Chicago White Sox
Members
-
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Currently
Viewing Forum: Pale Hose Talk
Everything posted by Chicago White Sox
-
Edwin Encarnacion
I definitely think one of Collins or McCann is gone. I’d rather hold onto to Zack though as he’s a buyer fit for the lineup and is controllable. Given that Grandal should easily start 110 to 120 games, I think we can survive Collins as our backup catcher even if he’s still a work-in-process defensively.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
I’m going to be really fucking pumped if we land Encarnación. Awesome hitter who can handle both LHP & RHP and will come at a very reasonable price. Smart GMs take advantage of market discrepancies and there simply aren’t many contending teams in need of a DH right now. The Sox will go from the worst DH production in all of baseball to possibly top 3 with no multi year commitment. I really do like Zack Collins, but adding EE is a no-brainer and makes our lineup that much more dangerous in 2020.
-
Keuchel to Sox, 3 years, 55.55 million; 4th year team option
Sounds like 160 innings in both years, which is far from a certainty and something that can very much be managed in 2022. Hell, by 2022 I’m hoping he’s our clear #4 starter behind Giolito, Kopech, Cease, & Dunning. If so, just skip him on a few off days and he’ll be below 160 innings.
-
Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread
What? His option was basically the same amount for 2020 as the entire deal he just signed for both 2020 & 2021.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
You’re right, I forgot he had reverse splits.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
Maybe Pillar or Maybin? Don’t think either guy will cost much and add far more certainty than Engel, who can then serve as minor league depth.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
A prove it deal doesn’t sound ideal when he’d potentially have draft pick compensation tied to him next year.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
I agree with James. Doesn’t make a ton of sense me. Encarnación seems pretty much wrapped. I do think they’ll add a platoon partner for Mazara though, but one far cheaper. I don’t think they view Engel as a viable option and I’m guessing they prefer Leury is a true super utility role.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
Monday & Tuesday according to Heyman.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
There is zero chance they release Mazara between now and opening day short of some negative off field activity.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
I can’t really see us adding both. I mean, financially it’s totally doable and I guess you could still get Mazara a decent amount of playing time by spelling Castellanos, Jimenez, Abreu, & Encarnación, but you’d be making a major commitment to Nicky’s ability to play a competent RF as the DH spot would be mostly blocked going forward.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
Promising sign here...should happen before New Year’s and hopefully sooner.
-
Remaining Wish List
God you are a joke.
-
Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M
I’m sorry, but you’ve gone off the rails with this post. Outside of Keuchel, none of our additions could even be argued as “backs-against-the-wall, win now” moves. Grandal is one of top two or three catchers in baseball and solved numerous needs for us. He was a tremendous addition even if you want to argue we’re still a year away. Gonzalez provides cheap SP depth that this team desperately needed if you followed the team at all last and does so for $6M. A guy like Mazara is the exact oppose of a “win now” move. And buying a 2 to 3 win DH for 1/$10M is the definition of efficiency. So basically you are upset that Sox spent $55M guaranteed on a low ceiling starter in Keuchel when elite guys were available and have now decided to go on this bizarre tangent where you claim everything we’ve done has railroaded our rebuild. Trying to argue blocking Collins is somehow this egregious offense is funny to me. I actually like Collins as a prospect, but he not a guy who should just be handed a job, especially with Vaughn right around the corner. Smart organizations would use him as a versatile bench piece or as minor league depth if they have any realistic chance of competing. The Yankees did not hesitate bumping a much higher regarded prospect in Frazier down to AAA to add the same 2 to 3 win DH we’re looking at now. I’m sure you’re response will be we’re not ready to compete and that’s fine if you want to make that argument. But the front office believes the clock is starting to tick with Moncada & Giolito only left with four years of control and wants to have a roster in place that can win the worst division in baseball if our young guys take big enough steps forward in their development next year. The Twins executed this such plan to perfection last year without any elite free agents and there is reason to believe we can do the same. If you’re going to be critical of our individual moves, at least do so under this lens. Just don’t argue they’ve pushed all their chips in and that they’re all win at all costs moves.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
What’s your proposed lineup against RHP if we sign Encarnación? Go with what you’d do and not what think Ricky would do. Here’s my ideal lineup: Anderson, SS Moncada, 3B# Encarnacion, DH Jimenez, LF Grandal, C# Abreu, 1B Robert, CF Mazara, RF* Madrigal, 2B I might flip-flop Robert & Anderson depending on which version of Tim we get. And yes, I know Abreu will be hitting 3rd despite being one our worst hitters against RHP.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
Encarnacion only requires a one year commitment while Castellanos will require four.
-
Offseason 2019-2020 MLB Catch All Thread
Nothing wrong with depth. Let Mendick be AAA insurance once Madrigal gets called up.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
Let’s say we sign EE, here are the 2019 wRC+ against RHP for our projected regulars along with their wRC+ against LHP in parentheses: Moncada = 148 (122) Anderson = 132 (124) Encarnacion = 121 (152) Jimenez = 120 (107) Grandal = 114 (138) Mazara = 110 (55) Abreu = 99 (168) Throw in Robert & Madrigal and that’s the making of a very good, balanced lineup. Everyone but Mazara and to a lesser extent Abreu should play everyday. Nomar clearly needs a platoon partner against LHP and Abreu could use some rest against tough righties. IMO, the addition of EE would make Collins a much better fit from an offensive perspective than McCann as he’d allow us to spell Abreu far more frequently with a left-handed bat. And come next year Vaughn slides into EE’s spot and hopefully you don’t miss a beat. To me, that’s a superior plan than going out and adding Castellanos on what will likely be a four year deal.
-
Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M
I really don’t buy this rumor. I still think EE will be our big bat addition plus someone who can start at 2B.
-
Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M
If we signed Castellanos, he and Mazara would split time at RF & DH. If Nomar failed, Collins or Mercedes would become the interim DH with Nick the regular RF.
-
Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M
Why don’t you like EE?
-
Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M
I don’t see that happening. I think it’s pretty clear that we’re adding at least one bat that can help at DH and/or RF.
-
Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M
He had a 130 wRC+ in 2018.
-
Castellanos to Reds , rumored 4/64M
Are you talking about Castellanos? If so, he doesn’t cost a pick because he was traded mid-season.
-
Edwin Encarnacion
His attitude is not overstated whatsoever. Seems like you care more about getting brand names than the White Sox sinning baseball games.