2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
They are a fantastic defensive team. I'm not sure that it will matter too much. Bogut seemed more of a cog 2 years ago than last year. Nobody has that center we all keep talking about coming that will destroy small teams. Warriors will continue to be at the very least a top 10 dfensive team because they are well coached and Durant will be a part of that.

The NBA is an ebb-and-flow. I'm sure once more teams adopt small ball there will be a center that comes along to change it backup. KAT could very well be that center.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably in minority but if I was in OKC I'd probably keep westbrook and just hope for the best. I don't care what "Assets" they get back, they will be useless compared to the small minute possibility that the additional money you can provide him next year will be enough to keep him. Whoever gets him will be great, who wants a bunch of late round 1st round picks?

I would have preferred if Durant had gone elsewhere, but the irony of OKC fans whining about having a player of theirs "stolen" has been so awesome. Westbrook is going to leave after next year and that franchise will go into the s***ter. No marquee free agent is going to choose to go live and play in Oklahoma City. It may be petty, but who cares. As a Sonics fan who has never forgiven the league for what they did to Seattle, watching OKC fall into the flames is the next best thing to actually getting a team back.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
I would have preferred if Durant had gone elsewhere, but the irony of OKC fans whining about having a player of theirs "stolen" has been so awesome. Westbrook is going to leave after next year and that franchise will go into the s***ter. No marquee free agent is going to choose to go live and play in Oklahoma City. It may be petty, but who cares. As a Sonics fan who has never forgiven the league for what they did to Seattle, watching OKC fall into the flames is the next best thing to actually getting a team back.

I bet it is. Those people didn't do anything though. It's not the fault of people who live in Oklahoma that Clay Bennett brought them a basketball team. Now, burning jerseys is dumb as hell but Kevin Durant basically just ended their franchise.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
They don't land big fish, but in this league they have to try.

Agree with this. You still have to preserve the space and try. It beats the alternative of giving rotation players $50 million. It's the only choice they have.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)

Glad you posted this angle. I was very happy for Sonics fans yesterday. Came across this on twitter (search "but that's none of my business" if you don't get it):

Mina Kimes ‏@minakimes 21h21 hours ago

there is not enough tea in the planet to satiate seattle sports twitter right now

Matt Ufford @mattufford

.@minakimes the skyline DOES look a little different since the KD news broke

CmixMJ5XEAApszy.jpg

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
I'm probably in minority but if I was in OKC I'd probably keep westbrook and just hope for the best. I don't care what "Assets" they get back, they will be useless compared to the small minute possibility that the additional money you can provide him next year will be enough to keep him. Whoever gets him will be great, who wants a bunch of late round 1st round picks?

It depends on what you are getting. If Boston is offering up Brooklyn's first round picks I think you take it but I agree that there just aren't many teams that are going to have assets that make it worth dealing Westbrook to them rather than just hoping for the best.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
Glad you posted this angle. I was very happy for Sonics fans yesterday. Came across this on twitter (search "but that's none of my business" if you don't get it):

Mina Kimes ‏@minakimes 21h21 hours ago

there is not enough tea in the planet to satiate seattle sports twitter right now

Matt Ufford @mattufford

.@minakimes the skyline DOES look a little different since the KD news broke

CmixMJ5XEAApszy.jpg

Oh man that's cold.

Incredibly deserved, but cold.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
This is how I feel and I am utterly dumbfounded how positively this move was met by bulls fans here:

http://www.blogabull.com/2016/7/5/12096310...g-for-the-bulls

I find it hilarious that the Bulls FO is finally doing what people have wanted them to do for years (realize this isn't a championship roster and blow it up) yet are still ripping them for not doing enough. They can't very well come out and say "we're doing a full on tank job here, bare with us for 2-3 seasons." Instead, they gave the PR spin that they're "retooling." It's amazing they actually told JR they're not going to be the Sox and be in perpetual .500 land for a decade just to appease a small portion of the fanbase.

They've done exactly what i wanted them to do - a whole lot of nothing. Rondo got them to the salary floor and he's a low-risk signing. Look at the beauty of this payroll: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/chicago_bulls/ No bad contracts anywhere. Totally freed up in 2 seasons except for Butler and Lopez.

They weren't winning anything the next few seasons with Lebron and Kyrie in Cleveland, and they're certainly not winning now that Durant is with Golden State. Good for the Bulls for realizing they have no chance. Set yourself up for 2-3 seasons from now. Hope and pray a guy like McDermott finally breaks through or a guy like Grant actually becomes a decent role player. Then surround those guys with high draft picks and hopefully a top FA or two.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
This is how I feel and I am utterly dumbfounded how positively this move was met by bulls fans here:

http://www.blogabull.com/2016/7/5/12096310...g-for-the-bulls

Of all the deals handed out, the Rondo one was about the last deal to complain about. Whiners gonna whine though and the Bulls fan base has turned into tons of whiners. What the hell did people expect this off-season? And I realize Rondo is a relatively selfish player,but he is a good passer and he was just in loserville in Sacremento which could give him a new appreciation for things.

If you ask Kings fans, they generally were pretty positive about Rondo. You know the bad things that come with him, but can also appreciate the fact that he's a very smart player (sometimes too smart to his own detriment in the sense that it results in clashes, etc).

Rondo is not a low-risk signing, he will actively thwart your star player, will stunt development of your new young point guard, and is a locker room cancer for your young coach who has had issues controlling hte locker room.

For all of those reasons it was a horrendous signing. That he got them to the floor is stupid anyways because you don't have to get to the floor, but there were also other players! Players that aren't the most hated in the league that gave up on a team in the playoffs.

It is a horrible horrible stupid idea that is only great in that it could be the catalyst for removing this idiotic front office.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
Of all the deals handed out, the Rondo one was about the last deal to complain about. Whiners gonna whine though and the Bulls fan base has turned into tons of whiners. What the hell did people expect this off-season?

A shovel with a mustache on it would be a better idea for a growing team than Rajon Rondo. Hobbled Brandon Jennings would be a better idea. Actually let me show you all of the players that were better ideas than this p.o.s. that is the worst fit for "Hoiball" since 2015 Derrick Rose:

Etwuan Moore

Sergio Rodriguez

Brandon Jennings

Trey Burke (traded for a 2nd round pick)

Ask for Trade for Deshawn Stevenson post-durant

Deron Williams (1 year 10 million)

Malcolm Delaney

Jeremy Lin

Seth Curry

Then there are all of these players who are better than Rondo in the sense that they would be cheaper, not actively undermine your other players and organization, and are not hated by your entire fanbaase:

http://hoopshype.com/2016/07/04/nba-free-a...6-point-guards/

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
new-debbie-downer-gif-525.gif

You may have wanted to actually pay attention to Rajon Rondo's career to understand that he's not good, and is a horrible cancer to every team he plays.

All you need to know about his 11 assists is told in the fact that the Kings were better with him on the bench.

he also stopped playing defense at the end of his Boston time. I bet Fred Hoiberg gets it out of him though, right guys?

It is only a positive in that he may blow up the locker room, get punched in the face by Paxson, get everyone fired, we end up with Josh Jackson.

In that case, well, he is the best signing of the offseason.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
I bet it is. Those people didn't do anything though. It's not the fault of people who live in Oklahoma that Clay Bennett brought them a basketball team. Now, burning jerseys is dumb as hell but Kevin Durant basically just ended their franchise.

That is true. Although they did celebrate and revel in the fact that they got a team, even though it was at another team's expense. I do enjoy the fact that the owner is getting screwed more, but I don't feel any guilt at all in reveling at their current displeasure either.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
A shovel with a mustache on it would be a better idea for a growing team than Rajon Rondo. Hobbled Brandon Jennings would be a better idea. Actually let me show you all of the players that were better ideas than this p.o.s. that is the worst fit for "Hoiball" since 2015 Derrick Rose:

Etwuan Moore - signed for 4 years, 34 million.

Sergio Rodriguez - a 30 year old who didn't even play in the league last year.

Brandon Jennings - a guy signed to be Rose's back up.

Trey Burke (traded for a 2nd round pick)

Ask for Trade for Deshawn Stevenson post-durant

Deron Williams (1 year 10 million)

Malcolm Delaney

Jeremy Lin

Seth Curry

Then there are all of these players who are better than Rondo in the sense that they would be cheaper, not actively undermine your other players and organization, and are not hated by your entire fanbaase:

http://hoopshype.com/2016/07/04/nba-free-a...6-point-guards/

Etwuan Moore - signed for 4 years, 34 million.

Sergio Rodriguez - a 30 year old who didn't even play in the league last year.

Brandon Jennings - a guy signed to be Rose's back up.

Trey Burke (traded for a 2nd round pick) - i would have been fine with this.

Ask for Trade for Deshawn Stevenson post-durant - who? hasn't he been out of the league for 2-3 years?

Deron Williams (1 year 10 million) - wasn't leaving Dallas.

Malcolm Delaney - euroleague star! We've seen how well that translates

Jeremy Lin - signed for 3 years, 36 million

Seth Curry - yuck.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
You may have wanted to actually pay attention to Rajon Rondo's career to understand that he's not good, and is a horrible cancer to every team he plays.

All you need to know about his 11 assists is told in the fact that the Kings were better with him on the bench.

he also stopped playing defense at the end of his Boston time. I bet Fred Hoiberg gets it out of him though, right guys?

It is only a positive in that he may blow up the locker room, get punched in the face by Paxson, get everyone fired, we end up with Josh Jackson.

No one is saying that it's the greatest move ever, it's just not the worst move ever like you seem to think. They're on the hook for one season. If he's that much of a cancer, they're out very little. The upside is he finds a fit here that he didn't get in Dallas (a very regimented system under Carlisle) or Sacramento (the most dysfunctional franchise in the league).

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

If this year is a complete throwaway, like you seem to think, it's important we put our young players and coach in a position to grow together. You couldn't have picked a worse player than that, aside from possibly seeing what Andrew Bynum is doing.

The point of all of those players above is they are either young, placeholders, or better contracts. I would take Etwuan back 10 times out of 10.

Deshaun should have been Shaun Livingston, was always word vomit with that.

I wanted to see progression under Hoiberg's system. I wanted to see the team run by Jimmy Butler. We won't see that.

We will see

Dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble(avoid driving for open layup), pass, shoot, clank.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)

The other problem is Rondo is good enough to keep the Bulls in double figures range with their draft pick. You either have to be awesome or be terrible. The Bulls chose neither.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
The other problem is Rondo is good enough to keep the Bulls in double figures range with their draft pick. You either have to be awesome or be terrible. The Bulls chose neither.

Right. The Bulls will be better than Jose Calderon in all the wrong ways. Wouldn't it be better to know how a team with Jimmy as it's star plays before putting a ball dominant guard who can't shoot next to him (again)?

So Dwyane Wade is apparently talking to the Cavs about joining up again with LeBron in Cleveland this year. He would have to accept a really small contract to make that happen but wow would this be setting up to be the worst season in NBA history to follow. If you aren't playing for Golden State, San Antonio or Cleveland don't even bother showing up. At least this past year the Clippers and OKC also had a chance. Now you have at most 3 contenders and I'm not even sure the Spurs really can give Golden State a run for their money.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
So Dwyane Wade is apparently talking to the Cavs about joining up again with LeBron in Cleveland this year. He would have to accept a really small contract to make that happen but wow would this be setting up to be the worst season in NBA history to follow. If you aren't playing for Golden State, San Antonio or Cleveland don't even bother showing up. At least this past year the Clippers and OKC also had a chance. Now you have at most 3 contenders and I'm not even sure the Spurs really can give Golden State a run for their money.

Has to be a ploy to get Miami to up their 2 for 40 offer.

Wade is just using leverage, he's very good at it. Dirk signing for 20 mill just set his rate, maybe a bit higher.

Beside...wade isn't that good anymore so I don't know why that would be game over for the league if cavs get him.