Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Personal Attacks
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:15 PM) I'd be lying if I said that what players have said about the site have nothing to do with it. However, we didn't start talking about it til posters and other fans brought it up. I understand what you are saying, but again, we are doing this so Soxtalk is an enjoyable place to come again. You wouldn't believe how sick a lot of the mods and admins were of coming here. There was a reason I quit for a while... It wasn't worth it anymore. And if it can make me stop, its gotta be bad
-
Personal Attacks
QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:03 PM) Wouldn't nitpicking also be telling people not to use harmless nicknames when showing the lineups? Or just assuming too much from people... Either way there is a reason that this is happening. If people had been smart and respectful with the freedoms that they had been given on this site, there wouldn't now be a 100 post thread about this, and people still trying to poke holes in it. Is this stuff asking too much? Seriously, why is either people are all in favor of this, or they are spending all of their time trying to see what they can get away with? This should be a simple as respecting the people on this site, but instead we are wasting all kinds of time having to get into nitpicking specifics about what exact phraseology and terminology can be used for exactly which people, and at what specific times, during which conditions, on what planet, in what atmospheric pressure, figuring with or with a waiver from your parents if you are under 18, with what specific lawyer, under what guise, with which particular meaning, on whose team, in which league, taking into account if it is really a sport or not, depending on if your agent approves, at what times of years, in which font and color, spelling, punctuation, language, accent, and/or context is acceptible. Just treat the site and the people involved with it with some respect. I guarentee if you follow that one stinking rule, you will never be suspended.
-
Personal Attacks
QUOTE(marsh @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 01:51 PM) Being serious and calling Natalee a whore/slut and saying she got was she deserves is o.k. Joking that Timo and Ozzie are gay because Timo is playing is vulgar and crosses the line. This is common sense? Sounds like the exact opposite. Really I don't think any of it is OK. But I guess that is something we (the mods and admins) would deal with if and when it happened. Any other nitpicking, shades of gray scenarios you all would like to hash out?
-
Hurricane Katrina
Interesting to note, the rains of Katrina are not that far away from us right now. This has taken a way more straight northerly track vs the trending to the east that was expected. We might get some of this rain.
-
Personal Attacks
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 01:32 PM) GM usually means "Give me". I also know what T&A means, so draw your own conclusions... I like your version a lot better
-
Hurricane Katrina
Martial Law has been declared in some areas. Also there are reports of looting. http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050830/sc_af...ns_050830162048
-
Hurricane Katrina
QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 12:47 PM) Holy crap... the more I see of this... this is just absolutely devastating... The arial pictures are just mind blowing. There is complete and utter destruction everywhere.
-
Could we see Jerry Owens on the team in..........
I don't remember where I saw it, but they said that no one from AA is coming up this year.
-
Congrats to Baj
I am thrilled to death for Jeff. I was a little nervous when I heard his name last night to pitch the 8th, but I'll damned if he didn't look like he thought he belonged in the majors last night. His command looked really solid. He kept the ball down and spotted the corners really well also. His mound presence also looked like he meant business. I think this time, Baj makes his statement that he will be a major league pitcher. Also I am hoping Jeff is back with the team in time for the Sept 8th Patio Party. I definately have to stop by the pen and say hey if he is back with the team.
-
Hurricane Katrina
A pic of the not-so-Superdome from National Geographic
-
Hurricane Katrina
There is a 200 foot breach in the main levee holding back Lake Ponchitrain and water is pouring out of it. http://www.wwltv.com/
-
Hurricane Katrina
68 confirmed deaths so far, and that number is expected to go "significantly" higher.
-
Personal Attacks
QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:30 AM) with this "clean slate" approach, does that mean I get my alternate personalities back? You trying to tell me something babybearhater?
-
White Sox could be interested
QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:13 AM) dude, I'm pretty sure AJ signed for two years, and we should just lock him up after this year. AJ just has a deal for this year.
-
Personal Attacks
QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:25 AM) SSR=redefining hovering. That was fast. Seriously though, its a true statement. Actually the point is that we are getting past all of that. If you say something about anyone else, you are gone. Its much easier than the old system of determining who said to whom, and how bad it was, and what context it was etc... This is much more cut and dry. Say something about someone, get a few days off. It also takes the angle of post totals and friendships out of the equation as it is right there in black and white for people to refer to.
-
Personal Attacks
QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:22 AM) I still think that whatever is said. People with 30,000 posts are going to get more benefit of the doubt than someone who has 14. No matter how much you say it, its still going to be the case because you know the poster's history of contributing, and you know that they will continue to post relevant facts and intelligent arguments, whereas the newbie may just be a hothead. Well since there is only one person here with 30,000 posts, I think everyone else is all right
-
The lighter side of losing
QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:09 AM) Yeah, why should they worry? They get paid zillions of dollars win, lose or draw. Meanwhile, fans hoping for a championship have to "wait 'til next year."...again. hahahahahahahahahahahaha Yeah I am sure they have that attitude :rolly
-
The Ross Gload Conspiracy
QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:13 AM) You sound like you are angry. That is why I asked how your day is. If I offended you I apologize. Furthermore, I will be the better man and walk away. I would not want to upset you more. Friendly advice. Step away and read the thread up at the top of this page on personal attacks. One more post like this and you will be suspension number one under this policy. Why doesn't everyone just walk away from this right now...
-
The Ross Gload Conspiracy
QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:46 AM) It is too bad Gload can't play Shortstop or Third. How about this scenario. LF Everett CF Pods Rf Die DH Gload 1B Pop Up Paulie Arow is struggling since June. Everett defense is not nearly on par, but we need offense. I see you are newish here. Leave the nicknames out of the players, please.
-
The Ross Gload Conspiracy
QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:23 AM) I still think we'll trade Contreras though. Would we try and become a player in the Manny market? I really think there's a chance we put Dye at 1b, and try to find another outfielder to bridge the gap until our prospects are fully ready. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if we made a real move in the Griffey market. I could see a Contreras/Griffey/cash trade happening.
-
The Ross Gload Conspiracy
QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:20 AM) I don't have the numbers in front of me, but how much did the payroll increase after we last made the playoffs? Also, what if we don't make the playoffs this year? Thanks for the information, I always find these types of statistics a lot more informative than stupid article's by columnists saying how a team needs to sign such and such player. In 1999 we drew about 1.35 million people 2000 we drew about 1.95 mil In 2000 payroll was just over $31 million 2001 it was $65 million attendance---> http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/wsoxatte.shtml payroll----> http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/sa...lts.aspx?team=4
-
The Ross Gload Conspiracy
QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:18 AM) Because I think a lot of our core team is already in place, and we have a lot of raises to give to guys like Garland and AJP. Which players out there are we going to spend a lot of money on, and at what positions? It's too bad Glaus wasn't a FA this season, as I always thought he would have been a monster at the Cell. If we do have so much money to spend, we need to lock up Garland to a 4 year deal, and I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Cotts get an extension. We are never active players on the UFA market, but we all know Kenny Williams LOVES to go after the biggest name possible in the trade market. Kenny is going to get another bat, we all can see that. He will do more if he loses Konerko as well. For once this off-season we will be able take on cash in a deal, and won't have to worry about giving up great players to do it.
-
The Ross Gload Conspiracy
QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:11 AM) I honestly hope a lot of you aren't disappointed when we don't spend all this money we supposedly have. I would love to be wrong, but I'm not expecting a lot of big spending. Why do you think they won't so much, when recent history seems to indicate anything but that? They payroll has always increased/decreased with the corresponding move in attendance. We are looking at about a 20% increase in this years attendance, so now all of the sudden the Sox will turn their backs on about 10 years worth of behavior? Why do you think that?
-
Personal Attacks
QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:59 AM) That part made him sound like a superhero. Honestly, I like the idea of punishing personal attacks, but I'm not as happy with the ban on attacking players (and I don't mean Lique-style). I'm almost afraid to say that a player sucks when, in fact, that player does suck. There is a big line there. Something like "OMIT TIMO" is very different than "I wish Timo would get flaming hemeroids after blowing Ozzie and die a slow painful death". Saying a player sucks isn't going to get you in trouble. Saying a player sucks for his job, that's a different story, and will get you a vacation.
-
Hurricane Katrina
CNBC is reporting that 7 oil rigs are set adrift in the Gulf. Currently crude is back to almost $70 bbp.