Everything posted by kev211
-
Video Game Catch-All Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:05 PM) Yikes. Halo 2 online multiplayer was better. False. And its better then being addicted to drugs?
-
Fall of '09 television thread
Fringe is probably the greatest show on television right now. Until Lost starts up again.
-
Video Game Catch-All Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 10:08 AM) So anyway. Modern Warfare 2 was a fun single player campaign, albeit incredibly short. The final scene was a blast. The online certainly is nothing special, and this game was way overhyped. Are you kidding me? The online play is absolutely amazing I've never been more addicted to something in my life it's so much fun. It makes CoD4 look like a child's game. The Campaign was short and great, and special ops is hours of fun with another person. Definitely not over hyped.
-
People Good at Probability and Statistics
QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Nov 19, 2009 -> 03:53 PM) Thanks - this is the questions word by word The mean ACT score for 43 male high school students is 21 and the standard deviation is 5. The mean ACT score for 56 female high school students is 20.8 and the standard deviation is 4.7. At the 1% level, can you reject the claim that male and female high school students have equal ACT scores? They are asking for.... H(sub 0): H(sub 0): P: Value Decision: (Reject or Fail to Reject). There is (significant or insignificant) evidence to reject the claim Maybe, that is why I can't figure it out - is it even possible? Literally I just learned how to do this like the last few days in my stats class. I don't know what they mean H(sub 0) but I'm assuming its H(sub o) and H(sub a) Ho: X1=X2 Ha: X1=/=X2 Sample 1: (Male) N1= 43 X1= 21 S1=5 Sample 2: (Female) N1= 56 X1=20.8 S2=1.8 Alpha = .01 Using P-Value Finding the test Statistic Z = (X1-X2)/SQRT(S1^2/N1+S2^2/N2) Z=(21-20.8)/SQRT(5^2/43+1.8^2/56) Z=(.2)/SQRT(.58139+.05785) Z=(.2)/SQRT(.63925) z=0.25 P(Z>0.25) Looking at the table we fine the area to the right of Z = 0.25 to = .4013 Pvalue = .4013 Since its a two-tailed test double it Pvalue = .8026 Since Alpha .01(signifigance level) is less then the P-Value of .8026 you fail to reject the claim that there is a difference of scores between males and females. I just learned this so I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right so maybe someone can check over my work.
-
People Good at Probability and Statistics
Yep I'll give this a go. Just learned this in my stats class.
-
LOST!!!!
QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 16, 2009 -> 09:20 PM) I won't be getting Season 5 on DVD til Christmas. I will probably just watch those again before S6 62 days seems so far away
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:46 PM) None of this changes the fact that the ISU/Illinois argument is boring and annoying to read. It's been gone over fifty times using the same arguments back and forth, and it's really tiring to see it happen again and again. I do understand that mid-majors have a tough time scheduling matchups with big schools, and that sucks. But look at it from a big schools perspective. If they play a mid-major on the road and lose, they take a serious blow to any tournament hopes they may have. If they play them and win, no one cares about it. With this in mind, why would a big school ever play a mid-major on the road, especially when they can schedule them for a game at home and actually make some real revenue? The system sucks for mid-majors, sure. But that's no reason to have the same stupid ISU/Illinois argument that no one cares about all over again. The only way to fix this is if the selection committee realizes that a lose on the road to a mid-major is not a bad lose.
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:30 PM) yes no. I went to SIU, I care. Rowand, Sonik, Brian, they care. Kev, shoe, they care. Just because the team is classified mid major doesnt mean nobody cares. We are the team struggling for notoriety, for exposure, and wanting it doesnt make it wrong. You guys get it without asking for it, so it doesnt make sense to you, I get that. But we do care, we want to the same thing you have. The way kev presented it, I was giving him a hard time about it because SIUE isnt the team I would be quoting(and because he is an ISU fan ), but I totally understand what he was saying. I was saying the same thing a few years ago when SIU went to the sweet 16 and had a chance to play Illinois in round 2(but Illinois lost to Va Tech, which SIU manhandled), just saying "we can beat this team". We just want a chance to go out and play the big teams without that throwaway 2nd game in the contract(which the major schools always buy out). Great Post
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 04:07 PM) And we're just trying to show you that there's a HUGE disparity in talent level there which you apparently just want to ignore. Do you really believe that ISU would win 1 out of every 4 games played? That's ludicrous. And he refuses to schedule those teams for two reasons (neither of which involve a fear of losing): (1) there's ZERO incentive to playing ISU or SIU. None. They win and it gives them nothing, but if they lose, it's a big negative mark on their ranking at the end of the year; (2) More importantly, with the pre season tourneys, the big/ten challenge, etc, they have very few, if any, open games available, and they want to fill those games at home so they can make some $$. Going to ISU or SIU COSTS them money. Here's an article that just came out today about Webers thoughts on this topic: http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/...ame-vs-siu.html And that is what is messed up with the NCAA. How the hell are Mid-Majors supposed to get into the tournament because the main argument right now is who did you beat if no one will play you? It's basically gotten to the point where you have to win your conference tourney to get into the tournament. And the 2nd point is just Weber's excuse. Since getting to U of I he has played 3 MVC teams ISU, BU, and WSU. He barely won all 3 of those games so trust me he knows the MVC isn't a joke conference.
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 07:40 AM) Um, OK? Who cares what Lennox Forrester (who the f*** is that anyway? Never heard of him in my life) says after playing both teams one time this damn early in the season? Nick Smith would seem physical to them compared to the competition they usually faced. And 1% is wrong. I'm thinking .001. If I had to guess I'd say Lennox Forrester knows a lot more about College Basketball then you.
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 17, 2009 -> 08:21 AM) lol I'm not even an Illinois fan, but do you realize how silly this post it? I honestly can't tell when you're being serious or not. I'm just trying to show you guys the talent level isn't as lopsided as you think, and you all think that ISU would lose no matter what if they played Illinois when it's not the case. Like I said earlier Illinois probably wins 75% of the time because they are a better team there is not denying that. But it's not 99% of the time like a lot of you guys think. Well never know though because Bruce Weber refuses to play in state teams at their place(Because he unlike you guys realizes that ISU upsetting them in normal and SIU upsetting them in Carbondale is not that far fetched), and Tim Jankovich refuses to play any power conference team @ their court without a return game.
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread
A little something to add to the ISU-Illini debate. SIUE coach after playing ISU two days after they played Illinois. "“We fouled their bigs because we couldn’t contain them a lot. We got outmuscled inside,” said SIUE coach Lennox Forrester, a former Bradley and Evansville assistant. “I know Illinois is long and athletic (inside), but I thought Illinois State’s big guys were just as physical or even more physical than Illinois.” Yep 1% chance of ISU beating Illinois sounds about right.
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 01:05 AM) Do you ISU fans like coach Jank? He's excellent. I love Jank, too bad he is too good for us and will eventually move to and succeed at a bigger school. Birds 1-0
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2009 -> 09:32 AM) I don't know if the NFL rule is the same college used, I am a Notre Dame hater and I thought they were hosed, but when you look at it again, the ball was starting to come out before his arm when forward although he still was able to make the ball go forward. I don't know the interpretation of the rule under that circumstance. What I like about the college way is the referee on the field has nothing to do with it except report the finding. Nope, that's what I hate about the college way. The entire system is an absolute joke, and we've seen it many times this year. They need to move it to an NFL system where the coaches get the challenges, and I want no part of a partisan booth deciding what happened on the field. They also need to review the whole indisputable evidence because last night there was not enough evidence to turn that play over. I don't know how the ball managed to go 10 yards forward if Clausen didn't throw it.
-
Fall of '09 television thread
QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 12:04 PM) Am I the only one that had a flashback to LOST's "THrough the Looking Glass" during FLASH FORWARD last night? Simon never said Not Penny's boat? haha No I watched it but I didn't have a flashback what sparked it?
-
Video Game Catch-All Thread
The campaign mode is awesome.
-
Video Game Catch-All Thread
QUOTE (BobDylan @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 02:23 AM) It's a firmware update. Ya it went down for like 3 minutes for everyone I think because I was playing with my friends and it cut off for all of us. I had already updated the firmware.
-
Video Game Catch-All Thread
This game is simply amazing. Online is sick so far, but the PSN just went down so it's campaign time.
- Video Game Catch-All Thread
-
Video Game Catch-All Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 08:57 AM) ...and it's a renter. Not a big online fan apparently?
-
i am drunk in 2009
QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 12:55 AM) I love Everclear also. I think the only drink which always makes me have "stories" or "bad experiences" or really get to me is Jäger. I love Jager ............i had multiple shots of grey goose just now which i think im gunna regret this morning
-
2010 MLB Catch-All Thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:53 PM) So does that mean Lincecum gets a 50 game suspension to start 2010? No Soto didn't get anything irc
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 12:37 PM) If ISU doesn't make the dance this year then good luck in the future. After Osiris is gone they're done, plus SIU and Creighton are only getting better. Good thing it's still this year. But they'll only be down 1-2 years. Our freshman class we have this year is legit so they will be good in 2ish years hopefully, and we have one great commitment already this year.
- "V"
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 11:20 PM) Onto a slightly more relevant ISU, we play three games in Chicago this year.....anyone going to any of them? St. Louis, Northwestern or Notre Dame, and Duke... You finished 10th in the big 12 last year, and ISU only lost to Kansas St. who finished 4th in the big 12 by 4 pts in the last minute @ Kansas St. last year(Iowa St. lost by 15 @KSU). Therefore I'd say your statement is based on nothing.