Sell the Team

bmags

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

I would take any new money billionaire that is buying the franchise to win vs make more money.  Someone that sees the untapped potential and is willing to invest in making the Sox a top tier franchise.  

Eh, let's slow the roll. I don't think I'd take any crypto billionaire at the moment.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I would take any new money billionaire that is buying the franchise to win vs make more money.  Someone that sees the untapped potential and is willing to invest in making the Sox a top tier franchise.  

I want someone who wants to make more money! The White Sox are in the 3rd biggest media market in the country and they’re a minor player in the entertainment business there. Their ballpark is only 60% full and their ad sales are often niche businesses (US Cellular? Guaranteed Rate?) Their franchise value is inflated by the media market being present, but it’s completely underutilized. I don’t think they need to be stupid about spending, but at the same time there’s substantial money being left on the table by how they run the team. There’s no reason why this franchise cant grow from 15th to 9th in MLB franchise value over the next decade if it is run well and regularly competitive, and that would be worth a billion dollars or more to a new ownership group.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Elon would be great since there would be a stupid amount of money thrown around. I don't think he's shown any inclination to own a sports team though and no ties to Chicago. Cuban is the dream then, but Jerry would never sell to him.

Elon would be a disaster. The Sox are in bad enough shape without this guy making things worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The richest man in the world coming in and firing every last employee the Sox currently have sounds like just what the doctor ordered tbqh.

Firing or forcing people out also requires hiring of better replacements.  Not something I would want to entrust to Musk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

46 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I want someone who wants to make more money! The White Sox are in the 3rd biggest media market in the country and they’re a minor player in the entertainment business there. Their ballpark is only 60% full and their ad sales are often niche businesses (US Cellular? Guaranteed Rate?) Their franchise value is inflated by the media market being present, but it’s completely underutilized. I don’t think they need to be stupid about spending, but at the same time there’s substantial money being left on the table by how they run the team. There’s no reason why this franchise cant grow from 15th to 9th in MLB franchise value over the next decade if it is run well and regularly competitive, and that would be worth a billion dollars or more to a new ownership group.

Oh I completely agree.  I just want an owner that actually wants to win at baseball over make more money thorough baseball at the expense of winning.  There is no reason new ownership can’t do both and give the shitty Cubs a run for their money in this town. 

• Like 1

Speaking of selling, didn't see this posted.

Yesterday some Sox fans started a Go Fund Me page wanting to put up a billboard near U.S. Cellular Field telling JR to sell the Sox.

They hoped to raise enough money to have the billboard up for two months.

In six hours not only did they raise enough for the billboard but now they are thinking about either having a second billboard put up or extending the original billboard from two months to four months.

Full disclosure: I gave five dollars.

Highest contribution so far is 100 dollars from a Sox fan.

• Fire 2

Of course the billboard is not going to affect JR one way or another, but that shouldn’t be a reason not to support it. We throw away more money any given day on non essential nonsense.

You know what else is a waste of time? Posting here. Whats the use on discussing anything anyway, what is it going to accomplish!?! And consider the time many have devoted here. Literally 20 years for myself lol. 

This billboard is our way of protest. It’ll probably get some social media exposure. Maybe an article or two is written about it, drawing more attention to the issue. We’ve already seen what the power of fan disapproval can do with the cancellation of Soxfest. And please don’t be naive enough to think it’s because of anything involving a venue or players schedules. That whole topic was memory holed fairly quickly without a decent explanation. 

• Like 2

The Sox franchise is stronger now...much stronger than when Reinsdorf took over. And it is not even close.  That's just a fact.  There are 30MLB teams to compete with on the field and many of them are either major market teams, or teams that have over-performed with respect to their market size, like the Rays , KC, or the Cardinals - teams you cannot count on beating in certain years or out-bidding for FA.  Did anyone really expect Judge, Correa, Trea Turner to sign here?

The measure of a successful franchise over time is stability. That is why the Cubs have many fans even though they barely won one WS in well over 100 years.  Any calls from cub fans or Ricketts to sell?  Any signs outside of Wrigley?  What is with this circular firing squad on the South side about ? Cry babies wanting to win by having an owner who throw money at player contracts every year like a drunken sailor?  And what is the true value of winning when the championship has to  be bought and paid for? That is a larger question for mlb to address.

• Haha 3
  • TLR 3

3 minutes ago, tray said:

The Sox franchise is stronger now...much stronger than when Reinsdorf took over. And it is not even close.  That's just a fact.  There are 30MLB teams to compete with on the field and many of them are either major market teams, or teams that have over-performed with respect to their market size, like the Rays , KC, or the Cardinals - teams you cannot count on beating in certain years or out-bidding for FA.  Did anyone really expect Judge, Correa, Trea Turner to sign here?

The measure of a successful franchise over time is stability. That is why the Cubs have many fans even though they barely won one WS in well over 100 years.  Any calls from cub fans or Ricketts to sell?  Any signs outside of Wrigley?  What is with this circular firing squad on the South side about ? Cry babies wanting to win by having an owner who throw money at player contracts every year like a drunken sailor?  And what is the true value of winning when the championship has to  be bought and paid for? That is a larger question for mlb to address.

All time loser post.

You're saying fans are cry babies for wanting to win.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, tray said:

Every single MLB franchise is stronger because they all collectively reap the benefits of the teams that do spend money.  Teams that win.  

TV money, Advertisements, Concessions, Parking - it makes it almost impossible not to turn a big profit.  Thats why the Sox and every single team is stronger.  Its not because Reinsdorf did something.  He is a smart business man who had the money to buy a team and now is reaping the benefits.  

The measure of a successful franchise is winning.  That's why they play the game.  And the Sox haven't won enough, period.  

There is a reason why teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, Padres, Astros, etc are constantly in the playoffs.  They spend money to win.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1