Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Hurricane Katrina
QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:14 AM) Galveston last 6,000 souls in 1900 from a hurricane. http://www.1900storm.com/storm/index.lasso I though about Galveston but discounted it. Just now I remembered that Galveston was the biggest city in Texas at the time of that hurricane. Good call. More what I was looking for was has anything like this happened in the US in the last 100 years? I can't think of anything else.
-
Ross Gload comments
QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 08:03 AM) He played in the minors for 4 years before getting a chance. He had 3-4 good months here with us. They weren't complete obviously but around 20 games. Gload is 29, was he like 24 when he started in the minors? Also he had an up and down season until September of last year, then he had a good September. The guy has been a minor league free agent multiple times, don't you think if anyone saw what some people see in Gload, he would have been a mainstay on a major league roster years ago?
-
Offiicial game thread 9/1
QUOTE(wsox08 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 09:39 PM) only 14 pages.. wtf is up?? I guess it isnt as long as normal and the sox arent losing so no one is complaining I HOPE.. YES Its always shorter when we win. Also many more conspicuous absences...
-
Ross Gload comments
Too bad Konerko didn't say something like this, it would be a 200 post thread. Ross Gload is exactly what he is, a fringe player. If he were that good, he wouldn't have bounced around the minors for almost 10 years before getting a chance, and having one good month at the major league level. He'll never be a starter, at least on a good team, but there is no doubt he can stick around as a left handed bat off of the bench. His best bet for a long career is learning to pinch hit, and trying to catch on as a utility guy in the National League.
-
Anyone notice
I guess it got too cold for all of the fair-weather fans already...
-
Casanova, Sanders and Gload called up
QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:16 AM) Yeah, I know but the multiple Chris Young lovers wre begging for his upbringing ... QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:18 AM) Well, they're delusional. The Sox made it clear a while ago they were sending him to Arizona for the Fall League. People might have wanted Young up here, but there was never any doubt about his September destination.
-
Hurricane Katrina
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 07:14 AM) Depresing, isn't it? I don't recall the ravaged population of SE Asia f***ing each other over for short term personal gain after the tsunami. Yea us. ( ) Yeah it kinda upsets me too. Its one thing to be emptying a supermarket because you have nothing to eat, and I don't think anyone would begrudge that type of behavior. But you are talking about rapes, shootings, and just general anarchy conditions. I was curious about historical context when I asked earlier, when was the last time that something like this happened. When was the last time that a major US city was basically destroyed by a natural disaster? The last two I could come up with were San Francisco in 1906 and Chicago in 1871.
-
Hurricane Katrina
I don't know about the logistical side of things, especially when groups like FEMA probably never even imagined this many people to take care of, but there has been one massive miscalculation when it came to a disaster like this, and that was the assumption of law and order after a disaster.
-
Offiicial game thread 9/1
QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 06:35 PM) they said gooch was having trouble seeing out of his right eye? Well that could go a long way towards explaining his last couple weeks of play.
-
Hurricane Katrina
QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 06:50 PM) Understanding how a major American city could be thrown into chaos and destruction in a natural disaster is not only productive and fair, but mandatory in my opinion. While no one's blaming the federal government for a hurricane, I do hold them accountable for their response to this tragedy. I will scrutinize it, as we all should. After four days we can't get fresh water in there. You make your own judgements of that, I'll make mine. Provide me with some historical guidence here. When is the last time that a catestophic event has essentially destroyed a major population center in the US? Running with that, how specifically should the federal government have been ready for a disaster of this scale, in this specific city, and how much should they have invested in it, waiting for it to happen one of these days? How much should they have stored, where should they have stored it, how much should they have spent to store it, how many people should have been kept on call for this how many different places in the country should we be preparing for catestrophic events just like this...etc. It is easy to be upset, but the reality is the logistics of what you are suggesting is nearly impossible.
-
Hurricane Katrina
QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 06:45 PM) The buses made it in there. To that one particular part of the city. Not everyone is there. You are talking about trying to track down a couple of hundred thousand people spread out all over all kinds of flooded areas, trapped in places, and not even mentioning the safety of the people who would be trying to get this stuff there in the first place. Can you imagine them driving a semi-tracker full of food and medicine into some of those areas, and a group of armed vigilantes killing the aid workers and hi-jacking the truck? A couple of days ago I couldn't have imagined it, today it wouldn't surprise me. The very first thing they have to do is restore law and order. Until they do that, they can't rescue people, they can help people, and they can organize the safe distribution of good and services to the masses.
-
Where will the Hornets play next year?
The Saints are in the same boat. I wonder where they are going to go?
-
Hurricane Katrina
QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 06:41 PM) Can't we just "invade" NO, bring a bunch of trucks and ships in and just get those people out of there? Set up emergency relief centers at accessible locations around the city and drop in medics and supplies? Like...NOW?! It's been 4 days!! You can't bring trucks into places that don't have roads and bridges. Ships can't make it in because there is no where to empty them.
-
Ponson Released
QUOTE(TheDybber @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 12:19 PM) Just read it on ESPN's Transactions page. Now that's what I call screwing the pooch. You know the GMs were sitting around waiting to cut him AFTER September 1st to really kick him out the door. Now no contending team can have him on their post-season roster (not that they would anyway). The Baltimore Orioles have to be the happiest team in the world to be out from under that contract.
-
Hurricane Katrina
QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 06:31 PM) Those people shooting at medical workers and other helpers deserve to be thrown in jail for life. My father went down there yesterday to help as a doctor on an emergency response team, and he said it's just an absolute war zone. Shoot to kill at that point. If anyone even points a gun at anyone, they need to take action to protect people. Its the only way that law and order will be restored.
-
how we learned to stop worrying and love fathom
QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 08:10 AM) Just curious are you telling me that you would have been willing to give up something like Contreras, Marte, McCarthy and a prospect to get a bat? Because that is what the asking prices were for these kind of players. The deals weren't just prospects, go back and read what Kenny said at the deadline, they were asking for guys like Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia, were you willing to trade those guys to get a bat? It wasn't just "prospects" that were being asked for. Like I said, go back and read what GMs said at the break, and the names that were being floated. It wasn't as easy as sending Brian Anderson to get someone like it has been in years past. We would have had to put multiple holes in the starting line ups, in order to do what you are saying. No one wanted to take this on? Who would have been willing to pay the asking price of one of our good starters, one of our good relievers, McCarthy, and a prosepect for a good hitter?
-
Offiicial game thread 9/1
QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 06:15 PM) quick question? Do you guys remember those ticketmaster discount date and codes? Im about to buy tickets for sept 8th. $28 will get you into the Soxtalk/WSI patio party!!!
-
Casanova, Sanders and Gload called up
QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 02:45 PM) your telling me we don't have ANYONE down there that could make an impact? i'm shocked i forgot we're not the braves, cardinals, or twins The big guys who can help us are here in McCarthy and Jenks. 20 other organziations would have had them up here in April.
-
Gas prices just jumped another $1.00!!!
QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:03 PM) all i have to say is watch Exxon Mobil and BP's earnings after 3rd and 4th quarter 2005. both of there eps have tripled in the past 3yrs. You can't sell what you don't have. I hardly see their revenues increasing when #1 they can't refine gas, and #2 they are going to have to put HUGE expenses into rebuilding infrastructure. Even if the government gives them aid, it will be loans, and will have to be paid back. QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 03:47 PM) What I don't get is that it was the oil refineries affected. It takes around 3 years to turn oil into gas, yet the gas rise is happening now. We don't have a gas shortage right now, yet every company increased its prices anyway. I guess we should be happy we don't live in Georgia, where it's over 6 dollars. Blame that on accountings. Last In Last Out. You charge to replace what you are selling. It sounds criminal, but that is standard business practice unfortunately. Then again thinking like that is what put Arthur Anderson out of business. QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 04:57 PM) Ive heard some talk but I think its just talk at this point. They have tens of thousands of Guardsmen in the affected states plus several thousand active duty folks available to deal with all this so I dont see any of us getting a call unless they need something really specialized. For now Im doing my part by sending my whole mid-month paycheck to the Red Cross. Nuke that is awesome. Good for you, and hopefully you get paid back in spades. I wish I could do the samething I hope you generousity serves as a motivatore for everyone:usa QUOTE(winodj @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 05:34 PM) 10% of our capacity to produce gasoline is out of commission right now. Yet the price of gas has increased by 50%. That doesn't make sense to me. The Oil crisis of the 1970's was caused by about a 15% reduction in overall supply and prices went up by a factor of 4 by the time all was said and done. With the elasticity of energy prices, they are highly responsive to changes in supply and demand. Something like this could have the country paying $5 a gallon by the time this is all said and done if the supply disruptions end up being mid to longer term.
-
Core of the Core Seating Chart
QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 08:12 AM) I wish i would have known we were having an outing... I would have gone. I wanna get myself a piece of that ample SS2k5 rump. Hey maybe if you weren't so busy chasing my ass around, you could write something new on Porkchop
-
Blind Faith
QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 11:43 AM) Bring it to september to remember thread. Meh, there are 6587953 threads declaring the Sox dead, so I don't see any problem with 2 postive threads... I say PREACH ON BROTHERS!!!
-
Hurricane Katrina
I did see in the paper today that the Tribune Companies charity is doing a matching campaign for Hurricane Katrina relief, for every $2 that is donated, they will add $1. You can call 1-800-508-2848 Get on-line at www.mccormicktribune.org Or mail donations to McCormick Tribune Foundation Hurricane Relief Campaign 435 North Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60611
-
September 1st callups
QUOTE(Bullard @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:22 PM) PS I have an MRI Friday or Saturday. I might need tommy john. Pray for me! Thanks Bull Damn Jim, that sucks. Is it a continuation of the problems from earlier this year, or something new? Regardless, congrats on gutting this season out. It was great to see you moved up to AAA and gets some chances at starting. And best of all, now you are only one step away from the big time Good luck on the MRI Bull!
-
Congrats to the Happy Houseowners!
QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 1, 2005 -> 10:42 AM) you ain't having a baby, she is. That point will become abundantly clear during labor. You are under the mistaken impression that I own that house
-
Saved by a computer lifeguard
So can it detect the fat guys in Spedo's?