Everything posted by OmarComing25
-
Adam LaRoche retires
Rabbit mentioned going after Coghlan on Twitter. .271/.345/.449 over past 3 seasons against RHP. Should be relatively cheap to acquire.
-
Adam LaRoche retires
QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:52 PM) Yep, I think he would be a good fit for this team and I would rather not have to give up any of our top 10 prospects I'd be shocked if it took one of our top 10 prospects to get Bruce. It should be a nothing prospect.
-
What to make of Avi's start
QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:42 PM) Fair enough but I'm not sure if Appel would be that high of a price at this point, he was traded for a developing closer this offseason and not even one-for-one but part of a seven-player package. At this point I think Appel is nearing reclamation status like Gavin Floyd when he was with the Phillies. Giles is a lot better than you're giving him credit for.
-
Adam LaRoche retires
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:36 PM) Well, from a baseball perspective, Avi Garcia/Melky Cabrera just penciled in as your everyday DH. Austin Jackson signing just became very important as he's now penciled in as a starter. Jackson was going to start regardless.
-
What to make of Avi's start
QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 12:51 PM) Garcia's 2015 batting average by month: April: .309 May: .333 June: .181 July: .253 August: .278 September: .208 He hit well the first two months due to having an unsustainably high .400+ BABIP. His power numbers were the same as they were the rest of the year. It was easy to predict the ensuing dropoff.
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 09:20 AM) They don't know what they are committing to, anyway. I just don't think Arrieta is going to be second half 2015 ever again. If he were that good and you have the Cubs budget, you sign the Ace pitcher and deal with the bad years. The Cubs are at least skeptical he can repeat his success in 2016. Well of course he's not going to repeat the lowest ERA in any half of baseball in history, that's a pretty safe assumption. He doesn't have to repeat 2015, a 2.25-2.50 ERA would still put him among the very top starters in baseball. I don't think it's skepticism, if Arrieta was willing to do a 4-year extension I think the Cubs would be all over that. 7 years is just too much.
-
Putnam and Petricka both have small injuries
I had always heard that stretching before physical activity is more harmful than beneficial, but that stretching afterwards is important. This is interesting.
-
Soxtalk Bracket Challenge
In
-
Latos will NOT start Saturday
QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 02:56 PM) I could care less about stats in spring for pitchers. Just get your work in and get ready. I think Q had an era over 15 in 2014 ST. Doesn't matter. Kershaw had an ERA over 9 in spring training in 2014.
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 02:40 PM) For sure. The Cubs front office clearly doesn't believe in him and it could definitely cost them. Not sure how refusing to give a pitcher a 7-year extension that will carry him through his age 38 season means the front office doesn't believe in him. It's generally not a good idea to give any pitcher a long-term deal in his mid-30s, especially one where you are paying him $30-35 million a year. Even if Arrieta puts up the same exact season as 2015 this year, he still wouldn't be worth that deal. Pitchers are just too risky.
-
Backup 2B?
QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:33 AM) Lawrie is going to have to play 3B whenever Frazier needs a day off, so the backup 2B will have to effectively spell two players. And if LaRoche ever goes on the DL, Frazier is the only one with ample playing time at 1B, so that would mean Lawrie plays 3B on those days as well. Saladino played a stellar 3B last year, Lawrie isn't the only backup 3B.
-
Backup 2B?
QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 11:22 AM) Among the players expected to make the 25-man roster, who is projected to be second on the depth chart at 2B? I don't think that Rollins has played there in over a decade and Saladino has had very limited time there in the minors. I can't imagine that they'd give Sanchez a roster spot simply to spell Lawrie at 2B. Saladino should be able to handle it fine, I'm not worried about it.
-
Latos will NOT start Saturday
QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 14, 2016 -> 09:42 AM) I'm not referring to tweets Then what are you referring to? Here are some quotes that I found: I see nothing to be concerned about there, in fact I'm more encouraged than discouraged. He was just trying to hit his spots, which it sounds like he did. The results don't matter.
-
NCAA basketball 2015-16 thread
Big Ten seeds all seem low. Indiana a 5?
-
White Sox Spring Team Offensive Stats (as of 3/10)
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/111172938/do...-than-you-think Spring training stats mostly don't matter, but ST ISO actually does show some positive correlation with the regular season, so the homeruns are definitely encouraging.
-
How many strikeouts do you think Chris Sale will have in 2016?
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 12:27 PM) The talk is they want him pitching a bit more to contact. I am going to go with 235. Why though? Do they think the increase in Ks was part of the reason for his career worst ERA (as in he focused too much on getting the strikeout)? I don't buy it, he greatly increased his strikeouts from 2013 to 2014 and had by far his lowest ERA. Do they want him to throw fewer pitches? The defense is improved, but it's still far from great, so the fewer balls put in play, the better.
-
Official 2016 Soxtalk White Sox win total prediction thread
QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 12:19 PM) The thing about Sale is that he's never been consistently excellent in August and September, like he's often been in the first half of the season. So it's not like you're not going to be missing the dominant Sale by occasionally sitting him at that point in the season. Assuming that he's falling into a dead arm period in the late summer, I'd rather he skip 1-3 starts between August and September. (This, of course, assumes that Fulmer and Johnson can put up above-average performances, and/or that Latos is healthy.) Nah I agree with Balta. We need to be able to rely on Sale for 220 IP at some point if we want to make the playoffs, so sitting him isn't going to make that happen. Plus you're underselling Sale. His career ERA in August is 3.06, and while he tends to struggle in September his career ERA in that month is still 3.63, which is likely to be better than what we'll get from anyone replacing him. And I don't think sitting him is the way to get him to pitch better in September.
-
Spring training 3/10 SS: Royals vs White Sox, white sox vs Rangers
Could this be the year Q finally gets 10 wins?
-
Bryce Harper speaks truth about baseball's unwritten rules
QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 11:13 AM) To me, there's never been a suppression of genuine emotion when the time is right. Hit a walkoff hit? Go crazy. Clinch a playoff spot? Pile on the mound. It's a cliche at this point, but baseball is a game of failure played almost every day for six months. If you're blowing your wad emotionally every time something good happens, it loses its appeal. I agree, there's plenty of expressed emotion in the game already. Bautista's batflip against the Rangers wouldn't have been nearly as cool if he did something like that after every HR he hit.
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
Could it be he really wants to test FA and just threw out an obviously ridiculous number? His stock will never be higher than right now after the year he just had, so if you're going to shoot for the moon, why not.
-
2016 MLB catch all thread
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 04:30 PM) The O's have to be one of the worst constructive teams I've seen in a while. Talk about whiff city. Brutal given the money they spent this off-season. I don't think the strikeouts will be that big of a deal, that offense will score a lot of runs. They have a pretty good bullpen too. Their starting rotation is just brutal though, could be the worst in baseball.
-
3/9 vs A's
QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 02:42 PM) I think they would like to keep him around but I'm not sure that there is room. Who do you leave out out of this group to make room for Turner? Robertson Putnam Petricka Albers Jennings Jones Duke Yeah unless we trade one of the above I don't see a great fit for Turner. I think Kahnle is very much in the mix as well.
-
Official 2016 Soxtalk White Sox win total prediction thread
84
-
Misc. Sox Quotes & Tweets
From his chat today: Dave Cameron: The Jackson and Rollins signings could end up being pretty important, though. Those two probably add something like three wins to the White Sox ledger over what the team had. 11:57 Dave Cameron: They still need one more starting pitcher, I think, but the White Sox have a chance to be good this year. If usually pessimistic on the White Sox Dave Cameron is being optimistic about the team's chances this year, that's a good sign.
-
Spring training 3/8: brewers vs White Sox 2:05 start
QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 04:15 PM) IIRC, we've usually sucked in ST. Then that translated to bad starts in April. Hopefully this year is different. Since 2003 we've had a winning record twice ('03 and '04) and were .500 once (2013). Outside of those three seasons the Sox have been mostly brutal record-wise. 2 of the worst ST records came in '06 and '08, so it probably won't matter, but it's nice to see regardless.