Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
How important is this 2 game series with CLE
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2011 -> 05:34 AM) Tampa Bay did it. Another bad comparison (just like other people's comparison to the White Sox of 05). Tampa Bay was an incredibly talented team with numerous top 100, hell, top 50 baseball prospects. Them being good wasn't a shock to anyone. I don't think people thought they'd be that dominant, but everyone knew the talent was there. This Indians team has had a lot of guys that aren't elite prospects or baseball talents turning it on and having career years. Heck, most of there best prospects are either still in the minors or have just recently been called up.
-
Alexei Ramirez, maturing hitter
QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 23, 2011 -> 10:09 AM) Juan is a career 74.6% base stealer, which most saber-knowing folk would say is actually a detriment to his team's success. Most oganizations have realized that stolen bases are not terribly important from the leadoff man. Also, please refresh my memory, why do we want our leadoff hitter bunting, again? I believe newer statistics are going to point that the effective stolen base % will be a lower percentage, especially now that we are entering an era of the pitcher and without PED's, homeruns and overall scoring are dropping. Thus, there is a whole lot more added value in moving the runner over, imo. Really, in this new era (last couple years), the teams that have done the best, are those teams that have good pitching, but combine it with a very fundemental club that plays strong defense and can take the extra bases and slap out runs. Thats not to say that there aren't teams that are great with power, its just that by and large the power is harder to come by in general and with more lower scoring games (and closer games) a teams inability to get the runner over and in can be more costly than in the past. Just my 2 cents.
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 23, 2011 -> 09:51 AM) Noah needs to spend the entire summer working on a post up game. It's maddening to watch him get the ball, with no one defending him, just to see him pass it since he's no threat to score. Noah was shooting well and doing a nice job scoring and looking for offense pre thumb injury. However, the couple months he was out with his thumb seemed to ruin his entire confidence in his mid-range jumper. He needs to take those open shots all day long and pull the Heat defense out to guard him, otherwise, right now, the Heat are packing the paint and daring us to shoot from a-far and we just aren't that type of team, especially when Ronnie Brewer and Noah are out there. I think If I'm the Bulls I make an unorthodox switch and give Taj and Thomas more minutes down low, in fact, I'd probably start Taj. Taj isn't the greatest offensive player in the world, but he'll take those open shots and potentially force Miami to actually guard him. Same with Kurt Thomas (who has a nice mid-range game offensively). At the end of the day, the Bulls biggest problem, there lack of 2 way players, will be what kills them. Rose just can't continue to beat a team with 2 very good help defenders (Wade & LBJ) packing the paint and daring the Bulls to do almost anything. With Brewer in the game, Bulls need to run like crazy. Maybe even go with Brewer and Deng on the court at the same time so you have two guys that can at least slash to the basket. Bulls are just too easy to defend right now.
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 23, 2011 -> 07:52 AM) It's truly amazing how much travelling is allowed in the NBA. The Bulls do it sometimes too, but no one does it as much as LBJ & Wade. There was one play where James took a step, made a jump stop, landed on two feet, and then took two more steps towards the hoop. If that's not travelling , I don't know what is? You mean the one where he stopped dribbling from about the top of the circle (above the free throw line) and ended up with a layup (on 4 steps). I was ready to throw stuff. Bulls need to up the tempo and big time to have a chance. THey just aren't going to be able to win a half court game against this team (at least not on the offensive end against Miami).
-
Financial News
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2011 -> 07:31 AM) I wouldn't sell. You have to understand, there are a number of short term things they can do to cover their debt obligations, if Congress goes into a temporary pattern of inaction. Further, the bonds wouldn't become worthless anyway - the US government may just miss a "payment" of interest for some period, a very short one if at all. If the US government starts actually defaulting on the principal obligation on any significant amount its debt, then frankly, none of this matters, because the entire financial market system begins to collapse and there is no longer a safe haven of any kind. That's the disaster scenario, and it won't occur. Then there are the idiots who are holding and hoarding gold for such an event. This is the silliest thing I can imagine, beyond just the fact that the likelihood of a full collapse is insanely low. Buying gold as an investment vehicle is one thing, it makes sense. Buying and delivering is just patently stupid. If things got so bad that the currency collapsed, the country falls into chaos... and what good does that brick of gold do you anyway? Its not a usable good, so it becomes as empty as paper money, unless you want to build some circuits or jewelry or something. Thats why I buy grain....I figure when the world ends, people will want my closet full of grains!
-
2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread
Leesman is one of the best lefties in the system. Probably more projectable as a reliever than a starter, but the guy has a chance to have a long career.
-
2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread
Congrats to Terry!!!
-
Interesting Trade Possibilities.
I'll just say it. I'd rather have Danks than Grienke if I were New York. Danks seems like he has far thicker skin to handle pitching in New York, plus I think you benefit having strong lefties in New York since from the offensive standpoint lefties have such an advantage with that short porch (and Danks could shut em down).
-
How important is this 2 game series with CLE
By the way. Do you guys realize Garland has put up an ERA plus > 100 in 5 of the last 6 years. Given his durability, thats a pretty damn valuable commodity. While 05 was his best ERA+ of his career, lets not act like the guy has been a turd most of his career.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!
By the way. Do you guys realize Garland has put up an ERA plus > 100 in 5 of the last 6 years. Given his durability, thats a pretty damn valuable commodity.
-
John Lackey
Horrible news. I always have liked Lackey (its the Angel fan in me). Wish him and his wife the best!
-
How important is this 2 game series with CLE
QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2011 -> 08:49 AM) From that team you still have many players playing prominent roles on the Sox and other teams. There were a few flash in the pans in the pen, but outside of that it was a solid team. Every member of that starting rotation is still pitching in the majors. Agreed, Sans Duque, but you can factor in BMac (who was Duque's backup) who when healthy has been nothing but a productive big leaguer (albeit, he's rarely healthy).
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2011 -> 08:48 AM) I love his curve, I just wish he could find a way to get it working before the 3rd inning or so. He was great last night after the first inning. I don't know if the runs relaxed him, or he just found his stuff, but it worked. The nice thing about Floyd is, even when he isn't on, he seems like he's really learned to battle and work his way until he eventually can find his release point and get outs and make some headway. Of course I'm saying this after he had a couple rough outings (which I'm going to chalk up to the ball hitting him). I still think this kid is going to have a couple seasons where he just has it all together for an entire season and puts down 20 wins. I love me some Gavy! And I'm such a Gavy homer!
-
Last 12 Games - SOX are 9-3
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2011 -> 05:58 AM) Need to keep that up this weekend. Esp at home, where we've struggled so much. Dodgers aren't going to be easy, but they are struggling, and the Sox need to capitalize. They have some solid pitching and well quite frankly, we've been relying on perfect pitching for a long time. Sooner or later this offense is going to have to hit cause these pitchers are going to hit a rough patch. Especially since Texas is going to be pretty rejuvenated. Looks like Cruz and Hamilton will be back for our series against them.
-
Last 12 Games - SOX are 9-3
QUOTE (Real @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:50 PM) and 10 back in the loss column. that's how bad it was for this team to start the season like they did. they just took two straight from cleveland, and won 9 of the last 12, and we're still 10 back in the loss column. Cleveland is also on pace to win more games than pretty much anyteam over the last 10 years and we know that isn't going to happen.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!
QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2011 -> 07:11 AM) I also liked Gavin hitting 93 late in the game out of the stretch. He made Adam Everett looked horrendous twice in the game. Was beautiful to watch. Gavy is so fun when he has it working. He has such a good arsenal of pitchers, between his FB, Curve, and Change (which is just nasty when its on).
-
2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread
Sinkerballers historically are worse pitchers early in games and on extended rest. They do better when there arm is a bit fatigued as they don't overthrow and as a result get much better downward sink on there pitches. When they are rested, they'll start to elevate the ball.
-
How important is this 2 game series with CLE
QUOTE (gatnom @ May 20, 2011 -> 06:22 AM) Pretty much the entire pitching staff minus Garcia and El Duque had flukish years, and then they got hot at the right time in order to win a world series. I'm not trying to take away from what they accomplished, though. I'm just trying to say that one shouldn't count out a team because they don't appear to be talented. That right there is 2/5ths of the rotation and I'm not buying it. Buehrle didn't have a flukish year. If you want to say Garland did, thats fine, but Garland outside of a first 6 to 8 bad starts was more dominant in 2006 (just look at the splits, once Garland started pitching, he took his ERA down). Contreras was nasty and that nastiness lasted as long as his back held up. Once his back went to crap, he went back to being mediocre. But post all star break, I couldn't think of a pitcher who had better stuff that year than Jose Contreras. Guy was unhittable.
-
How important is this 2 game series with CLE
QUOTE (gatnom @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:38 AM) I have five words for you: two, thousand, five, White, and Sox. I'm not saying; I'm just saying. And I don't get this. Just cause some idiots at baseball prospectuses projected us to suck, didn't mean the rest of the league did. I know I thought on paper, entering that season, we had an awesome chance at making some noise and considered ourselves a favorite for the division. For pete sakes, the Sox have been favorites for the majority of the decade by most of the analysts in the know. Sadly, they haven't lived up to that status too often. But this BS about comparing this years Cleveland team to the 2005 White Sox has to stop. It is a baseless argument.
-
Sox to recognize two studs in Dodger series
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2011 -> 05:25 AM) Have Garland/Uribe not frequented the Cell since '05? What are they going to do? Announce their names and all 275 fans do the slow clap? Stupid. Edit: I obviously meant since they left the Sox. Garland spent a long time in Chicago and was a quality pitcher with the White Sox and helped us gain a World Series trophy. Uribe made two of the best plays in the 9th inning of the final game of the world series, including making the final out. They deserve to be recognized. I'd imagine Garland was in Chicago before (with the angels) but this might be Uribe's first time back.
-
Who is the oldest Soxtalk poster?
I built the forum at 17 and have broke it off and on over the years.
-
2010-2011 NBA Thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:14 AM) Then that's going to be a problem. He needs to be out there to stretch the floor. Miami is too good defensively. Plus he can easily match up with Mike Miller (or Bibby). Bulls just have to find a solid way of handling the pick and roll/switch scenarios. And on the flip side, Bulls really need to take advantage switching Miller onto Rose when he's on the court.
-
2011 TV Thread
10 pounds adds 10 pounds, haha.
-
2011 TV Thread
At her height, 145 is a pretty good amount of weight. Isn't she under 5ft? For pete sake, I'm 6ft and weigh between 160 and 165.
-
2011 TV Thread
Wow, that 2nd photo is horrible.