Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. I am forwarding this on to these guys....
  2. http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/new...egion-apnewyork
  3. http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-wtc24.html
  4. Dookie colored glasses:check JJ Redick for mayor sign:check Blue and White body paint:check Earplugs to avoid hearing any other opinions:check List of cute belittling knicknames:check Yankeesfan guide to snobbery:check
  5. QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 01:06 PM) So you are expecting Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts to run a food pantry? You never answered when I asked where is the money going to come from and who will deliver the services. Will everyone who receives a $50 reduction in their taxes now send it to social services? You're right I didn't answer.
  6. QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:52 PM) Kiwanis isn't religiously affiliated. you're presupposing that every private "community" entity would be of religious nature. I guess we should all stop buying girl scout cookies and boy scout popcorn so that we aren't funding these evil private organization...
  7. QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:35 PM) LOL following this link That is awesome too
  8. southsider2k5 replied to Steff's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:19 PM) How do they prosecute Priests for this stuff from 20+ years ago then...?? I think most of that damage is being done in civil suits.
  9. That is great.
  10. southsider2k5 replied to Steff's topic in SLaM
    If it happened when she was that young, the statute of limitations is probably long since expired, so the police would be pretty worthless. All I know is there would be no way I would leave him alone with young children, and if I were her I would try to talk to the rest of the family about it.
  11. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7022618/
  12. An eerie story here about finding someone's digital camera who were on vacation and died during the tsunami, the pictures on the memory card, and finding the family to get the pics to. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...llphoto24m.html
  13. wow. Nevermind.
  14. QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 10:01 AM) Like I said, charity happens. But the question is always, How much? I don't doubt for a second that it would be underprovided if government stepped aside. Put up all the soup kitchens you want, that's hardly comparable to SS and Medicaid and early education/decent lunch funding. Safety networks will exist anyway in tight-knit communities & families. But it doesn't accord with our sense of a 'good society' that individuals without a (reliable) family or church community should be allowed to fall through the cracks. I'm not entirely opposed to reforming some entitlement programs. I think entitlements should be fairly limited. But I hope it never gets taken out of government hands. There obviously has to be safety nets now. The entire country is such now that they depend on the government when the worst happens. It is engrained in our culture now. But some of it is just ridiculous.
  15. QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 09:54 AM) Name another organization that represents ALL AMERICANS? ALL AMERICANS that are able, contribute through our tax system to social services. Why not have a group of ALL AMERICANS instead of just your Church? The government is you and I and WDJ and Steff and Kip Wells Fan. That's how we take care of our own. Why would you want to form thousands of individual groups offering those services when we already have an organization that EVERY AMERICAN that is able to, contributes to? THE GOVERNMENT IS ALL OF US!! It isn't US and THEM. WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT. And what is really funny, is how few people here actually attend Church. Sounds to me like some of you will dump that responsibility on the people in Church. How will athiests contribute? Will there be meetings somewhere for them to contribute? Will we have Athiest based soup kitchens handing out meals? Will they spring up and rent buildings, buy food? It is a shame that Republicans think that if all Americans get together to do something it is somehow worse than if just a few do. Ignoring the tons of assumptions and generalizations in there... The reason that I would rather see things done on a local level, is because of the HUGE ineffeciences of government. When you cut out buearucracy, you cut costs. If you cut out costs more money gets to go to the things you are trying to fix. At a local level you are also much better able to identify specific and particular problems that are as easily seen from Washington DC. Besides I am still a big believer in the idea that the framers of the constituion had individualism in mind when the founded this country. How did we survive for 150 years without SSI and welfare? How did we ever make it without medicare and medicade? The federal government was meant to protect us from our enemies. The local governments were meant to provide services that the private sector fails at.
  16. QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 09:38 AM) There's no obvious incentive for individuals to provide something for other people. Even if it's valuable to them, individuals will tend to piggyback -- 'It's already being provided, my own contribution won't make a noticeable difference.' Charity happens, so it's not all-or-nothing, but social services (where the advantage isn't realized by one person) are almost certainly underprovided unless government organizes them. Easy there with your wording. There is no economic incentive for giving. But the US leads the world in aid given. For many people the incentive is the feeling of making someone's life a little better. There is no incentive for me to get up early on a Saturday and referee peewee basketball, as I am a volunteer, but I do it anyway. Some people also believe that it is their religious duty to give to people less fortunate, whether it be from money or time or any other way they are able. Charity is a huge industry in the US, and it isn't because of incentive, because there is none.
  17. QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 08:44 AM) The fundamental difference is Democrats believe the Government is WE; Republicans seem to believe the government is THEY, and citizens are somehow not responsible through our government. We manage our affairs as a society. We combine resources via a system of taxes to pay for services like fire, police, military protection, and we pay for services and items for our common good. We elect people to manage those shared resources. In the end what is accomplished is WE. We have freedom of religion is this country and by extension, freedom from religion. I don't think it is good social policy to ask people to head down to the local Mosque for their daily bread. Quarters spent on our social programs are dollars saved in our criminal justice system. So why does it have to be a governmental quarter, that started out at 35 cents of tax payers money? Why couldn't it be a private citizen's quarter going to fix a problem right in front of his face, with a result that he can view? I don't get the insistance that the government does stuff.
  18. QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 03:13 AM) My one and only 2005 Sox prediction: Joe Crede will make Josh Fields trade bait. I really doubt it. Keep in the back of your mind that Joe is a Borass client. His days on the southside are numbered.
  19. QUOTE(Beastly @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 10:08 PM) I did that because I never know what people could say, "hey, its that jackass who makes those f***ed up threads..." or, my favorite one, which someone has said to me before "how do you feel about showering, what were u thinking when u ripped one?" Yes the threads were inexcuseable, however, I believe in redemption, and theres some people out there who don't, and judge off a few times. Not saying you are, ss2k4, you are a good person, theres just some people who can't get over an immature 8th grader. silly, isn't it?! Don't let it bother you... If whoever you meet ends up being that big of a b****, just never bother with them again. The people you miss meeting by being nervous are going to far outweigh the dumbasses you meet. I can vow for that. I have met tons of great people from here, and I am always happy to meet more.
  20. QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:03 PM) Not to totally hijack this thread, but.... I think it's interesting that the biggest debate in religion seems to be the debate on gay marriage. While, it appears, a myriad of things Jesus was much more fervent about seem to fall to the wayside because they affect more people. One of the things Jesus went on about most in the Gospels was the evils of possessions--how they end up owning you, you can't serve 2 masters, harder for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than a rich man enter heaven, sending away the young man because he wouldn't give it all up, the widow's offering and the poor man's offering, Zacchieus, Judas selling Christ for silver (and those are the few examples I can think of off the top of my head--I know there's more). Yet we live in a country that is the wealthiest in the world--and prides itself on its overwhelmingly Christian majority. I think there's a disconnect there. Why, oh, why isn't this one of the MOST talked about issues facing Christianity? I am honestly, honestly baffled by this. This is a great post, and I have had this discussion with more than a few people.
  21. QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 11:15 PM) PA, how do you reconcile this with the GOP view that we should only feed someone for two years than let the lazy bum starve? That is a huge generalization that is absolutely wrong. The GOP doesn't believe in making people starve. They also don't believe that people should depend on the government. The difference being that they believe that the private structure should help to take care of people. Charities are meant to be run by private people, not the federal government. The GOP believes the churches should be feeding people, not government cheese. There obviously needs to be a safety net for people who are unable to take care of themselves, but there are many people who do not fall into that group.
  22. On a serious note, I did see where the jury is all white. Very interesting to say the least.
  23. QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 24, 2005 -> 12:00 AM) Kurt Cobain is hardly a good writer. He admitted himself that most of his lyrics didn't make sense. Kurt Kobain had lots of issues with himself (duh) and I don't care what he said about his lyrics, the man spoke for a generation. Even today his lyrics loom loudly.
  24. QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 09:09 PM) First half: Second: It was very much the "older" posters who replied first. I don't know that Bob Dylan has ever enamored himself to young generations like say the Beatles have, and that's just too bad. Dylan is a genius.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.