White Sox players protested in Seattle

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
This distraction argument never holds any water. When Drake LaRoche was a major distraction, the team started out 23-10. Only after that did the wheels fall off (no noticeable distractions). You're trying and failing to connect two things that don't matter.

Baseball players are human beings. They don't only focus on baseball. If they feel like this Mariners system is a scam (it is), I applaud them for acting.

Well they should. They should only do and think about one thing, ever!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
Why don't the Rangers, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Indians, Orioles or Astros care enough about this issue to protest?

I guess we win the most politically active/protesting award for the AL this year.

Why didn't the Twins, Angels and Rays protest? It doesn't mean they are a good team because they didn't protest.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
Nobody has ever complained it was unfair to pay Keppinger, Bonifacio, Rollins or Morneau, etc., those salaries.

On the other hand, Alexei was underpaid quite clearly...until they corrected it.

At any rate, it continues the emerging storyline the Sox are not focused due to peripheral/off the field issues, when getting back into the Wild Card race would have been the sole driver for a winning organization. All we seem to get these days are distractions, and not entirely positive ones.

So all they should do is concentrate on their job and not anything else. Actually, paying clubbies, IS PART OF THEIR JOB. How idiotic they want to make sure the money is going where they intend it to be going. What complete morons and idiots.

How come you don't live by this credo?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
So all they should do is concentrate on their job and not anything else. Actually, paying clubbies, IS PART OF THEIR JOB. How idiotic they want to make sure the money is going where they intend it to be going. What complete morons and idiots.

Let's just put Eaton in charge of the entire union if he's such a fighter for injustice...that way the White Sox can make up for JR's waning influence.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
Let's just put Eaton in charge of the entire union if he's such a fighter for injustice...that way the White Sox can make up for JR's waning influence.

Eaton has been playing pretty well. Sale has been pitching pretty well when they let him. It doesn't appear their 5 minute meeting in Seattle screwed them up much, but then again, those are facts. You don't want anything to do with facts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)

Actually it isn't part of their job. They have zero contractual obligation to do so. It is tradition, sure, but not a part of their job.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
Actually it isn't part of their job. They have zero contractual obligation to do so. It is tradition, sure, but not a part of their job.

It is the non contractual obligation part of their job.

I'm sure the clubbies got paid, and I am also sure the Mariners will make sure the Sox know they didn't do what they wanted them to do the next time they are in town.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
It is the non contractual obligation part of their job.

I'm sure the clubbies got paid, and I am also sure the Mariners will make sure the Sox know they didn't do what they wanted them to do the next time they are in town.

That is a pretty loose leap. It is like tipping in a restaurant. All you actually owe is what is on your bill. Sure, from the sounds of it this is what is always done, but at the same time if they said 60% goes back to management, would you think twice about it? That is all this is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
That is a pretty loose leap. It is like tipping in a restaurant. All you actually owe is what is on your bill. Sure, from the sounds of it this is what is always done, but at the same time if they said 60% goes back to management, would you think twice about it? That is all this is.

Good point. In restaurants, this is protected by law. If the MLB would recognize that clubbies operate on tips, they would theoretically be protected.

Here is why the players are wrong.

Having been on the management side of a similar issue here are the things that jumped out at me.

Underaged employees working overtime.

Who employs them? It sounds like the club hires them and the clubhouse manager pays them. I am shocked that system is still around in 2016. They may be taking 60% but they are also paying for the food, which was probably close to that or more.

Here is how it should be.

The visiting team is responsible for the food and drink for the players. The players should not be paying $50 a day for that. The home club employs and pays a decent salary to the employees responsible to assure the meals are there. If the players wish to tip the employees, they may. But the employee shouldn't be personally collecting meal money and paying for the meals, that is a club responsibility. It should also be the club's responsibility to manage employees including payroll, not the club house manager. The players are protecting a seriously flawed system from 100 years ago.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
Here is why the players are wrong.

Having been on the management side of a similar issue here are the things that jumped out at me.

Underaged employees working overtime.

Who employs them? It sounds like the club hires them and the clubhouse manager pays them. I am shocked that system is still around in 2016. They may be taking 60% but they are also paying for the food, which was probably close to that or more.

Here is how it should be.

The visiting team is responsible for the food and drink for the players. The players should not be paying $50 a day for that. The home club employs and pays a decent salary to the employees responsible to assure the meals are there. If the players wish to tip the employees, they may. But the employee shouldn't be personally collecting meal money and paying for the meals, that is a club responsibility. It should also be the club's responsibility to manage employees including payroll, not the club house manager. The players are protecting a seriously flawed system from 100 years ago.

The clubhouse manager is employed by the club and is the representative of the club handling all of this. What does it matter if its the assistant GM or the clubhouse manager running it, from the legal standpoint?

The Sox players just want it to remain status quo and to be sure that the money atays in the clubhouse and that management isn't going to do something unfair. Of course there is no guarantee that the clubhouse manager isn't doing the same thing. However, the players would be more likely to hear about from the clubbies if this were the case.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
The clubhouse manager is employed by the club and is the representative of the club handling all of this. What does it matter if its the assistant GM or the clubhouse manager running it, from the legal standpoint?

The Sox players just want it to remain status quo and to be sure that the money atays in the clubhouse and that management isn't going to do something unfair. Of course there is no guarantee that the clubhouse manager isn't doing the same thing. However, the players would be more likely to hear about from the clubbies if this were the case.

From the sound of it the clubhouse manager has employees, some are underage kids, on "his" payroll. These assistants are not on the club's payroll but on one of their employee's payroll probably paying them in cash. The clubhouse manager also has personal accounts receivable and payable to deal with for the food and beverages.

I'm going to speculate here but I remember old stories about Babe Ruth sending a clubhouse kid to restaurants to get him some food.

This is similar to how some private country clubs run their pro shops. They hire a professional and the pro runs the shop as his business. He buys the merchandise, cart fleet, hires staff and creates a payroll. But that model is being replaced almost everywhere.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
From the sound of it the clubhouse manager has employees, some are underage kids, on "his" payroll. These assistants are not on the club's payroll but on one of their employee's payroll probably paying them in cash. The clubhouse manager also has personal accounts receivable and payable to deal with for the food and beverages.

I'm going to speculate here but I remember old stories about Babe Ruth sending a clubhouse kid to restaurants to get him some food.

This is similar to how some private country clubs run their pro shops. They hire a professional and the pro runs the shop as his business. He buys the merchandise, cart fleet, hires staff and creates a payroll. But that model is being replaced almost everywhere.

That sounds right. Im not sure how much money or tips the kids would get in the pro shop but the baseball players give them a great deal of money and they want to make sure it goes to the kids and other clubbies.

I think much of this has to do with sale and eaton being anti management and don't want them to influence even more things in the clubhouse. The money is all for the clubhouse and it all should stay in the clubhouse in their view. The management should stay out of it.

Management should be out of the tips. Management should be in the procurement of the food and paying salaries and setting workplace rules. Which is what the M's seem to be trying to do. Why should the player's care who pays the food vendor? Using the restaurant analogy your waiter would be buying the food from a vendor, paying the bus boy, paying the bartender, etc.

Understand that Eaton said the Indians and other have voiced concerns about what the Mariners have done. Glad to see the Sox sticking up for the folks who often are underlooked.

Also that there are a bunch of signed checks ready to be sent to those people in Seattle.

Thought the Sox handled this the right way and forced the situation so that it will now be talked about in the next CBA.

Good job!

Mark

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
That sounds right. Im not sure how much money or tips the kids would get in the pro shop but the baseball players give them a great deal of money and they want to make sure it goes to the kids and other clubbies.

I think much of this has to do with sale and eaton being anti management and don't want them to influence even more things in the clubhouse. The money is all for the clubhouse and it all should stay in the clubhouse in their view. The management should stay out of it.

Having worked in a pro shop, the kids kept all tips they got.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Management should be out of the tips. Management should be in the procurement of the food and paying salaries and setting workplace rules. Which is what the M's seem to be trying to do. Why should the player's care who pays the food vendor? Using the restaurant analogy your waiter would be buying the food from a vendor, paying the bus boy, paying the bartender, etc.

Part of it is the management arbitrarily saying that 60% goes to the management for food and only 40% stays in the clubhouse.They may think thats a little light and management it sticking their nose in a players transaction.

I'm also sure that the players do care who pays and orders the food as again its a clubhouse activity and it should all stay there.

I'm not saying it's necessarily right but from being in the clubhouses, the players get very protective of the clubbies

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
Part of it is the management arbitrarily saying that 60% goes to the management for food and only 40% stays in the clubhouse.They may think thats a little light and management it sticking their nose in a players transaction.

I'm also sure that the players do care who pays and orders the food as again its a clubhouse activity and it should all stay there.

I'm not saying it's necessarily right but from being in the clubhouses, the players get very protective of the clubbies

I'm not certain it is arbitrary. It may have been about the amount of the food invoices.

It seems like an antiquated system that needs an overhaul. I wonder if the laundry works the same way? Do the players pay someone to do wash their uniforms?

And what about this angle? I finish dinner at a restaurant and ask the waitress about her pay. I don't like the answer so I refuse to pay my bill.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
I'm not certain it is arbitrary. It may have been about the amount of the food invoices.

It seems like an antiquated system that needs an overhaul. I wonder if the laundry works the same way? Do the players pay someone to do wash their uniforms?

And what about this angle? I finish dinner at a restaurant and ask the waitress about her pay. I don't like the answer so I refuse to pay my bill.

The laundry falls under the entire same system. The scenario is a little different. It's against the law to not pay the waitress. The players to not have to pay here. The players do it to give big tips to the clubbies while understanding that a portion goes to paying for the food. In this case the players tipped the clubbies directly instead of giving it to the clubhouse manager to distribute. It's just a pain to have to find them individually.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
The laundry falls under the entire same system. The scenario is a little different. It's against the law to not pay the waitress. The players to not have to pay here. The players do it to give big tips to the clubbies while understanding that a portion goes to paying for the food. In this case the players tipped the clubbies directly instead of giving it to the clubhouse manager to distribute. It's just a pain to have to find them individually.

The article states they pay $50 per day for food PLUS tip.

Again, this seems so antiquated. Management pays players so they can pay management's other employees.

"I'm going to pay you $200,000 per year. But *you* will pay the IT guy that supports you and the cleaning lady. The company isn't responsible for their salaries.

And this is part of a multiple billion dollar organization?!

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
The article states they pay $50 per day for food PLUS tip.

Again, this seems so antiquated. Management pays players so they can pay management's other employees.

"I'm going to pay you $200,000 per year. But *you* will pay the IT guy that supports you and the cleaning lady. The company isn't responsible for their salaries.

And this is part of a multiple billion dollar organization?!

And I thought you were a teacher...