Fox lenses though. He knows he needs to win next season, and after all the crap that happened this year with Hoyer basically taking the job from Cutler until he broke his arm, I imagine Cutler probably is pretty salty about it because thats how he is. Fox knows someone like Romo is gonna come in and want to show he still has it, and it pretty much fits the mold of what Fox has done over his career, get a seasoned vet(delhomme was basically plug and play, and then there was Manning) who knows what he is doing and let the defense rampage.

I think there is a lot of Cutler fatigue and everyone probably wants to go their own separate ways.

I just think that's an insanely bad way to go about running this Bears team. Note that I'm not advocating bringing Cutler back - it's more of an argument against bringing in an FA stopgap. If Fox isn't happy with a rookie QB, then maybe Pace needs to part ways with him and bring in somebody who will work through a real rebuild.

Fox has done an excellent job with the defense, but it's not close to being playoff ready or better. There's nobody on the FA market that solidifies the QB position long term. It's time to draft a QB and give them the reins.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
I just think that's an insanely bad way to go about running this Bears team. Note that I'm not advocating bringing Cutler back - it's more of an argument against bringing in an FA stopgap. If Fox isn't happy with a rookie QB, then maybe Pace needs to part ways with him and bring in somebody who will work through a real rebuild.

Fox has done an excellent job with the defense, but it's not close to being playoff ready or better. There's nobody on the FA market that solidifies the QB position long term. It's time to draft a QB and give them the reins.

im not saying it is right or if they are ready to do that, im just saying i think that is what Fox wants to do to preserve his job. And honestly if it is Romo(which seems to be gaining some momentum after Clayton just named the Bears as his #1 most likely destination), you might have your rookie QB starting before the end of the preseason. He is made of glass

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
im not saying it is right or if they are ready to do that, im just saying i think that is what Fox wants to do to preserve his job. And honestly if it is Romo(which seems to be gaining some momentum after Clayton just named the Bears as his #1 most likely destination), you might have your rookie QB starting before the end of the preseason. He is made of glass

I actually think playing a young QB preserves your job more than signing a vet. If you draft a QB, you typically get time. If you sign a vet and he's bad, you typically get fired.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
I actually think playing a young QB preserves your job more than signing a vet. If you draft a QB, you typically get time. If you sign a vet and he's bad, you typically get fired.

I agree, i just dont know that Fox has the patience for coaching up a QB right now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
I think it will be Trubinsky.

I hope you are right but I dont know that he falls to the Bears. Right now they have to worry about the Browns, 49ers, and seems like even Jacksonville selecting a QB before the Bears getting a crack. Trubinsky is getting a lot of hype now

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
Trubinsky or Kizer and I'm good. If both go before 4, take best D available and go Mahomes in round 2

Agree with this. Kizer has the highest ceiling. Trubisky has only started 1 season and Watson is being over-analyzed.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Agree with this. Kizer has the highest ceiling. Trubisky has only started 1 season and Watson is being over-analyzed.

DE Jonathan Allen and Patrick Mahomes in the first two rounds would have be gitty.

The DL would be insane.

Hicks (who needs an extension)- Goldman- Allen

Then you still have McPhee, Young and Floyd on the outside. Woof. (I'm assuming Houston is cut)

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
Trubinsky or Kizer and I'm good. If both go before 4, take best D available and go Mahomes in round 2

Have any recent Texas Tech quarterbacks had success in the NFL? A bit cautions about some of these "scheme" QBs in college, where anyone steps in and dominates.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
Have any recent Texas Tech quarterbacks had success in the NFL? A bit cautions about some of these "scheme" QBs in college, where anyone steps in and dominates.

No they haven't. They are usually noodle armed guys though. Mahomes is way different. He's raw and will need to sit but he has the biggest arm in the class.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
A bit cautions about some of these "scheme" QBs in college, where anyone steps in and dominates.

Mariota (and Newton in fact) turned out alright. I'm sceptical about the kid reading certain plays, but his arm is the goods. Probably the strongest in the whole draft.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
I hope you are right but I dont know that he falls to the Bears. Right now they have to worry about the Browns, 49ers, and seems like even Jacksonville selecting a QB before the Bears getting a crack. Trubinsky is getting a lot of hype now

I'd be shocked if the Browns pass on Garrett. And Jags do have Bortles, but I'm not sure how they feel about him.

Edited by SoxAce