Rick Hahn on Inside the Clubhouse

Y2Jimmy0

Hahn was on with Levine and Esposito today.

Tons of lawyer talk as always but a couple of things

More suitors for their players in offseason

Players on ML rosters available as well as 2016 draft picks

Great deal of progress in INTL Scouting

Praised Paddy and Hostetler and talked about the recent draft picks while noting the SSS

As good as anyone at developing pitching

Acknowledged that they were behind the 8 ball with developing position players but noted that they made some changes to correct this a few years back

Mentioned guys like: Semien, Trayce, Micah, Phegley who aren't playing for them but allowed them to acquire guys that "could help" them from other organizations

Deferred all questions about Robin and the staff to the offseason but it's pretty clear that he won't be back

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)

More suitors for their players in offseason

Players on ML rosters available as well as 2016 draft picks

Great deal of progress in INTL Scouting

Praised Paddy and Hostetler and talked about the recent draft picks while noting the SSS

Acknowledged that they were behind the 8 ball with developing position players but noted that they made some changes to correct this a few years back

Mentioned guys like: Semien, Trayce, Micah, Phegley who aren't playing for them but allowed them to acquire guys that "could help" them from other organizations

Deferred all questions about Robin and the staff to the offseason but it's pretty clear that he won't be back

I wish they'd bring in a whole new coaching staff built around developing a rebuild.

I think the position development is slowly coming around.

Lastly, I hope they do a full rebuild.

Rick Hahn may think there are going to be more suitors. But that doesnt mean the price will be met. Heyman in his last article posted pretty much the same thing from another front office executive. Just because there is more people doesnt make your price any less ridiculous.

Does anyone honestly think their price is going to be met? Or that they actually want someone to meet that price? I actually think they dont want their price to be met so they can keep on going in their dream world where they can just add a few veterans and compete.

Edited by Baron

Next year is just going to be another attempt at winning with roughly the same team and new coaching staff.

Sale, Quintana, Shields. Rodon, Gonzalez will be the rotation unless Shields goes in a waiver deal this month.

They'll start the season with Melky, Frazier, and Lawrie. They'll sign two different catchers again. Same old stuff.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
Rick Hahn may think there are going to be more suitors. But that doesnt mean the price will be met. Heyman in his last article posted pretty much the same thing from another front office executive. Just because there is more people doesnt make your price any less ridiculous.

Does anyone honestly think their price is going to be met? Or that they actually want someone to meet that price? I actually think they dont want their price to be met so they can keep on going in their dream world where they can just add a few veterans and compete.

Agree. I think from DD comments, Sale was definitely not for sale. I also think he will not be "tradeable" in the winter as well unless he has another meltdown. Not sure about Q but I think he will be back next year as well. I can see them flipping Melky or Frazier for someone comparable to appear they are involved.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)

In other words, the approach to compete in "Year 3" of the 3 Year Plan will be the same approach as the one used in "Year 1" and "Year 2", which brought the team 76 wins last year and is on pace for 77 victories this year. Terrific! You go, Rick! You go! Don't change a thing. It's all going according to plan!

Lol - somebody ought to ask Reinsdorf, Williams and Hahn what they actually mean when they say they want to compete. They throw that phrase around a lot, but it's not entirely clear what they mean. Certainly the traditional understanding doesn't seem to square up with the actions and decisions they make to approach each season (see last offseason dumpster dive moves).

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)

If the reports that JR does not want a rebuild are accurate, this makes it clear what's going to happen next year.

Mark

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)

If that's the case, then there shouldn't be any reluctance to move your only tradeable assets, starting pitching. Provided the price is right.

Cut the BS, Rick. You can count on one hand the only real tradeable assets. Coincidentally, all part of the "core" and the 3 yr plan. Tearing down the "core" is as likely as me having sex with Scarlett Johannsen

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
Agree. I think from DD comments, Sale was definitely not for sale. I also think he will not be "tradeable" in the winter as well unless he has another meltdown. Not sure about Q but I think he will be back next year as well. I can see them flipping Melky or Frazier for someone comparable to appear they are involved.

It was also stated that Moncada is off limits. They can f*** right off then. People in the media and even Sox fans on this site act like it's not the Sox that have the leverage. Sale and Quintana are the assets. It's not the other way around. I don't understand this thinking that they purposely asked for too much. Any of the packages that were traded at the deadline aren't even close to enough for Sale or Quintana. It's absurd. Sale is owed $39 million over next 3 years. Quintana is owed $40 million over the next 4 and yet there are some on this site (Yes, Baron I'm referring to you) that want to trade for $0.75 on the $1.00 just because they want change. It's a really incredibly stupid thought process.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
If the reports that JR does not want a rebuild are accurate, this makes it clear what's going to happen next year.

Mark

Where are these reports? I've actually seen the opposite from Scot Gregor and Matt Spiegel. Both have heard that JR is ready to do it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
It was also stated that Moncada is off limits. They can f*** right off then. People in the media and even Sox fans on this site act like it's not the Sox that have the leverage. Sale and Quintana are the assets. It's not the other way around. I don't understand this thinking that they purposely asked for too much. Any of the packages that were traded at the deadline aren't even close to enough for Sale or Quintana. It's absurd. Sale is owed $39 million over next 3 years. Quintana is owed $40 million over the next 4 and yet there are some on this site (Yes, Baron I'm referring to you) that want to trade for $0.75 on the $1.00 just because they want change. It's a really incredibly stupid thought process.

Ever think that maybe their price is ridiculous and they might never get traded? Or do you just automatically assume that whatever price they are asking for must be correct?

There's a reason they will probably both be on the roster during Spring Training. The price is silly and no one wants to pay it. I think Rick Hahn fully understands that and he doesnt actually want to sell them.

Plus let's shoot down this whole notion that because more teams are involved that definitely means they'll be traded. There's something called free agency. Now whether you think that talent is scarce in free agency doesnt matter. Free agents only cost money. Chris Sale costs prospects. That's going to hold up the whole process for months. Teams will wait for Hahn to lower his price if he even wants to trade him which I really doubt.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
Ever think that maybe their price is ridiculous and they might never get traded? Or do you just automatically assume that whatever price they are asking for must be correct?

There's a reason they will probably both be on the roster during Spring Training. The price is silly and no one wants to pay it. I think Rick Hahn fully understands that and he doesnt actually want to sell them.

Plus let's shoot down this whole notion that because more teams are involved that definitely means they'll be traded. There's something called free agency. Now whether you think that talent is scarce in free agency doesnt matter. Free agents only cost money. Chris Sale costs prospects. That's going to hold up the whole process for months. Teams will wait for Hahn to lower his price if he even wants to trade him which I really doubt.

They will be the #1 and #2 pitchers available this offseason and it's not close. It's going to take a lot. Why would they trade them for less than that? Lets pretend that barstoolDave's info was accurate. Boston offered Benintendi, Kopech, one of Brian Johnson or Trey Ball and a PTBNL. Lets say the PTBNL was Swihart. Would you have traded Q for Benintendi, Swihart, Ball, and Kopech?

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)

Not all teams can afford to sign free agent aces, but probably every team could afford Chris Sale. Unless you can tell us a package that the Sox rejected for Sale, you are advocating trading him just to trade him. And they might both be on the roster next year, but if you really are gung ho for a rebuild, trading your biggest pieces and settling is really setting you up to suck for a real long time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
if you really are gung ho for a rebuild, trading your biggest pieces and settling is really setting you up to suck for a real long time.

Agree. That should be obvious to others as well, which makes it rather curious that some pine for that.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Agree. That should be obvious to others as well, which makes it rather curious that some pine for that.

Who's actually pining for it?

And no Jimmy I would not take that offer.

Allen it doesnt matter if they could afford him money wise. They still have to trade prospects and there's only a handful of teams with a farm system that can do that. I guarantee you they rather not have him and keep their prospects while settling for a lower player/ paying him. That's the universal rule in all sports. Young assets/draft picks > paying players over market value. If they dont change their price they are both going to be on the roster next year and pretty much forced to go for it again. That's just reality.

They better make up their minds soon. Sale's value is probably going to drop off after next year.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
Dying during it would be the way to go.

100% agreed. That should be the new Kavorkian plan for all states in the world. Just allow you to fornicate with a perfect clone of your dream woman as your vitals are flatlining.

Ok. This has gone too far.

:)

If the Sox bust up their solid to excellent rotation it's going to take a long long long time to re-build that part of the team. I see no solutions because the defense is still bad, the bullpen reeks and the offense is bad. Too many holes that can only be filled with first-round draft picks (if they pan out). I see a long long stint of futility coming.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 07:04 PM)
More BS from Sox management SOS.

I hope Hahn has somebody in mind for manager. He shouldn't care if Robin finds out he's already looking. There's no reason to worry about offending Robin. Decide who you want as manager and announce it right after the season.

This mess isn't all Robin's fault, but the dysfunctional losses and weird stretches of baseball dictate his removal.