Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Where's the Vaz love?
QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 06:06 AM) Yeah that was an article in the Trib saying he changed his arm angle. Hopefully he can continue having success with it. I also heard a couple of starts ago, Farmer talked to Javy about his technique deteriorating as he tired, supposedly he wasn't getting a good high leg kick, and it was causing a lack of movement in his pitches, especially his curveball. Hopefully this means Javy has turned the corner, because as I see it, he has the second best pure arm on the team behind Jose. If those two start firing, and throw in Garland and Buehrle for good measure, look out Tigers.
-
High gas prices.
Here we go again... Biggest US oilfield shutdown, 8% of capacity shuttered... Crude up $1.50BBP near records again
-
Iran ramping up nuclear activities
QUOTE(samclemens @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 06:40 PM) the current islamofacists in power in iran are impossible to predict, except for their support of anyone and anything anti-israel. thats why I have to disagree with you when you say that we have "plenty of time". iran is openly defying UN resolutions like its their job. and what has the UN done? issue a couple resolutions and extend iran's deadlines. when the UN actually does something besides demand ceasefires and (especially maddening) even suggest that hezbollah should not be defined as a terrorist organization, i will give them credit. i guess i would ask you why you consider the UN an effective organization. I just dont see it. Impossible to predict? Not at all. They have actually been very predicatble, just none of it is good for our world view. QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 12:55 AM) The UN does nothing without US approval. The UN does nothing without US approval. The UN does nothing without US approval. The UN does nothing without US approval. Maybe part of the reason UN leadership is weak rests with weak leadership at home. And in a handful of other countries that control what the UN does. That's a little misleading as their are 5 countries that can derail anything for any reason. Its true, but definately not all-inclusive.
-
Had a job interview today
QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 07:43 AM) And really not an industry I would like to get into, nor would many people I would have thought. I'd have to kill myself if I were an HR person. Some people have the personality for it, and then there are those of us who just can't stand anybody
-
Reuters admits to using doctored photo(s)
So far in the conflict we have seen -casualty totals exaggerated or lied about. -photos doctored -Hezbollah controlling access to attack zones -Evidence of Hebollah trying to blend in with civilains in violation of the Geneva Conventions, which has been barely reported. -Firing on Israel systematically from civilian areas, which has also been very underreported. And people wonder why the MSM's credibility is doubted...
-
If I or anyone believe the following statements...
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 11:11 PM) See, this thread is a perfect illustration of the problem I have with this whole debate. Anyone who has any problem with what Israel is currently doing, either with their planning behind this offensive, or their methods of carrying it out, or any other act they've taken, is immediately labeled as part of the "Terrorist apologist crowd." Never mind that people could have honest differences of opinion over whether or not a particular tactic is either legal or effective, whether you get called an anti-semite or not, the immediate response to any questioning of the campaign, of any sort is "My God, why are you on Hezbollah's side?" Even when you criticize the actions of both sides, you get challenged as supporting terrorists. Now personally I don't see it as that bad at all. Granted there are the 2% in any debate who lack substance and intelligence and instantly resort to namecalling to gain the upperhand in an arguement, but their points are worthless to me anyway. The big problem is because of the history of the Jewish people, there is a stigma associated with being an anti-semite, vs being just about any other form of racist, so for whatever reason when that accusation is leveled, peoples ears perk up and wait to see the car-wreck. Even just within this example, being called a "Zionist" hardly bats an eye, but let someone call you an anti-semite, and you'll have pages of problems. I think the biggest problem that I have personally observed in this arguement, fits pretty well into the typical pattern of many who have no idea what the history of these conflicts is, and tries to fit these problems conveiently under the lights of 2006 politics. So far, I haven't seen anything really resembling true racism within these arguements, althought Iggy's opening statement is pretty ignorantly worded, and could be headed down the road of anti-semetic depending on what other substance came with the arguement. That little snippet is definately one-sided at best, and definately eskews one side from any responsiblity for their recent actions, IMHO.
-
Had a job interview today
QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 09:09 PM) "I got fired for having sex with the Cleaning Woman!!!!" "Was that wrong?" BTW, PM me Alex and let me know what you are applying for if you don't want to talk about it here... Maybe I can give you some industry specific tips, or at least point you towards someone who can.
-
McCarthy
QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 05:40 PM) That would be Jerry Owens AND Charlie Haeger, both of whom are still with the Sox. Or Willie who refused to go and learn a new position...
-
Confirmation of Vas getting the hook after 5
QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:57 AM) well, welll, well, love for Vaz , eh? They should have yanked him after 5 and taxed the bullpen.
-
Films
Saw Clerks 2 last night, and really laughed my ass off, but they really "Chasing Amy"'d the ending... Way too serious, but other than that they did the series proud.
-
Sox Appeal
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 01:10 PM) The argument changes every day to suit one's perspective. I expected that. Now I'll just tootle along and go play somewhere else. I'll second that And raise you a of course its a negative. The Sox are at the height of their historical popularity, its being highlighted on the front page of the biggest newspaper in Chicago, and its a negative towards the Sox. How could I have been so blind as to not get it??
-
Yuliesky Gourriel defects?
International players talking their buddies into coming here worked once for us...
-
Uribe Benched for "Lack of Intensity"?
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 10:21 AM) Jim Thome? And it's still early, but a young Mark Buehrle (if he stays healthy and makes a run at 300)? Thome was only on this team, not last years. Frank would be the closest thing in 05, and he only played about a month. Buehrle could be an HOFer, but historically there is usually a guy you can point to as a no brainer on a repeat WS team. Don't get me wrong, I haven't done a ginormous amount of research with tons of cross-references or anything, but as I remember the Yankees of the 70's having guys like Reggie and Guidry, the A's of the 70's having Catfish, Reggie, Fingers and Blue, the Reds of the 70's having a virtual line up of HOFers.. recently the Jays of the 90's had Molitor, Carter, Alomar, and a should be HOFer like Jack Morris, with the Yanks of the 90's having the big exception to that rule, really only having a young Jeter, Pettitte and Rivera on the first team, then adding guys like Clemens later on.
-
Uribe Benched for "Lack of Intensity"?
QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:55 AM) Out team right now has the potential to be a dynasty like that. Even last year I would have made a couple of arguements against that... First of all almost all of those teams had Hall of Fame players in huge rolls, which we don't/didn't. Also their #1 and usually #2 pitchers were very dominant, where our trademark was just very good pitching 1-5. I think in this day and age we have the potential to be in the playoffs on an annual basis with this team, but dynasty is a whole nother story.
-
Uribe Benched for "Lack of Intensity"?
QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:40 AM) Someone had a stat on that a little while ago. They had the percentages of teams repeating and the stats for teams returning to the WS in consecutive years. From what I remember, the percentages were actually higher than you'd think. It's not nearly as rare as you might think. The numbers were also seriously skewed by a few things. The biggest one is the dynasty teams like the Yankees of all eras.
-
What do you think of this year's Marlins?
I'm impressed so far. It will be interesting to see if these young guys take a step forward next year, or like Cleveland take a big step backwards. There is no doubt there is talent there, and if someone could convince them to expand payroll to add a couple of veteran players, it could put them into a true contender level team.
-
Detroit Tigers World Series Thread
I thought first place teams always swept last place teams, and definately didn't split with them???
-
Submit your Questions for John Sickels
John-What is the first thing you look for in a position prospect?
-
redding another chance
QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 08:26 AM) Yeah, Tim Redding would be "Hard to Handle". BWAHAHAHAHA Sorry, carry on. As long as they leave Tim, Sittin by the Dock of the Bay, and not in Chicago, its all good for me.
-
Joe Lieberman will run in the general.
Lamont pounds Joe on WMT PAC donation of $1000, while controling over $30k worth of stock.
-
Minimum Wage Passes House
And the senate shoots down the combo bill
-
redding another chance
The Sox have a better chance at calling up Otis Redding...
-
Sox Appeal
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:33 AM) MEDIA BIAS!!!! I'm sorry. I had to. Which is pretty ironic considering this is the lead story in the CHICAGO TRIBUNE sports page... Funny, if I am trying to keep someone down, I sure don't run the LEAD STORY on how much people love them. But maybe I don't know how to keep the man down or something.
-
Uribe Benched for "Lack of Intensity"?
QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 09:17 PM) wow.....just still blows me away how a team, this team, who had so much promise to repeat, who was FLAT OUT RUNNING AWAY with the division and wild card spot along with Detroit, has sunken into such misery........all the staples of last year that brought them their identity, are gone, and once you get to the point of players being benched for lack of effort, you know you're hitting bottom.....how I ask how did this happen? When was the last repeat? If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.
-
Sox Appeal
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines