Everything posted by Balta1701
-
Quick History Question
Here's a wikipedia list of various muckraking authors. I'm not sure any of them fit your description.
-
Miguel Cabrera got drunk with Sox players Friday night?
QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 02:52 PM) Whoa, let's not paint the guy as an alcoholic now. He's 26, makes 8 figures, and plays professional baseball for a living. You're bound to get into a little trouble now and again with that combination of circumstances...but we have nowhere near enough information to brand the guy an alcoholic... I'm not saying he is, I'm attempting to use a reasonable metaphor. I'm just saying, if the guy already has a problem, and you're the one encouraging it, yes, that guy has a problem, but you're still a scumbag for encouraging it.
-
Miguel Cabrera got drunk with Sox players Friday night?
QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 02:27 PM) Nah... I don't think so. With the additional info that has come out, it appears Cabrera has some personal issues causing the problem. Unhappy marriage, etc. Even with that report...put it this way...do you want to be the guy buying more drinks for an alcoholic?
-
Fitting Ending to 2009 Season
QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 02:16 PM) And I don't hate Rios, either. I don't. I hate what my own eyes saw of him this season. I have said a million times he gets a clean slate. He's 0-for-0 now. But many aren't giving Dye close to a clean slate. Be happy to say to JD "start fresh this april" if he was resigned...but I've seen enough of his defense to only be willing to say that if he was in the DH slot.
-
Miguel Cabrera got drunk with Sox players Friday night?
I wonder, if guys from our team were somehow encouraging this...whether that might reflect badly around the league on our guys
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Kids, don't worry, we're working on it.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Hell hath a special place reserved for those that alter the DNA of random things...
-
Rogers suggests trading for Fielder
QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:31 PM) You're missing your true GM calling, Balta. Bah, not exactly. The Nats probably wouldn't go for that deal, because they'd be losing money in the short term by losing a marketable player. They ought to push hard for Hudson. But if I were them and all I cared about was building a winning franchise, I'd send my scouts out and try to get 3 upper level minor league players for him, at least 1 of which was a current starting pitcher. If I were the Sox, I'd start with an offer of those 2, and then try to add in something else as a sweetener after they pushed back. they could have Fields, but they'd need to put him at 1b since they have a decent 3b; that really doesn't help them. They might have interest in Link or Nunez, but that's why you rely on scouts; if you think either of those guys could take over your closer's spot, steal them. Edit: of course, that all depends on what a scout thinks of someone like Ely also. I'm still not quite sure what to make of him. But if I'm the Nats, if I think he can be a #3 level starter in the bigs, that's what I want to shoot for.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Call me whatever you like honey.
-
Rogers suggests trading for Fielder
QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:25 PM) I'd sooner package Floyd to the Nats for Dunn. Floyd might like pitching near his home (Baltimore). For a guy on a 1 year deal, giving up a pitcher signed for multiple years? No thanks. Fair value for Dunn right now would IMO be something like Ely + Rutherford, 2 guys from the upper levels of our system who would be better than 2 random draft picks but who haven't yet proven anything in the bigs.
- Alphabetical Conversation Thread
-
Rogers suggests trading for Fielder
QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:21 PM) I'm not denying your points. I'm just looking for ways to make a trade happen, but honestly I don't see it. On that, I agree...although pulling off trades that we don't expect is exactly what our GM is really good at.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Yeah, but you may still have a shot at it.
-
Rogers suggests trading for Fielder
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:16 PM) The AL Central let me try asking this another way. The Cubs went 83-78 this year. The White Sox went 78-83. Where would the White Sox's record have been in your opinion in the NL Central? Would that have been worth 5 more games?
-
Rogers suggests trading for Fielder
QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:14 PM) ...and Fielder is - an nonathletic-looking, soon to be DH - due for a giant Boras payday who is stuck in the NL. But...Milwaukee doesn't have to trade him unless they're under severe salary constraints (And if they are, why are they spending $8 million on a closer?). 2 years of additional shots at the NL Central/Wild Card + 2 draft picks is a hell of a lot more valuable than the offer you gave.
-
Rogers suggests trading for Fielder
QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:07 PM) Why not? Those guys are young vets. They'd help the staff and 1B opening. Milwaukee's issue is that they have too many young guys. Fields is essentially worthless and equivalent talent can be found on the DFA market. Jenks is a bill and they just resigned hoffman to close today. The only guy worth anything they're getting there is Floyd.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Well then. Giddyup.
-
Miguel Cabrera got drunk with Sox players Friday night?
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:05 PM) Its actually the guys that are coming back. Ordonez is now an $18 million slap hitter, and your top player seems to completely not give a s***. On the other hand...they're going to have a top 3 of Verlander, Jackson, Porcello, they're still going to have Granderson, and whether or not Cabrera cares he's still going to hit .300+ and hit 30 some home runs and drive in 100 runs. Inge will still be there to kill us, Losing Polonco will probably hurt but then they may also get Zumaya back.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Uh-huh, yeah.
-
Miguel Cabrera got drunk with Sox players Friday night?
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:01 PM) Damn, the Tigers are going to be a trainwreck in 2010 if they don't do something in this playoff game. How so? Are they losing some key player? Their clubhouse might be, but that's Leyland's job.
-
Rogers suggests trading for Fielder
QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:02 PM) Floyd, Fields, Jenks for Fielder. Two years of Fielder is worth the loss of those three. I can't believe the Brewers would take that.
-
Rogers suggests trading for Fielder
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 12:43 PM) We played in the worst division in baseball and came up with a worse record than the Cubs. I fail to see how we were obviously better. I could only imagine our record if we faced the Cards 18 times. Or if we faced the Pirates, Astros, and Reds 18 times as well. We were the worst division in baseball...relative to the other 2 in our league. The AL Central went 45-43 against the NL this year. And that was with Cleveland tying for the worst Interleague record out there of any team.
-
Letterman claims extortion, admits relations with staff members
QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 12:43 PM) Imagine the media firestorm had this been Glen Beck. Actually, I can imagine exactly what that would have entailed. An out of court settlement and a bunch of late night jokes for years, which is probably what will come of this. You know who I can come up with that picture? Because it's happened before, on the same network. The word "Falafel" was never as funny beforehand.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Note - deliberately didn't use the exact quote. Can't tell if I fooled you or not.
-
Alphabetical Conversation Thread
Let your imagination run wild and free.