Sell the Team

bmags

For decades fans have been hoping and yelling for JR to sell the team. At this point, I don't know what he gets out running the White Sox, but these calls are being ignored. He never has believed he has to listen to the fans for anything.

However, if the FO has even the slightest want to keep this team as a viable franchise, I don't think it can be this arrogant anymore. There has to be some serious effort to improve the team in the offseason, or more and more fans will tune out. You can't bring back LaRussa and claim injuries were the only thing that led to a disappointing season. I really don't think that will fly. I know for sure it won't fly with me.

Actually, this would be a good time for someone or some organization to purchase the Sox. The stadium is now a little over 30 years-old, but it is in good shape, and it is a decent place to watch a game. The team is lack-luster at the moment, but still has talent. And fans would be very open to new ownership. There would be a honeymoon period.

I understand the need to call out for new ownership, but it seems so futile. Sox security will do what it can to stamp out protest. JR would do what he wants and insolate himself from the rest. Meanwhile, the team limps along like it has a pulled hamstring.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

JR should have a mantle in every room of his homes dedicated to Michael Jordan. 

If he didn't inherit him when he bought the Bulls, he would be sitting on 1 Championship in almost 80 combined years as a pro franchise owner.

Great point! Jerry lucked out big time...all because of a colossal all time draft mistake in 1984, when the Portland Trail Blazers picked Sam Bowie #2 instead of Michael Jordan, who the Bulls got as a miracle gift with the #3 pick! 

I'd even get excited is JR let his kid run the team. Rocky Wirtz watched his father and learned what not to do.

Maybe MR would do the same. The only reason I mention this is because when you're 86 years old, it's tough

to get excited about any thing. Selling the White Sox would take JRs last reason to get up in the morning away.

If Michael were to take over it would still be in the family. And let's face it, Michael might make changes. I can't

imagine JR ever changing anything.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Listened to a bit of Hit and Run this morning. Sox fans are more pissed than I’ve ever heard them.  Great to hear, but it still shocks me every time someone says Hahn isn’t part of the problem.  He might have the greatest publicist ever.

JR effectively gave him cover by pulling off the TLR hire.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Great point! Jerry lucked out big time...all because of a colossal all time draft mistake in 1984, when the Portland Trail Blazers picked Sam Bowie #2 instead of Michael Jordan, who the Bulls got as a miracle gift with the #3 pick! 

They already had Jim Paxson and Clyde Drexler at SG.  Who needs a third shooting guard? 😁

10 minutes ago, zisk said:

I'd even get excited is JR let his kid run the team. Rocky Wirtz watched his father and learned what not to do.

Maybe MR would do the same. The only reason I mention this is because when you're 86 years old, it's tough

to get excited about any thing. Selling the White Sox would take JRs last reason to get up in the morning away.

If Michael were to take over it would still be in the family. And let's face it, Michael might make changes. I can't

imagine JR ever changing anything.

I've been beating this drum for awhile now! Michael would definitely make big changes. Many owners have and do own multiple teams and had great success running two teams. Michael could easily handle both by just finding some stud president of baseball ops like the Dodgers found in Andrew Freidman. Michael does right now letting Arturas Karnisovas run his Bulls.

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Bill Wirtz >>>>>>>>>>>> Rocky Wirtz

Bill Wirtz (and Dale Tallon) built the Stanley Cup team, did not aid and abet a serial child rapist.

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Fuck that clown show and station. You need actual experienced competent people.

Also, La Russa is either managing or staying in the Front Office as long as Jerry breathes.

• 3 months later...

It's time for Jerry to sell IMO.  He is not rich enough to play the game in today's environment.  It's not his fault as I see it since he has been in the top third of ML payrolls.  If he had been smarter about hiring the right baseball executives (see Tampa Bay) there was a chance.  Lots of people wish they could retire rich like JR... but there is rich and rich enough to own an MLB team in today's game.

• Like 1

I just don't waste my time even thinking or hoping about this.  Reinsdorf is an older man and with the stepped up basis tax rules that we currently have there is no way he sells the team.  He will pass it to his heirs when he dies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Folks, if you want to get absolutely nothing out of your money, please send it this way.  I will even be willing to send pics of me enjoying it.

This is a family site....please be careful what pics you post.

• Haha 4

Doesn't 75% of the revenue generated from this sale disappear first when he sells and second when he dies.

It's a stupid narrative that needs to go away.  Same reason Wirtz doesn't sell nor the Halas family. 

When you sell a sports franchise it needs to be part of a larger entity that is losing money to offset the tax hit. 

Something like that. 

JR is not going to sell the team as long as he's living. He could care less how many tell him to sell the team. He doesn't care about any of us White Sox fans. Some of you   younger people have no idea how close he came to moving the team to Florida. If former Illinois Governor Jim Thompson hadn't stepped in at the last moment JR was going to move the team to Florida. Ironically it would have been the biggest mistake of his life. The Tampa Bay Rays have already gone thru 4 different ownerships. Their lease runs out in a few years and if they don't get another stadium  somewhere in Tampa that team is going to move.