southsider2k5
Admin
-
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Currently
Viewing Forum: Alex’s Olde Tyme Sports Pub
Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Chicago City Council Put Pox in Big Boxes
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:57 PM) I think one could say the same thing about an ungodly number of people who run large corporations in this country as well. It'd really be nice if there were easier ways to link the performance of the people in power in either government or business to their pay, it really would. Its already starting to happen to some extent. With the SEC cracking down on the reporting of CEO pay, the groundwork is being set. Now instead of just salary and bonuses, they are being forced to include stock options and the money they make off of that stuff, plus all other forms of compensation being put into a dollar amount. Its only a matter of time before those numbers start getting used to justify employee raises during good times, and firing CEOs during bad ones.
-
Chicago City Council Put Pox in Big Boxes
QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:46 PM) I believe that, I just find it hard to believe that it won't affect other companies at all. I imagine Marshalls has an average salary well above the (new) minimum. But it wouldn't shock me if a new part time custodial worker at Marshall Fields gets less than the 10.75 minimum compensation. So it wouldn't affect them in any noticeable way, but it would, strictly speaking, affect them. That's all I mean. This sort of thing is said just to make a company sound meanspirited, as if they're spending MORE money just to guarantee that workers remain poor. If it were cheaper to pay their workers more, they'd do it. But it's just not that costly to turn your 95,000 sq ft store into an 89,995 sq ft store. If you want to talk about contemptible rationalizing, talk about the hypocrisy of these lawmakers. They talk about how everyone should get paid well, then they only apply it to a small group of companies. If you work for a small employer, then you don't deserve a "decent salary"? If they meant anything they say, they'd just pass a $10.75 Chicago minimum wage. And if they really wanted to make as statement, they wouldn't be working on a payraise for themselves making their pay over 100k per year, while raising taxes on everything under the sun in the city of Chicago. I know when my companies have lost money, I never got a raise, but hey, that's just me.
-
Chicago City Council Put Pox in Big Boxes
QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:13 PM) So all the rest pay all employees (or just full time -- I'm not sure what the new law stipulates) more than 9.50/hr + benefits already? I'm a little surprised, but okay. There just aren't many name plates that fit all of the criteria, and are paying low wages. The law is made that way on purpose. They did try to make this one broader than the Maryland law, so I think this one will stand up to legal muster.
-
Chicago City Council Put Pox in Big Boxes
QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:26 PM) Walmart's response: Fine, then we'll just have a ring of Walmarts around the city. It also mentions other workarounds. The first article mentioned that it "applies to stores of at least 90,000 square feet" -- could the companies just build 89,999 sq ft buildings, instead? One of the thing I heard speculated about was ways around this. One of the things I heard mentioned was to have more subletting of space so that they could claim that isn't "their" space and therefore shouldn't count, for example, renting out square footage to a cellphone company or to a bank. Another thing that was mentioned was 89,000 square foot buildings, with more off site storage to reduce the size needed for merchandise stock, reducing the need for square footage.
-
Chicago City Council Put Pox in Big Boxes
QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:00 PM) According to the article, it affects 40 stores nominally. Although I'm guessing some stores (Nordstrom's, say) will be more-or-less untouched. Only about half a dozen companies are affected making up those 40ish locales.
-
Chicago City Council Put Pox in Big Boxes
It will be interesting to see the legalistic interpretation of this specific statute. The famous Maryland law got thrown out, as I predicted, because it knowingly applied only to one company. This one actually affects about a half dozen different retailers, including groups like Target, Fields, and Sears. This was also the first time that I can remember the City Council manning up and stepping over what Sir Richard Daley the second decreed. They also managed to get a veto proof margin by two votes. So now the "Is Daley weakening?" questions have begun.
-
N Sync member comes out of the closet
Rex will be so pissed when he sees this
-
Anyone miss Jay?
QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 08:04 AM) What's to miss..? We have 42 mini Jay's right here. Only 42?
-
Yates not guilty by insanity
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/26/D8J3Q62O7.html
-
Only 2 players that I really want for leadoff
QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:52 PM) You better put extra money in the budget for bail if you acquire Ryan . . . And keep him away from Bobby Jenks.
-
Middle East conflict
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:43 PM) Why would they bomb UN targets on purpose? Could it be that the Hezzies are running around under the UN moniker? Hmmm. They have already been accused of using their own people as human shields, I think it would actually be a step down in their view to use forgeiners instead. Its plausible, but I would like to see some proof before I think it. To me this was an accident until someone comes up with some proof of this as well.
-
White Sox Loser
QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:30 PM) In all seriousness, Pods would have had a better chance because he would have been playing Bartlett much deeper than Ozuna was. It's just been a running theme all season....our outfield defense inability to make a big play. Cuddyer throwing out Iguchi was a huge play in the game. It would be nice if just once, our outfielder can throw out someone in a big spot. What made it even bigger is that he wasn't actually "ou", but then again Laz Diaz could have been in position to make that play instead of being behind it.
-
N Sync member comes out of the closet
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/2...s.ap/index.html
-
a little comedy relief
I love Rosenblooms writing. I think he is one of the best writers in Chicago.
-
TalkBears.com
I've got too much t-t-t-time on my hands
-
I Miss Smartball
I love chewing gum
-
Sox fans, how hard has it been?
QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:46 PM) One loss during our slump last year mentally pissed me off a lot more than 3 losses during this slump. Winning the World Series last year is the greatest sports moment of my life, and NOTHING will ever top it. Relax...it will be ok. If we don't make the playoffs, just go buy the DVD collection with all the games, and watch the 2005 playoffs while the 2006 playoffs are going on. This is pretty much where I am at. Kenny and Ozzie have done, and are doing everything to get the best players on that field, preforming at their optimal levels, and for some reason it just isn't happening right now. It happens in sports. Am I going to let it ruin my day? Nope. Enjoy they games for what they are worth, a 3 hour break from the doldrums of real life. Remember, it is just a game for us.
-
Only 2 players that I really want for leadoff
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:36 AM) Carl Crawford will require, by all accounts, Brandon McCarthy to be moved. Tampa has asked for Ervin Santana + one of the Angels other studs for him, and without getting that, they just said no thanks. The flip side of that is did the DRays learn their lesson from asking too much for Aubry Huff?
-
Zito to Sox (3-Way trade possibility)
QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:16 AM) No one will tell me. Wonder why... MY GOD WILL SOMEONE BUY THIS WOMAN A KEYBOARD WITH GREEN INK!!! :begood OR ELSE!
-
Zito to Sox (3-Way trade possibility)
QUOTE(HawknWimpyLUV @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:03 AM) Thank you for your support. I can't wait until they break away from the third place team in the division, it will be a huge boost. And it still isn'tthe right time of year for anything cause they were well out in front at this time last year. You uptight prick. Nevermind. Now you have 10 days to read the guidelines.
-
Zito to Sox (3-Way trade possibility)
QUOTE(HawknWimpyLUV @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:59 AM) Actually it's not. They had a pretty big cushion up until the final week and then pulled away. It's much harder to wake up from 7.5 back. Let's not be morons here. Welcome to Soxtalk, you might want to read up on the boardguidlines though... namecalling is kinda frowned upon here... http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?act=boardrules
-
The Cheerup Thread
Lets hug it out b****es!
-
Zito to Sox (3-Way trade possibility)
QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:55 AM) Zito will help us now. FWIW, Boras was at 2 Boston/White Sox games. 1 in Unc's box. Perhaps they've mended the fence. Well that certianly makes things interesting. Could we be talking about a signing along with a trade then?
-
Ind. police scour roads for sniper clues
QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:09 AM) A kid confessed and is in custody. Glad to hear this is over.
-
Ind. police scour roads for sniper clues
The FBI has stepped into the investigation, and they are asking anyone who traveled through the two shooting areas to check their cars for potential bulletholes.