Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
More bad vibes regarding Brian Anderson
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 11:58 AM) I'm never wrong. If he's moved, something was indeed up. We've been so willing to bring up guys like Crede and Rowand to let them develop at their own pace, more or less - more than one season as well. There has to be something that we don't know about. Exactly. When the Sox believe in a kid, they go out of their way to try to give them every chance to catch on. Geesh, how long did we suffer through a mediocre Jon Garland and Kip Wells before the Sox finally gave up on them? The only talented guys the Sox give up on quickly are guys where something else is going on. I guess I thought there was more "win now" stuff going on last year after the World Series, but if they are already trying to move the kid, while making a spot for Brandon McCarthy, who suffered through the same odd usages last year, that tells me something about Anderson pissed off someone pretty important within the Sox organization.
-
Stocks and investing thread
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 11:49 AM) I hope the GOP pubs the hell out of this. Its some good news that could maybe help them retain control of at least one of the house/senate. :prays It ought to be interesting to see how stocks react to this election. I would be willing to bet if the Dems win both houses of Congress, we have seen the highs in stocks for a while.
-
Stocks and investing thread
QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:55 AM) They both show a 4.4% unemployment rate. Looking back on this, there are a couple of things worth noticing. First of all the 92K number comes from "nonfarm payrolls". The second number which you are looking at is "total employment", which does include everything. Those in no way have to be the samething, and in fact with it being harvest time in the midwest, could be hugely different because of the temporary jobs associated with this time of year. I also don't see a distinction being made to include the extra 140,000 jobs which were revised upward from the Aug/Sept payroll numbers.
-
2006 Congressional Elections Thread
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:54 AM) If nothing else, hopefully the Dems will get rid of some of the outrageous maneuvers the GOP has pulled the past few years. Keeping bills open forever in order to coerce their own party into voting their way (the Medicare insurance company bailout bill being the prime example), holding votes in the middle of the night, absolutely destroying bills in conference committee and making sure that the Dems have no say in conference whatsoever, preventing any and all investigations, etc. Somehow I doubt it though, each successive majority seems to set new standards for low-level behavior when they control how the House is run...the Repub majority formed in part because the Repubs complained about the Dems tactics in the early 90's, like keeping votes open for too long, then they did the same thing and took it about 5 steps farther. I bet there will be enough people who decide to "Give the GOP a taste of their own parliamentary practices" that it'll look just as bad in the House. And I am quite positive when it happens, we will hear "well the republicians did it first..."
-
Stocks and investing thread
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:46 AM) The Household survey, which is the one the unemployment rate (4.4%) is based off of. Here's the data. Seasonally adjusted numbers...the labor force increased by 199,000 september to October. 238,000 people who were previously unemployed found employment, which, combined with the 199,000 increase in labor force, led to an increase of 437,000 jobs. That is the number of jobs that the survey recorded, and that is why the unemployment rate declined by .2%. I simply can't see how those 2 surveys can possibly both be showing me the same thing - one shows an increase of 93,000 jobs, the other shows a .2% drop in unemployment because of an increase of 437,000 in employment over the previous month. I may also have to cut this debate short, as I'm heading off to Owens' Valley here in a little while. They both show a 4.4% unemployment rate.
-
Intellipedia for US spys
QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:42 AM) That's the same Trib that endorsed the President in 2000 and 2004, right? Yeah, and? The point was the US screwed up by giving by away nuclear secrets because they don't know how to handle their info on-line... What does that have to do with who the Trib endorsed for President?
-
Stocks and investing thread
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:22 AM) No, what's not possible is that we created 93,000 jobs in October and 437,000 jobs in October depending on which survey you look at. Which survey said 437,000? The main one traders follow said only 92K plus the upward revisions of August and Sept.
-
Intellipedia for US spys
And of course the headline today in the Trib is about the US putting too much information on-lkine and possibly helping Iran along in the Nuke program...
-
Stocks and investing thread
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 09:49 AM) And yet those monthly job numbers are barely enough to keep up with population growth. Those 2 surveys are showing totally different things at this point. The household survey shows a seasonally adjusted increase in employment of 437,000 between September and October, while the other (larger and generally considered to be more accurate) survey only showed a 92,000 increase. Something is dreadfully wrong with one of those 2 numbers. They're not even close. Of course it isn't... I mean we can't possibly be creating jobs and raising tax revenues after a tax decrease... that just isn't possible!?!?!?
-
For Dems only.
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:06 AM) Since the GOP only thread has joined in the Pelosi-bashing, I think this has become a Worthy piece to post. Posting someones voting record is now "bashing"?
-
Stocks and investing thread
Unemployment is at its lowest rates in 5 1/2 years http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews....=rss&rpc=23
-
For GOP only
Are you ready for Nancy? http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20061...90358-9812r.htm
-
More bad vibes regarding Brian Anderson
Well that's it. There is something going on with Anderson in the clubhouse that we haven't been told yet. Either #1, he's lazy, or #2, he's a complete jackass and pissed off his whole team, or #3 a (the D-angelo Jimenez as I like to call it) combination of both I mean think about it, the Sox were willing to put a guy out there all of the time who self-admitedly could not play CF over Brian. I have no doubts something extra is going on there...
-
Intellipedia for US spys
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 10:13 PM) Forget the translation, damn I need the new Firefox with the built in spellcheck! That's the fun thing about big and technical words... who the hell will know if they are spelled wrong in the first place???
-
Intellipedia for US spys
I just can't wait until it gets hacked and made public.
-
The Office
The Duani song was second funniest only to the gaydar.
-
LOST! thread
I don't know if anyone frequents the easter egg blog for pics, but here is a good still of the man in the other hatch.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 12:11 PM) why are you thinking about what's in my pants? Don't worry, it was a quick thought.
-
Straight Ticket Voting
I never have, and I never will. If I was thinking about voting along straight party lines, I would rather stay home.
-
First time in 520+ years
Damn and I thought this would be a thread about Tex's sexlife...
-
Let's Rekindle the Crawford Talks
I see lots of money talk, so I am curious exactly where people are thinking the Sox 2007 payroll is going to settle out?
-
For Dems only.
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 12:35 PM) So, I'm not yet sure whether or not this is a big deal, but it's probably worth noting. A little over a week ago, a U.S. soldier was kidnapped somewhere in Iraq. The U.S. military responded by basically closing off Sadr city, the Shi'ite slums in Baghdad controlled by the Madhi army. The U.S. held that area basically under seige for a week, undertaking searches, keeping the Madhi Army indoors (which may have allowed a few large bombs to go off in that area), and so on. Well, yesterday, Iraqi P.M. Maliki finally got fed up and ordered the U.S. to remove the checkpoints and the blockade. And, without having found the captured soldier (or the other death squad leader they were reportedly looking for) the U.S. agreed and lifted the seige. So, again, I'm not sure at all that it's the wrong thing to do to lift the seige, but if the U.S. genuinely believes that a captured U.S. soldier is being held somewhere in that area, didn't we just cede control over U.S. security and forces to another country? Full WaPo link. Israel has been taken to the matt for closing off areas when their soldiers were kidnapped or when they were attacked from those areas, and now its a bad thing when we don't do the samething? I can understand believing in one way or the other, but pick a side and stay with it, please. Either its OK to hold an area hostage looking for your troops or its not.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 10:22 AM) in all fairness.... the WMD was found.... IN MY PANTS! Why am I suddenly reminded of Kim Jung Il's dud nuclear test?
-
LOST! thread
I heard someone mention the black smoke as a representation of the black angel of death. Anyways, not a bad episode again. I love the scenes back and forth between Jack and Ben with the surgery, and then the other girl comes back in with the video asking him to kill Ben "accidentally". Damn, that was something else.
-
Study hard, or you will be dumb,
OK the one thing that bugs me about this arguement is if John Kerry is traveling around the country speaking on behalf of the canditates why wouldn't we listen to him? Is he all of the sudden not a representative of his party? If that is the case, why doesn't he and anyone who isn't "running for office" just stay home, because their words don't matter anyway. I mean everyone was all but willing to jump all up into Rush's s*** when he said what he did about Michael J Fox, and I didn't hear anyone saying that it doesn't really matter, because even less then a Junior Senator and former Presidential canditate nominee, he is only a TV/radio personality, so what does it really matter? Now everyone wants to debate "the issues"? Please.