Rick Hahn on Inside the Clubhouse

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (captain54 @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 06:25 PM)
Basically BS. Look up the Sox record from 1951-1981. 16 straight winning seasons from 1951-67. Winning seasons in 72 and 77.

On the way to 4 straight losing seasons with 2016. 2 of those stretches during the JR regime. Prior to that 68-77, 4 straight losing. You have to go back then to the end of WW II to find another bad stretch

You go by record. I go by championships. how much would this board complain about the team if the currently were on the winning season streak with no championships.

there would be complaining about how they can't finish a season or how the manager burns out the players and they can't win the world Series. The point of the game is Winning the World series or not.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
So does this excuse the state we're in?

Just look at everything now. The entire organization top to bottom is viewed publically as dynsfunctional, decrepit, and unable or unwilling to change.

I'll be willing to bet when the time comes and a new owner takes over, immediate changes will take place for the White Sox and within 5 years everyone will know (whether it was publically stated by then) that our current regime in 2016 severly impacted the future of the ballclub because JR just didn't want a rebuild

This is currently true which is why changes need to be made now. This is not true for the entire reign of JR however.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 07:13 PM)
Yep you are supposed to bow at the JR shrine :notworthy , no matter how far his loyalty to ex players runs the team into the ground and like it. Hell with that, I was a Sox fan before he owned the team and will be long after he is gone.

I don't think anyone has said that. That is taking the "I hate JR" to the extreme. I think it's more the posters that are trying to say that no one currently with this team has done anything to help this team. That is extremely short sighted and big on revisionist history.

I just disagree with the comment that he has done nothing for this team or franchise.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 06:37 PM)
I don't think anyone has said that. That is taking the "I hate JR" to the extreme. I think it's more the posters that are trying to say that no one currently with this team has done anything to help this team. That is extremely short sighted and big on revisionist history.

I just disagree with the comment that he has done nothing for this team or franchise.

36 years now with Jerry Reinsdorf as owner of the Chicago White Sox.

18 of those 36 years, or exactly 50% of his time as owner, the Sox have finished at .500 or below.

6 of those 36 years, or 17% of his time as owner, the Sox have won 90 or more games.

5 of those 36 years, or 14% of his time as owner, the Sox have reached the postseason.

1 of those 36 years, the Sox made it to the World Series, and they won it.

Avg. game attendance in 1980, the year before JR bought the team: 14,819* (* - actual fans in attendance vs. tickets sold)

Avg. game attendance in 2015, last full year of JR's ownership of team: 21,677

There ya go! That is the record of Jerry Reinsdorf as head honcho of the Sox. Has he "done nothing for the team or franchise" over nearly four decades as the owner? No, you can't say that. There was 2005, and it was magnificent. Outside of that wondrous year, well, you look at his record and draw your own conclusion. I know what I think!

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)
36 years now with Jerry Reinsdorf as owner of the Chicago White Sox.

18 of those 36 years, or exactly 50% of his time as owner, the Sox have finished at .500 or below.

9 of those 36 years, or 25% of his time as owner, the Sox have won 90 or more games.

5 of those 36 years, or 14% of his time as owner, the Sox have reached the postseason.

1 of those 36 years, the Sox made it to the World Series, and they won it.

Avg. game attendance in 1980, the year before JR bought the team: 14,819* (* - actual fans in attendance vs. tickets sold)

Avg. game attendance in 2015, last full year of JR's ownership of team: 21,677

There ya go! That is the record of Jerry Reinsdorf as head honcho of the Sox. Has he "done nothing for the team or franchise" over nearly four decades as the owner? No, you can't say that. There was 2005, and it was magnificent. Outside of that wondrous year, well, you look at his record and draw your own conclusion. I know what I think!

Good for you. I know what you think too. I disagree. I'll take the World Series win over the years of good but never winning the world series teams.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
You go by record. I go by championships. how much would this board complain about the team if the currently were on the winning season streak with no championships.

there would be complaining about how they can't finish a season or how the manager burns out the players and they can't win the world Series. The point of the game is Winning the World series or not.

A silly argument. Really

Look back at how baseball was structured between 1951-1967, during the 16 yr streak of winning seasons by the Sox. No divisional playoffs, no wild card. You either had the best record in the AL or NL, or you went home.

The other question would be, with this current stellar ownership, winners of 1 championship in 36 tries, how is it they for the life of them, can't figure out how to get to the playoffs but once, in 11 yrs.?

QUOTE (captain54 @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
A silly argument. Really

Look back at how baseball was structured between 1951-1967, during the 16 yr streak of winning seasons by the Sox. No divisional playoffs, no wild card. You either had the best record in the AL or NL, or you went home.

The other question would be, with this current stellar ownership, winners of 1 championship in 36 tries, how is it they for the life of them, can't figure out how to get to the playoffs but once, in 11 yrs.?

This is a different discussion. They have had a bad enough run lately that they deserve whatever people want to throw at them. My comment was directed at the comment that they have done nothing in the entire ownership of JR.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
Good for you. I know what you think too. I disagree. I'll take the World Series win over the years of good but never winning the world series teams.

As I said, draw your own conclusion. If you are content with something special coming by once every nearly 40 years, well, to each his own. Be satisfied with just that. I'll join the chorus of others who hope for and expect better production than that.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)
As I said, draw your own conclusion. If you are content with something special coming by once every nearly 40 years, well, to each his own. Be satisfied with just that. I'll join the chorus of others who hope for and expect better production than that.

You are entitled to that view. However, they've had many successful seasons unless the 1983 team winning 99 games and that really good run in the 90's doesn't count. i would consider those special seasons along with the World Series win.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
A silly argument. Really

Not to mention the NY Yankees juggernaut played in 12 World Series from 51-67.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 02:27 AM)

I know most people on this board despise Ozzie, but I thank the heavens every day that once we got in the WS, Ozzie made sure we won the damn thing. There are no guarantees you ever get back. The city of Chicago would still have been happy just making the WS. I thank Ozzie for instilling the right atmosphere for that team to CRUISE through the entire postseason.

Now I am not dumb enough to think Ozzie played in the games, but I've seen enough teams reach the Finals or the WS and not win the crown. They blame inexperience and all that. The White Sox not only reached the WS but won it. No matter how bad our current team is, and it has been among the worst organizations in all of baseball since '05, I am thankful to Oz and everybody for getting it done in 05. If they hadn't smoked Houston who knows when we'd ever win a WS. It might be 40-50 years before Sox win another one.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 07:45 PM)
You are entitled to that view. However, they've had many successful seasons unless the 1983 team winning 99 games and that really good run in the 90's doesn't count. i would consider those special seasons along with the World Series win.

"Many successful seasons"? During the last 36 years? How "many"? By my count, only five, given the team has only made it to the postseason five times during that period.

Making it to the playoffs is what defines "success" in baseball, and nothing less. At least that's my point of view, and one shared by no less than our ace starter and perennial All Star, Chris Sale. He's on record saying he hasn't played in a "meaningful game" in his entire career since the Sox haven't made it to the postseason since he joined the team way back in 2012.

So you are, of course, entitled to call a season "special" under your own terms, but successful? That is making it to the postseason, and nothing else.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 10:53 PM)
"Many successful seasons"? During the last 36 years? How "many"? By my count, only five, given the team has only made it to the postseason five times during that period.

Making it to the playoffs is what defines "success" in baseball, and nothing less. At least that's my point of view, and one shared by no less than our ace starter and perennial All Star, Chris Sale. He's on record saying he hasn't played in a "meaningful game" in his entire career since the Sox haven't made it to the postseason since he joined the team way back in 2012.

So you are, of course, entitled to call a season "special" under your own terms, but successful? That is making it to the postseason, and nothing else.

OK. Going back to your definition of success, how many times did they make the post season in the 30 years prior to JR's group buying the team? 1 time in 60 years.Fewer than with JR. Under JR ownership group they made the playoffs 5 times ( would have been 6 in 1994) in 36 years.

Obviously the difference in the rules changed this but they weren't successful by your definition.

Regardless of the post season, you can have the multiple good but not great season and I'll take the only World Series championship.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)

Not me.

I'd almost sell my soul to have a run like they had from 51-67. Knowing they were going to win more then they lost at the end of the year, knowing they had a reasonable chance to make the expanded playoffs more then once every seven years and knowing that fans and the media actually cared.

You can't win the World Series if you don't get to the playoffs first.

That's the initial step...after that it's a crapshoot, especially in a short series.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)
9 of those 36 years, or 25% of his time as owner, the Sox have won 90 or more games.

That figure is wrong.

The Sox won 90+ games under JR six times: 1983, 1990, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2006.

Mark

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)

2010...not 12

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 11:01 PM)
Not me.

I'd almost sell my soul to have a run like they had from 51-67. Knowing they were going to win more then they lost at the end of the year, knowing they had a reasonable chance to make the expanded playoffs more then once every seven years and knowing that fans and the media actually cared.

You can't win the World series if you don't get to the playoffs first.

That's the initial step...after that it's a crapshoot, especially in a short series.

Mark

That's fine. I'm taking the one World Series win over the multiple good years with no World Series wins. I would rather see and experience that Win than watch the teams be good but never win it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 11:05 PM)
That's fine. I'm taking the one World Series win over the multiple good years with no World Series wins. I would rather see and experience that Win than watch the teams be good but never win it.

We've seen them win in our lifetimes. I wanna see a run where they are competitive making it fun to watch everyday of every season. Obviously I want them to win the whole thing again, but I just want to see them be good again.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
Not me.

You can't win the World Series if you don't get to the playoffs first.

Mark

Dynasties don't exist anymore. I do wonder if Braves fans miss those old days.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 10:33 PM)
We've seen them win in our lifetimes. I wanna see a run where they are competitive making it fun to watch everyday of every season. Obviously I want them to win the whole thing again, but I just want to see them be good again.

Well we did get to see a nice April for a change.