Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. Get Cruz in their and I'm down. I'm not too inclined to keep Politte, he was just too streaky, imo. As far as Cruz goes, I think he's on the cusp of really making a name for himself. He's got sick stuff and great numbers at a young age. Damn would I love him on the SouthSide.
  2. I'm assuming he was signed to a minor league deal, ala Elo last year.
  3. The big thing I saw in the receiver core was that while some of them got opened and made some plays, they lacked that veteran expereince to come towards Grossman when he scrambles and what not. A guy like Keenan is just what the doctor ordered. Him, DT, Wade, Gage, Jones, Berrian...I like.
  4. But its also a semi good thing, because teams don't have to worry about being stuck with a long contract. Plus players tend to put up awesome numbers during their contract year. I'd say it be a problem if Konerko was the type of guy who looks for the most money and is all about FA, but he never has given off that kind of attitude. However, if the Sox would rather deal Lee, thats fine too, Gload plays a fine left field and you can add a RF via free agency. Both Lee and Konerko have similiar contracts. Just in my opinion I'd rather have Lee, but I think Konerko is the smarter player.
  5. Supposedly Garner played like absolute crap and they got nothing. As far as Train goes, I'm assuming they'd bring Forsey right back.
  6. I think he averages about 125-135 games in his full seasons, but I don't have the exact numbers. As far as his injuries, I think they were mainly knee injuries.
  7. I'd be all over Kim. I'm still shocked no one has gotten him. BoSox would obviously pay almost all his contract and he's still very young with a live arm and proven sucess. I'd take him as a set up man in a heart beat. I'd of dealt Rauch for him a long time ago (back when the Sox had Rauch) and I bet Boston would of done it in a heartbeat too.
  8. Hell, I thought this was one of my more realistic ones. Only trouble is it means the Sox would sign 3 FA's (starting pitcher, JD Drew, setup man) plus make a trade. We know the Sox make trades, but spending about 20 mill in free agency typically isn't their style. Of course the key is for the Braves to want Konerko and to not do good in the playoffs. Hell, has anyone thought about Jaret Wright? He could come a little cheaper and really seems to be understanding how to pitch. Of course its a risk.
  9. He's had his problems, thats for sure, but give him a few days off and he should be alright, imo.
  10. Drays could if they wanted a power bat, something they could definately use, but unless Pinella can convince ownership to add payroll, it ain't happening. Also, I don't see them giving up a guy like Baldelli for Konerko, considering the cash difference as well. However, if the DRays did it, I'd sure as hell pull the trigger. But its a pipe dream, imo.
  11. I'd have no problem with Beltran, but its gonna be about 6-8 mill a year more and a longer contract. I'm a huge fan of Beltran and if JR is willing to have an 80 Mill payroll, then I'd consider it an option. However, minus the health and not playing CF (hell, I'm more then happy with Rowand in CF), then Drew is a better OBP/offensive player in certain stastics. Beltran the better baserunner and plays defensive outfield. I don't know if 6-8 mill a year is worth it, unless the Sox decide he's the type of guy to go outside the budget for.
  12. Maybe he isn't, but give him September playing all day and lets see. Its not quite a full season, but if he holds strong for the entire month, I'd say its a risk worth taking. You have Konerko at a very high value, plus like I mentioned in my scenario, Everett will probably be here and while I'm not a fan of him starting, him off the bench and potentially first base if Gload flops is a good choice. What I see from Gload is a good, smart hitter, and that alone should make him sucessful in the back of the lineup. Gload has hit everywhere he's gone in the minors and now he's finally getting a legit shot at the major league level. Add JD Drew and replace Timo and everyone else in RF with Gload at 1B and Furcal at SS, Cruz on the pen and all of a sudden I think the team got a heck of a lot better. Of course this could be considered far fetched, but if they move Konerko, they aren't going to not add another bat, they are just going to do it at another position and hopefully a left handed bat. Thomas and Drew, two .400 OBP guys and thats as close to a guarantee as it gets if the two of them are healthy.
  13. ESPN radio reported it. MNF also mentioned that one of the three teams Keenan wants to play for are the Bears. The Bucs need a back and it appears that Atrain would be the player going, but thats more speculation. Also an internet rumor said the score reported it as a done deal, but I don't really buy that. Would be a good pickup.
  14. While Drew is Boras agent, I think he's the type of player thats worth taking the shot on and at least making an offer. .430 OBP, 30 + HR's, .300 Average, 100 + RBI, 1000 + OPS. Thats a serious improvement in the middle of the lineup, plus he provides a left handed bat. On top of that, Maggs was making 14 mill this year and you could probably pay him 4-6 mill less to put up better numbers (potentially). Oh ya, his numbers should go up playing at US Cell half the time, although he had very good home numbers playing in a pitchers park (Atlanta).
  15. Yep, he was released and was absolutely pitiful this season. I'd say Karros is likely done unless he can somehow get his knees where they are semi good as well as his back.
  16. All the best Jim, hopefully Ivan misses ya and that soon enough power will be back on and things will get back to normal.
  17. JD Drew Starting Pitcher (Pavano, Perez, Clement, etc) Quality RH Reliever Rest via trade, imo. Right now the only playres in the minors I see ready to help out at the major league level are relievers and Borchard (who I think will be used off the bench next year). JD Drew flat out replaces Maggs and their is some risk involved, but if he stays healthy, he's SUPERIOR to Maggs in all areas, imo. Better OBP, Better OPS, just as good of speed. Average wise Maggs could be a bit better and defensively they are similar. Oh ya, I don't think their is a chance in hell Drew gets the 14 mill a year Maggs wanted. However, 8-10 Mill and I'm all over the idea of Drew.
  18. Ya, that was funny stuff. Mario told me about that story when I was in chitown. It was a very funny read.
  19. Hey, welcome aboard. I don't know if you were quite saying this, but if you were talking about hindsight and what not, I agree. Personally I won't rip Williams for a deal if I liked it when it happened. I realize its a bad deal, but everyone makes mistakes, they need to suceed more then they fail and in general the sucesses have to outweight the failures to the fact that the Sox make the playoffs and hopefully win the series. Had I seen Bmac's name in there, I would of scoffed at the idea, but I was one of the few people that was very high on Bmac since then. Also, you got to remember, if the deal went through the Sox were going to sign Juan Gone and do some other things if I recall (or at least that was rumored). Too many what ifs, what I do know is the deal wasn't made and thats that.
  20. Ok, lets say you have Cruz/Furcal for Konerko. Now I have no idea if the Braves would do it, but it seems realistic for the most part. The Sox now have: Furcal - 5 mill Rowand - 2 mill JD Drew - Add him (3 Mill Saved in the deal or so) - 8 mill Frank Thomas - 8 mill Carlos Lee - 8 mill Ross Gload - 500K Joe Crede or someone else at 3B/Juan Uribe - 500 K Ben Davis/Jamie Burke/Ryan Hankins - 1 mill Willie Harris/Juan Uribe - 500 K You have a very balanced lineup, one that makes a lot less money. You can deal Crede and pick up some more stuff and get a solid 3B or stick with Crede and have a backup plan if things don't work out. The lineup also has good speed, with the exceptions of Crede and Thomas. Davis isn't fast, but he's solid for a catcher. OBP is awesome with Drew/Thomas and then Rowand/Furcal/Lee should all have above average OBP's (thats assuming they do what they did this year). Crede and Davis will be below average, although Davis has a good eye and Willie should be at average and has a shot to be above average if he gets comfortable, which could definately happen with him at the nine hole. Your lineup has 33.5 million plus bench players and what not. Don't know how accurate my salaries were. Pitching Staff Garcia - 8 Buehrle - 5 Contreras - 6 Odalis Perez/Matt Clement/Carl Pavano/etc - 6 to 9 Jon Garland - 3 Rotation - 31 mill (Thats assuming 9 mill for another starter) Bullpen Shingo - 2 Marte - 2 Cruz - 750 Cotts - 500 Adkins - 500 Sign a good RH setup guy (2.5 mill) Bullpen - Roughly 7 mill; They could carry another reliever in which case Baj/Munoz/Diaz fight for it. Total Payroll = 71 million To me that seems like a pretty fair payroll all things considering. I could be off a little bit, but that rotation would be fantastic and the bullpen should be strong. Marte will be better then he was this year, Shingo should be solid (maybe outstanding), Cruz (good to very good), FA (good to very good), Cotts (good), Adkins (solid back end guy). Lineup should have a good offense and defensively they should be solid as well with Uribe and Hankins on the bench which are two very versatile players, plus Borchard who can play all 3 outfield positions, Burke (versatile) and then Timo. If the Sox want to spend a little more they could and if they did, I would say do it at 3B or the bullpen. If I did it in the pen, I'd sign a closer, move everyone else back. IF anyone wants to mention that this lineup would have less power, your probably right when compared to the one with Maggs/Thomas/Lee/Konerko/Jose. However, Rowand, Lee, Thomas, Drew, Crede should all hit 20 plus homers. Lee/Thomas/Drew should be in the 30 range, which will still give this team good power and Davis/Gload should have 10 plus and Uribe should get his off the bench in a super utility role. You also have guys capable in stolen bases in Furcal, Rowand, Willie. Carlos is decent on the paths, Drew has solid speed (don't know if I'd run him much though). OBP wise, Konerko was good, but Drew is ridiculous (thomas like) with a .430 OBP and a 1.000 Plus OPS this year. The only question is if he stays healthy, cause when he is, he's a hell of a hitter. Heck, he could easily do better then Maggs, imo. I'd offer him up 10 mill, especially if the Sox could insure his contract. Edit: One last thing, I left off Carl Everett, but if you can't trade him, he's a good asset to have. It means payroll is a bit higher and I'd only carry one catcher, which means Hankins is down in AAA waiting. However, Everett is their so Drew can get some time off and I'd teach him first in spring training if Gload proves he's just a reserve. While him and Thomas wouldn't be great at first, it wouldn't be awful either. Plus Everett is a good athlete, he should be able to pick up first. He's also insurance if Frank goes down or what not.
  21. Ouch, thats bad news for him and for the O's. Really good prospect, has #1 stuff, but until he gets his control down, he'll have some problems reaching that potential, imo. Hope he doesn't have the same trouble Rauch/Parque/Siro had after their labrums.
  22. Exactly, plus I remember numerous people ripping Rowand a new one saying how he isn't a starter, well look now. I know its only one year, but he's earned his right to start and next year he could be a really good player. Why can't Gload be? He's done it in limited time, lets see how he does as a starter the final month and then make a call based on that. Hell, I'd much rather deal Frank then Konerko, simply because then the Sox could have a rotating DH and basically not be stuck with just a DH type of guy. To me those type of guys make things a lot more difficult. However, they won't move Thomas because I don't think many teams would give the Sox much, if anything for him. That and losing Maggs and Frank in the same year will piss of most casual fans and of course some diehards (me, as long as you spend the money and improve the team in other ways, I have no problem). However, I want to make one statement. US Cell is a hitters park, so we have to take that into account and the Sox still need to make sure they have guys that can put up enough runs on the board cause their pitchers will have a little higher ERA, simply because the ball leaves the yard more here then a lot of other parks. Its not Coors though.
  23. Not only do you get something good for Konerko, but you potentially give financial flexibility, remove a slower player, and add a left handed bat. Their is no doubting that Konerko is a solid player, but this lineup has had numerous chances. JM had a great pitching staff two years ago, Ozzie had a solid one for part of th e year (not great, but solid). Now its nothing near that, but hell, this offense needs some changes. It scores runs and everything, but it doesn't have enough of a balance, imo. Which is why we have so many all or nothing games. Also, the Sox need better pitching, if your going to do that, you need to start focusing on defense, imo.
  24. I will take this for what its worth, a rumor. The deal was never done and I know a minor league was supposedly going, but their were no mention of names and if I recall their were quite a few reports saying it was one of the AA/AAA guys, and not McCarthy. Whose right, who knows, personally I think Gammons knows it was a name that was floated around, thats it.
  25. Boras is Crede's agent, not Garcia's.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.