Rick Hahn on Inside the Clubhouse

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
I hope Hahn has somebody in mind for manager. He shouldn't care if Robin finds out he's already looking. There's no reason to worry about offending Robin. Decide who you want as manager and announce it right after the season.

This mess isn't all Robin's fault, but the dysfunctional losses and weird stretches of baseball dictate his removal.

See robin is in his last year so unless he gets a extentions hes probably not back. Next hahn is probably going to do interviews and that can take some time. Plus if they have guys thats on other teams like bench coaches to interview they have to get permission from the team. Not a just hire someone and be done kinda decision. again realize jerry is probably going to have some say in it. Heck robin was offered the job and he had no previous experience and didnt want the job.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
Mentioned guys like: Semien, Trayce, Micah, Phegley who aren't playing for them but allowed them to acquire guys that "could help" them from other organizations

LOL Hahn raves about the development of guys he dumped for average veterans on short term contracts.

You can't make this stuff up.

Well, he's right...the development isn't as bad as reputed.

But his use of assets has been clownish. And Hahn is completely oblivious to reality.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Where are these reports? I've actually seen the opposite from Scot Gregor and Matt Spiegel. Both have heard that JR is ready to do it.

Jim:

I've been told by two independent sources that JR does not want to do this and have posted such on the site.

Take it for whatever you think it is worth. The sources are good ones I can assure you.

Add in Buster Olney's comments about the issues with the Sox chain of command and I think it's clear to me anyway that the front office is not unified on a plan forward and remember JR has the final word.

I think they badly need a rebuild but I just don't see JR at his age approving that to say nothing of Kenny's "go for it" attitude.

We'll see.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
See robin is in his last year so unless he gets a extentions hes probably not back. Next hahn is probably going to do interviews and that can take some time. Plus if they have guys thats on other teams like bench coaches to interview they have to get permission from the team. Not a just hire someone and be done kinda decision. again realize jerry is probably going to have some say in it. Heck robin was offered the job and he had no previous experience and didnt want the job.

Lifer:

JR has the FINAL say in managerial hirings. The candidate recommended by Kenny Hahn sees JR for an interview / visit usually at his home in Arizona. The JR lets Kenny Hahn know what he thinks, if he says no...the hiring does not happen. (Same for broadcasters by the way...)

Mark

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)

Ugh. I don't like the process. Whoever you think is THE guy, think about it now and make it happen quickly after the season. Cutting the list to five and interviewing them will guarantee us s***. The Royals did that and got Trey Hillman. He interviewed the best and had a vision. You all know I want Leyland or LaRussa. Talk them into returning with $$$$. What about Girardi? Surely the Yanks are sick of him by now. Or Gardy?

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
Jim:

I've been told by two independent sources that JR does not want to do this and have posted such on the site.

Take it for whatever you think it is worth. The sources are good ones I can assure you.

Add in Buster Olney's comments about the issues with the Sox chain of command and I think it's clear to me anyway that the front office is not unified on a plan forward and remember JR has the final word.

I think they badly need a rebuild but I just don't see JR at his age approving that to say nothing of Kenny's "go for it" attitude.

We'll see.

Add in the DD comment that he never heard back from Hahn after Friday and I think it is pretty obvious that Hahn was not aggressively shopping.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
They will be the #1 and #2 pitchers available this offseason and it's not close. It's going to take a lot. Why would they trade them for less than that? Lets pretend that barstoolDave's info was accurate. Boston offered Benintendi, Kopech, one of Brian Johnson or Trey Ball and a PTBNL. Lets say the PTBNL was Swihart. Would you have traded Q for Benintendi, Swihart, Ball, and Kopech?

Not necessarily. They are only available if Hahn can find a trading partner. If his demands are unrealistic, then they will return next year. If Hahn says he wants X and every GM says no thanks, then maybe Hahn has overrated their demands.

I doubt anyone but the respective FO know what offers were made. Boston Globe writer speculated it was 4 of 5 Andrew Benintendi, Yoan Moncada, Blake Swihart, Michael Kopech, Rafael Devers for Sale. To your question I would have taken Benintendi, Kopech, Devers and Vazquez for Q. I would not want Swihart. Not sure if Boston does that.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
I want to see a entirely new coaching staff. I love what Cooper has accomplished here, but I think it's a time for a change at pitching coach too. I'm certain this allies to him, but guys can become complacent over time. I want our new manager to be able to put together his own staff from scratch.

Looking for a manager while your current manager is still employed, would turn off a lot of candidates

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 07:58 PM)
Looking for a manager while your current manager is still employed, would turn off a lot of candidates

There are only 30 of these jobs available in the world, so unless you are talking about the top two or three managers in the game, this wouldn't come into play for a candidate for any potential Sox managerial opening.

Meanwhile, nothing for a White Sox fan to be concerned about, because none of the top managers currently in the game have a tie to the Sox organization, so that disqualifies them from consideration by Jerry Reinsdorf in the first place. That's how it works for the owner successful in only 5 of the 36 seasons he's been at the helm.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Next year is just going to be another attempt at winning with roughly the same team and new coaching staff.

Sale, Quintana, Shields. Rodon, Gonzalez will be the rotation unless Shields goes in a waiver deal this month.

They'll start the season with Melky, Frazier, and Lawrie. They'll sign two different catchers again. Same old stuff.

That's a nice rotation many teams can't match. Gonzalez is doing well and doesn't get much praise. If you have a decent staff like that you don't blow it up. You build around it. As for Frazier I hope he will have a better season after a year in the AL. Same with Abreu. I think if the pen wasn't this bad the Sox would not be out of it. If they get leadership from inside the organization again, I expect mediocrity no matter who is on the field. The only manager that had two playoff teams this century happen to be a former player but got his coaching experience in another organization.

Deferred all questions about Robin and the staff to the offseason but it's pretty clear that he won't be back

Even if Robin isn't brought back, what ex-White Sox player do you prefer they hire to replace him?

The pandering they do to fill this role is pretty insulting to Sox fans. Just hire the best guy available, he doesn't have to be a former Sox player. That either shows they don't value the role and/or just pandering to a fickle fan base.

Hahn was on with Levine and Esposito today.

Tons of lawyer talk as always but a couple of things

More suitors for their players in offseason

Players on ML rosters available as well as 2016 draft picks

Great deal of progress in INTL Scouting

Praised Paddy and Hostetler and talked about the recent draft picks while noting the SSS

As good as anyone at developing pitching

Acknowledged that they were behind the 8 ball with developing position players but noted that they made some changes to correct this a few years back

Mentioned guys like: Semien, Trayce, Micah, Phegley who aren't playing for them but allowed them to acquire guys that "could help" them from other organizations

Deferred all questions about Robin and the staff to the offseason but it's pretty clear that he won't be back

Hahn is right - their own minor league talent has allowed them to acquire major league talent (latest example of Frazier), but the team isn't winning and the offense is awful.

They are good at developing pitching, but, as of right now, knowing they have traded some offensive talent in trades, who are the offensive players in the minors?

Even Tim Anderson, who clearly has talent, isn't going to last in the majors if he can't show patience at the plate. Pitchers are just going to throw him garbage and his batting average will keep dropping.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
Rick Hahn may think there are going to be more suitors. But that doesnt mean the price will be met. Heyman in his last article posted pretty much the same thing from another front office executive. Just because there is more people doesnt make your price any less ridiculous.

Does anyone honestly think their price is going to be met? Or that they actually want someone to meet that price? I actually think they dont want their price to be met so they can keep on going in their dream world where they can just add a few veterans and compete.

It's going to be nearly impossible to find equal talent, and a team who has a group of top young talent, willing to move it for Sale.

I get waiting until the off-season, but even then, you can probably knock off 25 teams right away because their top prospects are not elite. You have more teams probably involved that you would at the deadline, but will teams be as desperate? This last week could have been great pickings if they pulled the trigger - some of the pitching that was traded did bring back quite a haul.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Next year is just going to be another attempt at winning with roughly the same team and new coaching staff.

Sale, Quintana, Shields. Rodon, Gonzalez will be the rotation unless Shields goes in a waiver deal this month.

They'll start the season with Melky, Frazier, and Lawrie. They'll sign two different catchers again. Same old stuff.

If they brought back that rotation, Rodon has to emerge for this team to have any chance of breaking .500, much less contend.

Shields is probably going to regress - that was my hang-up on trading for him. If he had a 1 year deal, fine. Even with SD paying a large part, the Sox still owe him $27 over 3 years. Not a huge investment, but a good one on a team that has to be smart financially. Don't want 2 more years of Shields after this season, but he's likely to be here.

Rodon is the guy here - the Sox would probably be a pretty good team if they could find a way to add 2 legitimate hitters to the current team. Rodon has top of the rotation stuff, but it hasn't been there consistently. If it did, adding to Sale and Quintana, they could get a lot better quickly just by adding a RF and DH.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
Where are these reports? I've actually seen the opposite from Scot Gregor and Matt Spiegel. Both have heard that JR is ready to do it.

This is Dan Bernstein saying this, and he may be right (despite being a social nut who can't keep his left wing politics off a sports how, but I regress). I don't think anyone knows what Reinsdorf is thinking except his inner circle.

Ask for an unreasonable king's ransom for Sale. I could see teams then ponying up less, but still an amazing deal(for us) for Q.

Teams might be low balling the Sox since it seemed like Kenny got the short end of the stick on some deals in the past. And teams might think they could get another over on the Sox. Don't f***ing sell low on Sale or Q. The asking price is not too high.

And yes, please no god damn ex Sox player as the next manager please? I'd be happy with Martinez or Alomar. It should of been either one of them the last time! F***

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 12:38 AM)
Ask for an unreasonable king's ransom for Sale. I could see teams then ponying up less, but still an amazing deal(for us) for Q.

Teams might be low balling the Sox since it seemed like Kenny got the short end of the stick on some deals in the past. And teams might think they could get another over on the Sox. Don't f***ing sell low on Sale or Q. The asking price is not too high.

And yes, please no god damn ex Sox player as the next manager please? I'd be happy with Martinez or Alomar. It should of been either one of them the last time! F***

Er, Alomar is an ex-Sox player.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 03:42 AM)
Rick Hahn talked to Conner McKnight on White Sox Weekly (Saturday, August 6th), on WLS radio.

The interview can be heard at this link:

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/video/v55705...hite-sox-weekly

I love how he mentioned that the position player development in the organization is making progress as it helped them acquire Shields and Frazier. So let me get this straight, the few decent players you did produce-- were sent off for 30+ year old veterans and that's a good thing? How is this a sign of progress within the organization? You made the weak farm system weaker and your main roster still sucks. He can spin it however he wants-- this team is in a big mess and he along with KW are the reasons why. When he took over in 2013 and started acquirering young talent-- I was like "Finally!" Then 2015 happened and he turned into KW 2.0-- I'm sorry but he needs to go. We should not accept this as a fanbase . It has been 8 freakin years.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
I love how he mentioned that the position player development in the organization is making progress as it helped them acquire Shields and Frazier. So let me get this straight, the few decent players you did produce-- were sent off for 30+ year old veterans and that's a good thing? How is this a sign of progress within the organization? You made the weak farm system weaker and your main roster still sucks. He can spin it however he wants-- this team is in a big mess and he along with KW are the reasons why. When he took over in 2013 and started acquirering young talent-- I was like "Finally!" Then 2015 happened and he turned into KW 2.0-- I'm sorry but he needs to go. We should not accept this as a fanbase . It has been 8 freakin years.

2015 happened because they had some nice pieces and jerry couldn't sit on his hands no longer to let them keep building up. He accelerated it and wanted to compete. Problem is there were still too many holes on the roster. Keep patching things and wanting to win isnt helping and hahn is the only one to acknowledge that. Havent heard anything from kenny or jerry about it. Hell kenny didn't even know of they were buying or selling.