Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/09/05/oj.simpson/index.html
  2. QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:57 AM) Well then, by your logic, they would have to spend exactally what they earned in income to the penny, or risk a profit, or dipping into the assets. I doubt that they spend to the penny what they earn, and at least with the Ford Foundation, they can't touch the base, so if even one dollar is left over, it shows a profit. I am also going to stop arguing this with you, as it is pointless, and has drifted far from the minimum wage issue this started out to be. Maybe next time the United Way chairman rtakes trips to Europe with young women on charity money, or the some other foundation chair buys himself a $250,000 desk, we can start this part up again. Sorry EM, its not my "logic", its called GAAP. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Not making a profit is a bit of misnomer if you are trying to take it down the penny. NFPs are allowed to take in more than they spend in a year, to a reasonable extent, but they aren't allowed to keep it. That money would get rolled up into the next years budget. I am pretty sure that I can get some of the people like Kap or Steff, who deal with this way more often on a daily basis, to back me up on this. Now if you want to start talking about waste and fraud at NFPs again, that is a completely different story.
  3. QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:16 AM) France isn't even mentioned, the thread title is misleading . . . Now that you know it's Britian, Germany, and Spain, does that change your opinion? Only one surprises me, and that is only mildly. Pretty much the rest of the world does not agree with Israel, for whatever reason. All you have to do is look at all of the UN votes where it is the rest of the world on one side, and the US and Israel alone on the other side.
  4. QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 08:31 AM) ss2k, how do you not see that in the Ford Foundation case, that they made a profit? If they didn't make money, they would be broke, since they don't take in outside contributions. The interest earned on their endowment is income. They make money, and spend less than they make, which is why the foundation's assets keep growing. Again, Seems like from that sentance, they spend $500 million per year, and have assets over $10 billion. I am sure the stock value when Ford started the Foundation was no where near that level, so it has surely grown over the years. Yes, it started with an 'endowment', but it makes money by the interest INCOME from that endowment. I understand how to read an income statement, thank you. Maybe I am not explaining this very well, let me try again. What they list as "assets" are their endowment. You do not spend an endowment, you invest it, and what you make off of that is what is spent. Usually an endowment is invested fairly conservatively, so as to not deteriorate the bottom line. Just by eyeballing the figures, 5% of $10 billion is $500 million, which looks to me to be right in line with what you should expect to be making off of interest based investments such as bills, bonds, or notes right now. Those numbers are actually rock solid that they are NOT in fact making a profit.
  5. QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:13 PM) The best pitcher minus one inning left out that one inning tonight... if that makes sense. Nice to see him do good, but I would like him to do this more often. More realistically, eliminate that one bad inning. We will see, I'm sure as hell not going to praise him for one great outing. Why not, everyone seems to want to flip out after a bad preformance by a player, I see nothing wrong with giving someone their due when they deserve it. Vazquez went out and gave up one run on three hits against the full strength Boston squad, while getting 11 strikeouts. To me that saids it all.
  6. I just loved the spark that he played with last night. As dull as the play was last night, he really stood out, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few starts in a row, just as an example of the type of play we need right now.
  7. So now we are slowly seeing the injuries creep out of this team... It explains a lot. Just watching the team over the last few months I think a lot of guys have been playing through a lot of pain, and it is just now seeing the light of day with the media.
  8. southsider2k5 replied to mreye's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 03:54 PM) I would be more willing to take it from a ninja then most people, if nothing else for fear for my life. You must mean these guys http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm
  9. QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 05:11 PM) Why not? If they MADE the money that they then spend on expansion, etc, it was PROFIT. Just because they take the profit and use it to further their cause does not mnake it any less of a profit. Big religion is a not-for-profit 'corporation', and I do believe that they make a profit. Otherwise, how could to afford to pay off all priest-abused kids? They take in more than they spend (usually), and some have investments, property holding and other things to help fund their activities. At the end of the day, if they have more than they spent, they made a profit. Yes, there are MANY that do not make profits, nor do they seek to do so such as the Red Cross and Better Business Bureau, but there are alot that do make money. Most 'foundations' were started with a grant or a trust set up to provide continual funding for the organization. The Ford Foundation was set up with Ford Co. stock and is partially funded by the profits from the stock and other investments the foundation makes. http://www.discoverthenetwork.org/funderPr....asp?fndid=5176 Looks like some damn nice profits to me. Are you familiar with the term "endowment"? Because by siting assets, that is probably all you have said. Unless you have something that also shows how much they have given away, and spent on other expenses, you haven't shown a single penny of profits in your post.
  10. Here's one straight from MC
  11. QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:49 PM) Over the last 7 days. .240 BA I guess moving Konerko behind all of the higher OBP guys wasn't so bright afterall was it?
  12. Any word on how he has preformed in Charlotte? Has he been able to hit 90 yet, or go multiple innings with any success? A solid month from a guy like Dustin could be HUGE for the playoff run with guys like Cotts, Riske, and Brandon looking a little rough right now.
  13. QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 12:55 PM) Its sickening is what it is. I didnt think the Tigers would let up, and most predicted a slow-down on their part. But the pitching inconsistency hasnt gone away for the SOX and thats the difference. They just dont want it bad enough The Tigers haven't "let up". Not by any stretch of the imagination. Watching just about any of their games, they battle just like they always have. Just because they aren't winning, doesn't mean they aren't trying.
  14. QUOTE(UC76 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 12:49 PM) I don't write for anybody. I'm just tired of how we are always bombarded with this mentality that McCarthy is somehow a great young arm. Look, in a few years time maybe he will be a very solid pitcher, maybe even a star. And I certainly hope so. But at this point in time he has been nothing but mediocre at every level. Last night he comes in loses the game within seconds. There are guys out there that I mentioned above who are true phenoms. McCarthy, however, looks more like any other young guy trying to find his way. Which is fine. There is nothing wrong with that. But in the meantime, I'm tired of the star treatment he receives. it's nauseating to hear when the proof has not been in the pudding. Show us something first. Good lord. The guy has a three tough bullpen outings, where he has never pitched out of in his entire life, and he is instantly mediocre. The entire MLB has been trying to trade for this kid for two years now, with Kenny Williams beating off Bmac enquires with a stick, but yet you know more than all of these other GMs about how talented Brandon McCarthy is? I am tired of people thinking they know than any of the people who actually get paid to evaluate and train baseball talent. Why would you think that you have some special insight to the future of Brandon McCarthy that everyone inside of MLB doesn't seem to be able to see? I am also tired of people overreacting based on limited sample sizes. Where was this thread when McCarthy just about singlehandedly rescued the team with 5 1/3 innings allowing only a single run, and giving the Sox enough of a chance to get into the game? By all rights you should have been declaring Brandon the next Cy Young, because after all he did have one good outing. Try some moderation.
  15. So how many years of scouting have you put in? Who do you write for, BA? ESPN?
  16. southsider2k5 replied to Soxy's topic in SLaM
    FYI, Scrubs reruns are starting soon on Comedy Central
  17. southsider2k5 replied to Soxy's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:34 AM) My Name is Earl and the Office. That is about the only network TV I regularly watch. Definately two shows on my secondary watch list.
  18. QUOTE(WCSox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:39 AM) Just last week, people criticized Ozzie for not using B-Mac in big-game situations. I'm so sick of people making excuses for Golden Boy's mediocre pitching this season. He's had all freaking season to adjust to the sporadic work that a long-reliever gets. At some point he has to get the job done, despite the fact that he's been a starter thoughout his career and despite how many innings he has or hasn't thrown lately. I really think that B-Mac will eventually be a very good pitcher, but he has a long way to go. I'll say this much, you can't say he hasn't gotten his chance anymore. He has had two REAL good chances in the last few days to make a statement that he belongs in the group getting more regular pressure situation work, and he hasn't responded at all. Really ever since he resuced the Sox with the 5.1 IP in relief, he hasn't looked the same at all. With Riske and Cotts pitching as erratically as they have been, this was Brandon's golden chance. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ozzie just buries him now, based on how Oz has used him previously this year.
  19. QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:25 AM) I would never even guess it, but the way he reacted made me wonder a little. I don't know anything abou the kid or family or anything, but one of the warning signs is a drastic change in personality. More than likely the kid is just turning into a brat because he gets attention that way, but it was something that popped into my mind.
  20. southsider2k5 replied to Soxy's topic in SLaM
    LOST! God I can't wait for the 3rd season to start. I am totally infatuated with that show. I'd love to see the next season of the Sopranos, but Madison will probably be old enough to watch it by then,
  21. southsider2k5 replied to mreye's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(mreye @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:27 AM) They got me to take one. I thought there'd be something about ninjas or something - nope. Well to be fair, you really do need your ass kicked
  22. QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:14 AM) I agree and that is the strange thing. He is usually a good kid, but the last few times we have seen him (last 3-4 months once or twice a month), he has been a complete cry baby which is completely not like him. Brain and I were thinking it was maybe that within that last three years, he went from baby of the family to a middle kid. It could be an attention getting thing then... Don't take this the wrong way when I ask it, but any chance of abuse happening?
  23. southsider2k5 replied to mreye's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(mreye @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:06 AM) What was with the ninjas handing out the Red Eye today? Anybody else see this? I guess people literally have to get there asses kicked before they will read that load of crap.
  24. QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 10:05 AM) [mindless rambling] I went to Frankfort Fest and ended up buy Brain his anniversary present - an end table that was hand crafted in lodge-decor fashion (met the gentleman that makes the pieces). Brain has been asking me what I want and I told him think of something (I have no idea what I want, if I even want anything). I bought the end table because I thought he would like it and decided after I bought it that it would be his anniversary gift (it is hiding at my MIL's house for the time being). Brain 's nieces and nephews were over Sunday for our niece's 1st birthday. She shares her bday with my FIL so while we celebrated, there was a little sadness as well (their bday is 9/7). Our nephew ran his mouth and when Brain got up to speak with him he takes off into my SIL's house and proceeded to knock over a glass of juice onto her beige carpet. Brain told him to clean it up and went into drama queen mode screaming and crying running to the second floor. He kept saying that he was afraid Brain was going to hit him because Brain threw the rag at him telling him to clean up his mess (Brain was going to help him but ended up cleaning up most of it with the nephew's dad). I actually snapped at the kid because he would stop crying and freaking out. Brain has never so much as said a cross word to him even after he kept running his mouth and calling Brain names. It made me really think hard about whether I really want to try for kids after our first anniversary. I do not know why, but I have been in the WORST mood since Sunday. My allergies flared up Sunday morning so after church I went to Dominick's and picked up some Benadryl. I took 3 doses that day and none since, but feel emotionally like crap. [/mindless rambling] Just keep this in mind... Kids are a product of their enviornment. If the kid is acting out, there is probably something behind it. Either the parents never disipline him at all, or they give into his rantings. When it is your child, it is you all who decide how to raise them, and therefore how they will act. Don't let someone elses bad kids change your minds. I don't know Brain at all, but from what I have seen here at least, I think you would make an excellent mommy.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.