Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Guillen responds to McCarthy's comments
He's just being honest. No one should be upset with him for saying what he thinks when people ask him a question
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
Tex you don't need (or want) our answers, thoughts, or ideas. You have your mind made up and filled with stereotypes. You have had no desire to debate anything, instead you have pulled out the worse of every commment and used it in the worst possible light. I know you are trying to bait someone into continuing the stuff that was going on before, but it just isn't worth it. I personally have no desire to have anything I say taken and blown into the worst thing possible, all of the while sitting back and nitpicking it to death. There is no "discussion" possible without respect for an opinion different than your own. I tried explaining my opinion 10 different ways to get around the insane interpretations you were making it of, but it just got worse and worse the longer I tried to explain anything to you. To be honest, I don't know that I have ever seen the blood in the water mentality that I saw surrounding this, except for a very few other times on here. It just isn't worth wasting my time and energy discussing something that will get absolutely no where good, and only serve to make me question things on a personal level instead of an issue level. This house has been burned to the ground, no matter how much gasoline you try to pour on it.
-
Sox, 7 others, tried to trade for ARod
It makes total sense to me, the Sox are slashing payroll and keeping all of the money, so they go after the highest paid player in baseball history http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...ex.html?cnn=yes And I'll bet I know who said this...
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 01:20 PM) Well I asked some serious questions regarding what direction the GOP sees in the environment. How happy they are and who are the conservative leaders on the environment. I guess there is some value to conservatives to try and build parallels to Child Molesting Priests and Al Gore Just make sure to not drink the Kool Aid, and don't ask quesitons.
-
Hermie Signs
Hopefully the guy is successful
-
Cuban set to offer 625 mil to buy Cubs
QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:45 AM) I understand, purchase price comes into play and a host of other issues. But it seems that profit isn't the biggest motivator for many owners. I think owning their boyhood team, saving a team for their hometown, is probably a bigger motivator. For that reason, I think you are correct, owning the Pirates is probably more interesting to Cuban then the Cubs. The profit issue may also come into play, but if you look at his running of the Mavs, I doubt he would factor in profits for personal gain, but perhaps profit as a means to reinvest and make the Pirates a contender. Look at what the Mavs were worth before he bought them, and what they are worth today. The guy might eat some money on what he enjoys, but he won't lose money on the investment in full. As a matter of a fact, he could easily double to triple the value of that franchise in a few years time. Then even if he was throwing away money on operations, he would be coming out way ahead anyway.
-
Dice Undisputed
QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 11:40 AM) Id rather watch Scottie Pippen return to the NBA All though both of their best years happened at about the sametime...
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 11:34 AM) Actually Vandy, it was started as two separate threads, in the biased threads. I believe the GOP thread was started to call Gore a douche, at least that was the first post over there, which is fine and why we have those two threads started. After they were merged and anyone tried to move it away from character assassination to the message of the movie, it went back to calling Gore names. Perhaps it was because scientists on the board were defending him and economic and business people were attacking him. Yep, I can't see at all why the conservatives don't want to post in this thread.... Good to see you are staying in line Tex
-
Cuban set to offer 625 mil to buy Cubs
QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 10:02 AM) If you owned either team over a ten or twenty year period, which franchise would offer the best opportunity for the highest profits? Where I am going with this is a bigger question, why do certain owners buy certain teams? I think you were dead on with Pitt as a great possibility because of the home town angle. I think that is a bigger factor than profits for many owners. Others are fans of a sport and want a franchise in that sport regardless of location. If you are talking about year to year profits, its the Cubs. If you are talking about total profits its the Pirates. There are two different things there though.
-
Happy Birthday MurcieOne
BOW DOWN b****ES!!!!
-
American Idol
QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:36 AM) Catfight is a pretty good girl cover band. They sing 80s & 90s rock. They're pretty good. Gina was bawling last night because Leslie from Chicago, who is her room mate at wherever they stay in California for American Idol. Did anyone see where Leslie at the very end said, "why did I scat?" and "America doesn't like jazz." The other girl that got booted was so overcome she stopped singing. AI really needs to do away with the whole, "you're gone, now here's a mic and sing right as you've been crushed." Sooner or later, someone is going to grab the mic and say, "screw you American Idol." Please, please, please stop voting for Sanjaya. It's embarrassing for him. He is basically going to get ripped every week. Yeah, I was going to mention the girls encoure preformances. Both were just bizarre, especially the one who just said f*** it, and did whatever the hell she wanted to do. They cut her off and were into commericial QUICK.
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
Pfft. Let me put it this way. I have a better chance at answering my wife asking "Do these pants make me look fat" than debating this stuff with this crowd again. At least I have a chance of discussion with my wife.
-
6 die in bus accident during storms
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17416735/
-
Cuban set to offer 625 mil to buy Cubs
QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:05 AM) With near perfect management, which team could realize greater profitability, the Cubs or Pirates? I'm thinking merchandising, ticket sales, everything. It depends on what you mean by "profitability".
-
The Al Gore discussion, split from GOP/DEM
No, I think most of the conservatives quit having this conversation, because no one was listening anyways, which is why your "questions" haven't been getting answered.
-
13 kids die at school during tornado
- Stocks and investing thread
QUOTE(mreye @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 06:59 AM) I think I just threw up in my mouth. Have fun and congrats! ^^^ Just don't have too much fun and break a hip or something... And please NO CAMERAS THIS TIME!- Cuban set to offer 625 mil to buy Cubs
QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 03:47 PM) Unrealized value in MLB terms largely means "in need of a new stadium." Current owners are all following Bud's master plan of publicly financed stadiums that double or triple a franchises value, then selling for their profit. Pittsburgh has a brand new stadium considered one of the best in the game. Unrealized value is also found in a team that is drawing about 1/3 of capacity, not selling nearly as much advertising as possible, doesn't have as big of a TV contract as possible etc. You gotta get people interested in the product, no matter how good the place is to see it. No one sees games in Pittsburgh anymore.- Stocks and investing thread
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 02:47 PM) http://biz.yahoo.com/cbsm/070301/1c4cb3d3d...233e824128.html Oh no... a Cubs fan wrote this. Meh, it might well be the beginning of a sell-off by the technical signs aren't there. Yesterday they rallied back, but finished on the lows, which ususally means they are exhausting the "buy the dips" people. The market did open sharply lower, which wasn't a big surprise, but instead of sustaining the selling, the market actually rallied back pretty well, even going green for a while. It looks like we are going to finish in the high end of the range. I would bet tomorrow is a 100 point plus down day, as I doubt anyone will want to carry positions over the weekend, but barring bad news, I would bet on a rally early next week.- Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 01:54 PM) In my mind, your pooch in your avatar is posting this. Then why didn't you give us a Flaxx like response of Boy that sound ruff!- Jesus documentary
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 01:52 PM) Yeah, I know that hurt a Lot. Or at least a Lot's wife. So tell me, how long did Cain hate his brother?? That's right folks, as long as he was Abel. Stick with the classics and you're OK. Now that's just sad...- February Quotes
A reluctant Flax entry from the Jesus documentary thread... QUOTE(longshot7 @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 01:14 PM) I too am VERY skeptical about this - and I'm about as far from a Christian as one can get. The things I've read have said that the inscriptions are incredibly hard to decipher - and the coincidence of the names just seems too easy for me. To whoever questioned the middle class tomb - there is no evidence on either side that can prove how rich or poor Jesus' family was. Take everything in the Bible with a grain of salt unless it can be confirmed in other secular 1st Century sources. The thing that makes me the most mad about this whole thing - is how desperate the filmmakers & some non-Christians seem to disprove Christianity. Since when did someone need EVIDENCE to disprove that someone didn't rise from the dead? Common sense should dictate this. I don't see it changing anyone's minds. Good Christians will have their faith, regardless of what anyone says. Why is either side so desperate for validation? Just respect others' beliefs - why do this just to piss the other side off? What good does that serve? QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 01:29 PM) Unless it's Sodom and Gomorrah stuff from the OT. That you have to take with a pillar of salt.- Jesus documentary
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 01:29 PM) Unless it's Sodom and Gomorrah stuff from the OT. That you have to take with a pillar of salt. Ow- Cuban set to offer 625 mil to buy Cubs
QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 07:31 AM) Let me go on record and say this. If Mark Cuban buys an MLB team, it will be one with a ton of unrealized value it in. He is not going to purchase a team that has topped out in its value. As a matter of a fact, the perfect team to connect him to would be the Pirates. They are run down, low budget, and cheap. If he were to go in there and work his magic like he did with the Mavs (I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember how low Dallas was back then) he could easily double to triple the value of his hometown baseball franchise. He would be a hero there. QUOTE(That funky motion @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 11:36 AM) I believe he is from Pittsburgh also. QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 12:27 PM) I will second that, i believe you're right. I'll first that!- Ring of online steroid suppliers busted
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 1, 2007 -> 10:40 AM) I believe you're right that a behavior clause is sort of a standard out built into almost every contract, but I think it's also worth noting that the Yankees would have had a similar clause for Giambi, and despite the size of his contract and the 1.5 years or so worth of complete suckiness related to coming off of the steroids, it seems they didn't think they had a strong enough case to use it. In the cases of "good" players, its not worth it to the teams to use it. Also they didn't have the 100% proof of an arrest, guilty plea, positive test, etc to give them an open and shut case for Giambi. - Stocks and investing thread