Everything posted by 35thstreetswarm
-
A.J. rips Getz/Grifol...
This is one of those weird situations where I'm 100% on board and ready for them to rip the Sox...but then they choose something dumb. I mean, Getz acknowledging that he doesn't like the team was the one encouraging thing I've seen this offseason. It gave me hope he might make dramatic changes instead of just resting on the "we have a talented group" nonsense. I guess Grifol could've been a little more tactful about agreeing with that accurate assessment, but this is like number 650 on the list of things to spend a whole podcast ripping the Sox about.
-
Sox winter fest?...
At this point I'm expecting them to let everyone line up, keep the doors locked, then announce after a couple hours that the fest is canceled. All while Jerry watches the chaos from behind the tinted windows of a running limousine across the parking lot. Possibly masturbating
-
Benetti to Tigers
It's just the famous "this puts Detroit in a position to compete with us," reimagined for the current White Sox upside-down universe.
-
Benetti to Tigers
I'm a little torn here. For the most part I acknowledge losing him is bad. He was recognized nationally as an up-and-coming broadcasting star. His leaving -- especially at the low point that is offseason 2023-2024, and to a division rival -- sends a terrible message. It is yet another manifestation of FO ineptitude and organizational rot. I also appreciate that he had all the right enemies; I enjoyed watching him piss off a certain type of fan. His replacement will probably be worse (please no whining Len Kasper voice ffs). *BUT* I just never really liked him, as much as I genuinely tried. I found him annoying and corny. So I personally won't miss him that much on the broadcasts, even though I take his departure as bad news.
-
Benetti to Tigers
- Pony up!
Ditto. I'm also of the naive mindset that the team has at least a spiritual existence independent of the ownership group that is holding it hostage. My loyalty is to that team, and that laundry, and there's nothing Jerry or anyone else can do to break the bond. Even still, ended my season ticket package last year and went to two games: Opening Day (continuing a long streak) and Halfway to St. Pat's for a long-running friends/family group outing. I expect I'll continue at that level and pray that somehow the team will reward my loyalty someday.- 2023 World Series- Rangers/Dbacks
Yes and no- 2023 World Series- Rangers/Dbacks
Bruce Bochy: who knew? (Besides everyone, I mean.) I swear this season was custom-designed to torment me personally.- 2023 World Series- Rangers/Dbacks
The Womens' College Basketball Championship was pretty epic, though. Much more compelling than this World Series.- 2023 League Championship Series
To paraphrase Jerry Krause, *organizations* steal championships.- 2023 League Championship Series
Yeah - this plus being the architect of the only 21st Century baseball dynasty? Pretty good. Not, like, good-enough-for-Chicago White Sox-good but pretty damn good.- 2023 League Championship Series
I remember when many of us (myself included) regarded the Rangers with detached bemusement, sucking up all those high-priced free agents to stick on a hundred-loss team. I remember convincing myself that, sure, it would have been *nice* to have Semien, or Seager, but we didn't really *need* them, and they were just going into a black hole in Arlington. Good thing for the Rangers -- now they can ride them right into the WS while we enjoy our championship window at home.- 2023 Division Series
He could've been *our* douchebag. Sigh- 2023 League Championship Series
I felt the same way in 2019 and 2021...- 2023 League Championship Series
Oooof. Real ratings winner. At least the Phillies made it.- 2023 Division Series
The divil is a'comin' for ya!- 2023 Division Series
- 2023 Division Series
Yep - and the Dodgers have a ring, plus another one they would have won without historic cheating. They're doing just fine.- 2023 Division Series
My son did exactly this in a little league playoff game I was coaching last year. He hit a three-run homer oppo to right field where it landed clearly fair. But no line out there and no fences in a public park, so the other coach -- a d-bag who'd been whining and screaming all game -- screamed and lobbied the ump to call it foul. Which he did--while my son was rounding third getting ready to celebrate with his teammates. He had to go back to the plate with his teammates all still yelling and apoplectic that they'd had three runs taken off the board. Next pitch he put one in basically the same place, maybe a few feet further in from the "foul line." He stared down the ump as he crossed home plate, which I scolded him never to do again, but it was secretly my proudest moment ? Thanks for indulging my anonymous brag.- 2023 Division Series
I mean, they don't really have to aspire to be Toronto. They both had two playoff appearances. Sox actually had a better "run" - at least they got a division banner and a playoff win out of it.- 2023 Division Series
He was such an obvious choice it was almost comical. Til I die I'll never understand how he was not the hire. (I mean I understand, of course, but I can't believe it.)- Trevor Bauer
I think the confusion here is that @TexSox is talking about the state's power to prosecute, while @TheBooneLoganEra is talking about the practical procedure for filing a misdemeanor complaint in Illinois, which is generally initiated by a complaint from the complaining witness or police officer. But while a victim can file a complaint, @TexSox's original point is true: victims have no independent power to insist on prosecution, or "drop" prosecution. That power is in the state's hands based on the prosecutor's evaluation of the evidence (otherwise anybody could just wield the power of the state to prosecute others whenever they wanted).- Trevor Bauer
The state does not need a victim to consent or "press charges" in order to proceed with a criminal case. This is a common misconception. A prosecutor can proceed with a case regardless of whether a victim "signs off," and prosecutors will proceed without victim consent, including in domestic violence cases, and even if a victim affirmatively says they want to "drop the charge" (which they don't have the power to do.) Now, if you're just saying that the state may not *bother* bringing a minor charge where they know they won't have the cooperation of a victim, then yes -- that's accurate. But it's a matter of practicality, they are not legally barred from doing so.- Cubs Thread 2023
I mean, off the top of my head Bellinger, Swanson, Suzuki -- a third of their lineup. Stroman, Taillon: 40% of their starting rotation. That's not my point, though. If you're jealous of a barely over .500 season and missing the playoffs even the Sox might be able to satisfy you pretty easily. You can speculate about the future of any team -- hell, people were penciling the Sox into future WS two seasons ago -- but these Cubs haven't done anything yet that's impressive.- 2023 Wildcard Round
Looks like we will go down as the first true and total failure of the SuperTank era. It looked like the Phillies were headed that way but they seemed to have pulled out of their dive and salvaged a respectable run, albeit with some major FA spending we'd never dream of. - Pony up!