Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ChiSoxFanMike

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ChiSoxFanMike

  1. QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 10:06 AM) He'll start Sunday. I think they wanted to keep it open just in case he got in the game Tuesday and wanted to have an option. Personally, I would have had him starting in 3 hours, but that's just me. Is this confirmed or just speculation?
  2. QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 09:30 AM) Doubt that is true. Doesn't DRob have 3 years left on his deal after this year and $30+ million owed to him? I just don't see a team taking on his full contract unless they're REALLY desperate for relievers.
  3. QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 07:14 AM) Another theory. They're trying out Montas on MLB pitching to see how he holds his own. If he does well, they'll try him out in the closer role and move Robertson to a contender before the deadline. No one will take on Robertson's contract unless the Sox pick up most up the money. That's not worth it. The Sox should keep him for now.
  4. QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 09:10 AM) Hahn said this morning on the radio that Sale will likely start on Sunday. He said he feels great and is ready to go. So TIFWIW That's a good sign. However, Sale seems like the type that wants the ball every time out even when he isn't fully healthy, so hopefully he isn't pitching hurt.
  5. QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 04:47 PM) Wish we had a history with Eric Byrnes. He's absolutely ridiculous but I love every second of it. Also...I Imagine Hawk and Byrnes as a tandem....wow lol.
  6. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:45 PM) He is nursing some sort of pain, and they are waiting it out. If this was just rest, they would have already set the date. That's what I've been thinking as well. It just seems fishy to me that they're giving him extra rest after he's already been off for a week, but who knows at this point.
  7. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:41 PM) Exactly. So instead of telling the fan base not to buy tickets because he isn't going to pitch soon, they are leaving the door open that he might be pitching sooner. Honestly the fact that they still haven't set a date yet tells me everything I need to know. and that would be?
  8. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:33 PM) Why? Do you go advertising your shortfalls to your competitors? No. You advertise your commodity to your fanbase. People want to see Sale pitch, so I think that it would be in the Sox best interests to let us know when he'll pitch again so we can get tickets. He is the best moneymaker the Sox currently have. They'd be stupid to not take advantage of it.
  9. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:19 PM) I believe if there was no worry at all, he'd be pitching ASAP. There is at least some level of fear if they are giving him 7 days rest, even if it is just maintenance related. You'd think they'd announce if he's injured or something. It seems odd that they're being so quiet about it.
  10. QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:08 PM) Dumb if true. This is the biggest series of the year so far. Exactly. If the Sox lose 3/4 or get swept, forget it. Then the trades would start coming.
  11. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:01 PM) The Score is reporting it. Off day Monday would give him a 10 day break, just like skipping a start. What's the point of skipping him right now though? He's already been off for a week, and they need to beat KC if they want to be in contention.
  12. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:38 PM) It looks like even though he didn't pitch in the ASG, Sale still will sit out the entire KC series. Where did you see this? I'm hoping he's not hurt.
  13. I really hope he does, but I think he'll end up in the 270-280 range.
  14. QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 11:49 AM) The only guy I really like is DJ. He's my least favorite actually. My favorites in order are Hawk, Stone, Farmer, and then DJ.
  15. QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 11:23 AM) Hawk will die in the booth (maybe not literally), and I am sure that is the way he wants to go. Until he becomes senile, I doubt the Sox take his job away. This has already started to happen, but I still love him.
  16. Hawk has to stay until he dies.
  17. QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 10:43 AM) Gonna go with yes, but not in a Sox uni. Not saying they trade him now but when he is able to hit open market, they won't pay what it'll take to keep him. Which would suck. I want him to stay a White Sock for life.
  18. QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 10:23 AM) Just playing with the numbers in the Bill James favorite toy app: If Sale strikes out 100 more batters this year, his chance to strike out 3000 batters jumps to 44%. Sale doesn't have a track record to strike out 4000 batters . . . yet. If he does strike out 100 more batters this year, he will have a 13% chance to strike out 4000 batters. Just for giggles: King Felix has a 34% chance at striking out 4000 and a 6% chance at striking out 5000! Regarding the single-season strikeout rate record, Chris Sale's current season strikeout rate, 11.84 K/9 IP ranks #10 all-time behind 1999 Pedro Martinez, 1998 Kerry Wood, 2013 Yu Darvish, and six seasons worth of Randy Johnson. The 2015 version of Clayton Kershaw ranks 12th all-time—he's at 11.70 K/9 IP. Chris Archer, this year, at 10.87, ranks #26 all-time. A trio of Cleveland's finest, Danny Salazar (10.58—34th all-time), Corey Kluber (10.39—47th all-time), and Carlos Carrasco (10.14—64th all-time) are also having all-time great seasons. There are a few others: Max Scherzer (10.23—59th), James Shields (10.11—68th), and Francisco Liriano (9.81—90th). Randy Johnson's best is from 2001, 13.41 K /9 IP. Chris Sale isn't unique; baseball seems to be experiencing a significant uptick in strikeouts these days. He's just the best. And he pitches for the White Sox. How cool is that. Very insightful post. Thank you very much for taking all the time to look up that information. I appreciate it.
  19. QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 01:27 PM) Well yeah, considering that only 4 people have ever done it, I'd say it's really hard for anybody. Exactly haha. But Sale has the talent to do it. I just don't think he'll pitch long enough.
  20. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 12:50 PM) Some of that is ballpark corrected though since Felix pitches in Seattle. Houston isn't a pitcher's park, so Keuchel will have a stronger case if he's leading the ERA list. The Cell isn't a pitchers park either in my opinion.
  21. QUOTE (Condor13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:55 AM) I see him having a very small chance but still a chance at getting to 4000 Ks but he has to keep up his current pace 4000 K's is going to be really hard for him to get to unless he pitches into his 40's IMO.
  22. Why should Konerko not even be considered? He was the face of the franchise for 15+ years and is 2nd to Thomas in almost all the important offensive categories in White Sox history.
  23. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:46 AM) I am having a hard time squinting hard enough to see Chris Sale getting to the 3000ish IP that he would need to do this. That is 15 years as a 200 IP per year starter. I know he hasn't had issues yet, but he is at just under 800 IP now, which means he still needs 11 more years of 200 IP per year. Yeah, I don't see that happening. If he continues at this pace, he'll only need 2700 or 2800 IP to get to 3000. But I get your point.
  24. QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:31 AM) The math would indicate he'll easily get 3000 K's if he makes 300 starts over the next 10 years. If he stays healthy and pitches to 38-39, he'll get over 3500 for sure. I guess it really depends how long he wants to pitch. The sky is the limit statistics wise for him as long as he stays healthy.
  25. I know 3000 K's is a really hard thing for a pitcher to accomplish in this day and age, but do you guys think that Sale could do it? He's at just about 900 through his age 26 season. He'll probably be closer to 1000 by the time that the season ends. I think the only current players that are locks to get 3000 K's are Felix Hernandez and Kershaw. I figured that this would be a nice discussion on an off day with no Sox baseball.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.